In defense of 1250 pt battles

It's dark. It's grim. There's a big eye that's terrorizing. Suck it, Sauron!

In defense of 1250 pt battles

Postby DNA » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:20 pm

I have heard that Jon has been stumping for bringing the point value for games down to 1250. I have played a couple of games at that value recently (one narrow win and then followed up by a complete and total whipping of the Jurrasic Park Rangers).

I think he may be on to something positive. A few thoughts ...

I only have 1250 points done of the new army. It's gonna be either "play with that amount" or "don't play at all" for a while. Maybe not the best reason, but it is a limiting factor for me right now (and it's my topic, so I'll say what I want 8) ).

The smaller points value forces you to make tough decisions in your army build. For example, is that 600 point death star worth being half of your army or will it restrict your ability to claim objectives? An 1850 list lets you take that mega-unit and some gribbly objective holders, while the 1250 really makes you think about how to play your army..

Yeah, you are probably going to end up with some sub-optimal lists. Not every army plays well at every point value. My response to that is "whatever." Playing with a less than great list forces you to be tactically creative and think outta the box. Going into a fight knowing that it will be tough builds character.

It takes a lot less time to play. Both 1250 games have been done by 9:30 and we had plenty of time to look up rules during the game and debrief and analyze after.

The smaller point values made movement much more important in the game. An 1850 has the board fairly packed with troops and tanks. The smaller armies meant you had more options to move stuff around and use the terrain and fire lanes.

To paraphrase the SNL skit from way back — discuss...
DNA

Re: In defense of 1250 pt battles

Postby mace_ace » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:27 pm

If that's all you have to play with then that makes sense. I'll play you at 1250 until you build up. That said I don't really like the game at that value because some codexes work incredibly well at that point value, and some simply can't compete at all making it very little fun in some cases.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Brutal Legend » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:58 pm

DNA. Thank you for typing some of your positive thoughts on the whole 1250 points thing. I enjoy the armies and the tactics at this points level. I have discussed starting a 1250 league with some of the members of the club who play 40k and whose opinions I value and trust. As Mason mentioned above, this points level is problematic for many armies as they can't bring a well balanced force to the table.

For me though, it fits better into the "we must be in by 530pm and out by 10pm on a thursday night" format we have to work with. I like there to be more time for socializing, discussing tactics, looking up rules (although I try to have my army summary handy), and generally hanging out and enjoying each other's company.

To each his own. I certainly wouldn't want to legislate anybody's 40k experience, but I like it and I would encourage others to give this points level a try too.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DNA » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:48 pm

mace_ace wrote:If that's all you have to play with then that makes sense. I'll play you at 1250 until you build up. That said I don't really like the game at that value because some codexes work incredibly well at that point value, and some simply can't compete at all making it very little fun in some cases.

Considering the way Fred kicked my ass up and down the table, I may have one of those armies that doesn't play well at lower points :surprised:
DNA

Postby SRM » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:51 am

Horde armies can really stack the table at lower points values - I played a 1000 point game against Mason where I brought over 100 wounds of Guardsmen as a gimmick, and from turn 1 he knew he wouldn't be able to put a meaningful dent in the army. It wasn't a very fun game as my lasguns just cleared the table. That being said, a smaller version of a "regular" army at that level can be really, really fun. I've had some great 1000 point games with Orks, Guard, and all flavors of Marines.

I think some ground rules need to be laid down for games that small (No triple digits of infantry models, no superheavies, at most one flyer) but especially with the time crunch we have, 1250 games can be a lot of fun. I'm all for giving it a shot.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:36 am

Well, daemons definitely scale well to 1250 -- very well, in fact. So, I recognize I'm commenting with that bias. This I confirmed last week playing Dan -- and doing so with a daemon list stripped of any shenanigans (I just used a base codex list -- no formations. Only one flying monstrous creature. Only 1 soul grinder, which I included in this list since I knew Dan would be fielding a lot of Guard tank shooting that should be able to counter it. No daemon artifacts. No 3++ units or possibilities. Very limited summoning capability [I did summon one more herald]. Only one heavy choice; only one fast attack....). Nevertheless, I put a pretty a formidable army on the table. (Though I'm pretty sure I dominated mainly because I had maximum luck with my tactical objectives, while Dan most definitely did not.)

That said, if I can find a 1250 point game with an opponent who is also playing an army that scales well to that level, I'm more than happy to throw down. Our game last week definitely felt like a "real" game of 40k.

Against other opponents, I wonder if it would be possible to craft some narrative scenarios with tailored objectives to create a mutually fun game.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Board index Discussion 40K Discussion