Help Getting Back Into 40K

It's dark. It's grim. There's a big eye that's terrorizing. Suck it, Sauron!

Help Getting Back Into 40K

Postby timd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Hey Guys,

Long time no talk. Hope everyone is well.

So for the first time since I started playing about 15 years ago, I've really fallen behind on 40k. I'm basically one edition behind on rules, and one edition behind on Space Marines and Dark Angels. I have the 8th Edition rule book, but I still need both of the codecies mentioned. I had a couple quick questions I was hoping somebody could help me out with.

1. How close is 9th Edition rumored to be? Is it even worth trying to pick up 8th at this point, or is 9th still a ways away?
2. How much change has there been in Space Marines and Dark Angels? I imagine Marines are still pretty much the same, but I was hoping Dark Angels may have gotten a little more viable.
3. Are there other rule sets I need to familiarize with? There's so much on GW's site that it's a little overwhelming.

It's been about a year and a half since I've played any 40k. So not too long, but long enough that I feel pretty out of the loop. Any guidance or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Re: Help Getting Back Into 40K

Postby SRM » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 pm

We're actually still in 7th edition, which has been around for almost 2 full years at this point. It's very close to 6th in a lot of ways, but has a few differences in it, like a separate psychic phase and new missions called Maelstrom of War, where you draw cards for turn-by-turn objectives. Those can be a little swingy, but they're a neat mechanic. Superheavies and formations are also allowed in regular games, but nobody here is the kind of dick who'd bring a Warhound titan to a 1500 point game without asking first. This kinda stuff (and allies) makes the competitive scene a clusterfuck, but I stay out of that anyway.

There's been no real rumors of another edition, GW's been updating every codex to this current edition and while a few are still lagging behind, I think every army has a hardback 6th or 7th edition rulebook that it can use, save for Sisters of Battle. Space Marines are almost the same, Dark Angels got a really solid boost with their 7th ed codex and for the first time probably ever, are a genuinely really good army. Even their flyers are reasonably viable at this point.

In short, it's not too different from how it's ever been, the competitive scene is a goddamn nightmare, but for playing friendly games it can still be a really good time. You don't need to familiarize yourself with any rules outside of the main rulebook/your codex. I'd just pick up the softcover rulebook from the 7th ed Dark Vengeance set on eBay to get up to speed.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:43 pm

Hey Tim, I was wondering where the hell you've been.

There doesn't seem to be a new edition on the horizon, so I'd go ahead and get the current rules. The Space marine stuff hasn't changed too much, as you'd probably expect. The biggest changes for you may be the Chapter Tactics. I'm not sure if you've seen those in play yet.

Have you played with the Tactical Objectives yet?

At any rate if you want a welcome back/relearning game just let me know.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby timd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Awesome, thanks guys. So I guess I'm not as far behind as I thought. I actually think 7th had just come out when I last played and I picked up a copy of the mini-rulebook. That's also really exciting to hear about Dark Angels; they've always been my favorite chapter. I think I'll ease myself back in with that Codex and go from there.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby SRM » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Sweet! Hope you enjoy them; I've had great luck with the army. Although the rules releases come hard and fast, with new formations and stuff coming out all the time, the base codex rules are generally pretty alright. Oh, and Admech are an army now and Jack's got an awesome force of them.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:41 pm

I think the changes aren't huge. I still feel like it's a game you can just show up at the Eagles with an army and play, and learn the rules changes as you go, and not have your opponent want to throttle you or anything.

I think the big changes are the separate psychic phase, as Campbell said (there's a psychic dice pool for both sides, with player 1 using the pool to cast individual powers and his opponent using his [usually much smaller] pool to try and shut down the powers.)

Force org is a little different now, but not much. This is a pretty good description of how it works now: http://www.thediceabide.com/2014/08/what-exactly-is-a-battleforged-army/

Most forces now can use optional formations (the new Codices include them) wherein you include certain numbers and types of units and gain a special bonus rule for using the formation. Formations play kinda like the old "special lists", like 13th Company, Lost and the Damned, etc.

I'm okay with a lot of the changes. I don't think the game plays any faster or slower, and if GW dropped a rule or a step somewhere, they almost always added another one somewhere else. But I'm really, really glad we have the Dorka community to insulate us from the competitive fuckwittery that can now be perpetrated with allies and such.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Discussion 40K Discussion