New army conundrum

It's dark. It's grim. There's a big eye that's terrorizing. Suck it, Sauron!

New army conundrum

Postby DNA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:34 pm

So I sold my Space Wolves and the Daemons of Slaanesh are on EBay as we speak (type?). That means it's time to build a new army. I like fast armies with lots of shooting and some ability in assault. Sounds like Orks, right? They may not have good shooting, but you do get to roll a lot of dice.

The conundrum is my first (second, third, and sixth) armies were IG. I love the Guard (F that Astra Militarum crap). Plus I found http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com. How awesome are these guys? The problem is IG are only a little "fast" and not "assaulty"'at all. But look at those Van Dieman's models! Plus the Taurox conversion is awesome!

The Victorian's have a certain appeal as well.

Choices …
DNA

Re: New army conundrum

Postby mace_ace » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:56 pm

White Scars are incredibly fast, durable, and stabby.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby DNA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 pm

I hadn't thought about another Marine army ...
DNA

Postby mace_ace » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Nids can be very fast as well, or Orks. Both punchy, and Nids are suprisinglydecent at shooting now, but not in cracking armor 14 with shooting. however, their H2H makes up for it.

Edit: I'd love to see what you could do with Nids. If you want a few models to fuck around with just let me know and I can give you a few.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby DNA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Nids … meh

This looks so good Image

Still thinking about White Scars. Great Forge World bikes from the Horus Heresy line is a plus but painting stuff white is a negative.

Are White Scars in the Marine Codex or somewhere else?
DNA

Postby mace_ace » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:00 pm

They're in the marine codex.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby stormboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:19 pm

And White Scars got some nifty detatchments/formations in the last Tau vs Marine campaign.

As far as fast and assaulty, Marines are your best bet. Orks do have a ton of dice - but they just aren't solid enough to maintain a serious offensive or defensive line. Orks are basically good at shooting up to 18 inches, so you get a turn, maybe 2 before you need to assault or you get assaulted. Marines are just much more effective and have a much better ruleset in this edition.

But Tau can make a really solid gun line and they have a peice of terrain that floats across the battlefield...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby SRM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:24 am

You've come back to Guard more than other armies - makes me think they're the army that really fits you! Those Victoria Lamb miniatures are EXCELLENT and as far as I'm concerned the only third party sculptor who "gets" the GW aesthetic right. Probably helps that she's a multiple Golden Daemon winner. Space Marines have been covered, but here's some other options:

I actually play a really high speed and shooty Guard army, but it's focused around Stormtroopers (or Militarum Tempestus if you want to use faux Latin) in Taurox Primes. They're fast moving trucks with a lot of firepower, and each one carries a squad of Stormtroopers with AP3 guns and special weapons. Alternately, you could do a Valkyrie-heavy list with veterans, but I don't know fun it would be to play against unless you took a lot of anti-air. You could just do good old fashioned Chimera veterans too, which are reasonably mobile and pack a punch.

My Orks, as you found out a few weeks back, are pretty mobile. 'Ardboyz in trukks makes them more survivable when the trukks explode, and also jacks up the points cost per model so you don't have to paint as many dudes. You can also load up on Warbikers (who are genuinely really good), Deffkoptas, Ork fliers, and more and more mechanized Orks for mobility.

Finally, for fast and shooty you've got Dark Eldar as an option. From a strictly competitive stance they're not doing much better than Orks, but unless you're throwing down in the tourney scene you'll do just fine! Cody can chime in on them more though, I only know what it's like to shoot at them.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DNA » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:18 am

You may be on to something there about the Guard being my one true love. Looking back at my army history (IG (5 different armies), Grey Knights, Tyranids, Orks, Chaos Marines, Eldar, Necrons, Vanilla Marines (2 times), Deathwing, Tau (2 times), Daemons, Space Wolves) I have been a fan of flashlights an awful lot.

I am leaning toward the Van Dieman guys for my troops (in the wheeled Taurox), Border Worlders for veterans (dropping out of Valkyries), and some penal legion guys for conscripts (insert joke about penal legion here).

I had a White Scars army using 30K minis in my cart at Forgeworld for a bit, but I don't think I want to paint that much white. It was a very intriguing option though.

Keep the suggestions coming.
DNA

Postby mace_ace » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 am

DNA wrote:Nids … meh

:cry:
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:59 am

DNA wrote:Nids … meh

That's fine I feel the same way about Space Marines.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DNA » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am

Now I could be talked into Nids if I did a Genestealer cult ...

IG and Nids as allies would actually be fluffy in that case. I'd need to look at the rulebook to see if that is even possible.
DNA

Postby Brutal Legend » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 pm

IMO 'Nids are like Orks. You're into them, and then you're really, really into them or you just don't care about them. I think with the addition of the new 'stealer cult models you've got some motivation to go down that path. I've thought about uncrating my 'Nid army. But there are so many models with essentially zero character. It's hard to stay focused on getting that army finished. There are some cool lists you can build.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:51 pm

ya Genestealer cult looks cool.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Honestly though, Marines are the best armies to collect and play with. Good power level, low model count, a lot of different flavors, most traded army on ebay, easy to paint to a good tabletop standard.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion 40K Discussion