Genestealer Cult Codex

It's dark. It's grim. There's a big eye that's terrorizing. Suck it, Sauron!

Genestealer Cult Codex

Postby Brutal Legend » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm really feeling this release. I'm digging the whole range so far. Is anyone else into this army?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Co ... lts-HB-ENG
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Genestealer Cult Codex

Postby NobleSavage » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:01 am

I really dig the models--they're a neat mix of the new and the old look. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the Codex.

Can't tell if I'd run a genestealer cult or not. Like 'Nids, it's difficult to relate to them. And I don't need another army. But I used to feel the same way about Chaos, so who knows.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby SRM » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:36 pm

I think the models are excellent and part of GW's whole "give the people what they want" idea that they've been following for a while now. I really hope I can play against them at some point; it doesn't seem like an army I'd start, but they're the perfect deplorable gribblies for my Space Marines or Arbites to repress.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:48 pm

That truck they will be releasing is the perfect thing to represent a civilian style vehicle in 40k. A lot of the 4th Gen Hybrids also look suitably "worker" to get a head swap and look civilian.

I think people will start adding these into the Inquisimunda world fairly quickly.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Brutal Legend » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:26 pm

I need to check out the codex. I have plenty of large, mechanized armies so my new philosophy is to have more allied detachments that add flavor to a force. This will add another dimension to my tyranid army. I see getting some cheap troops choices and a cheap HQ out of this codex.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 am

It'll be interesting to see what the Allies matrix will be for this force. Tyranids will be there, but I'm wondering if Guard will be to represent a "full takeover" scenario.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:52 am

They can already take a few Guard units - Leman Russes, infantry squads, and Sentinels as far as I recall - so I'd expect them to be able to ally with IG.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:25 am

I'm glad that they're making this list finally, and not just the OTT GS rules from 3rd ed. The models look great, especially that priest(?) with the ripper topped staff.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:58 am

Now they need to bring back Mine and Fred's Lost and the Damned. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:Now they need to bring back Mine and Fred's Lost and the Damned. :)

Hell yeah.

One could potentially proxy an LatD list using the Genestealer Cult list.

But then, proxying gets to be pretty confusing, particularly these days, when 40k armies are already so cluttered with formations and data sheets and codex supplements and shit.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Chaos is the one area that is still lacking and suffering from the errors of Kirby. Currently, there are 5 codexi (Chaos, Khorne Daemonkin, Daemons, Crimson Slaughter, Black Legion) plus supplements and formations from other areas. Not including Forge World books...

I feel like using a combination of different formations would give you some sort of Lost and Damned - but I can't imagine that being easy or a workable solution to create a real Lost and Damned force.

Genestealer Cult looks to be the first sort of crossover force that lends itself to a Lost and Damned force. Including IG/AM in the Cult codex totally lends itself to a future Lost and the Damned. The thing is that GW needs to find a way to make it unique with some new mutant type models - because it needs to be a splash release with an upgrade sprue and some new models.

It certainly makes sense to me to bring back Lost and the Damned - but I think it needs to happen after they bring Chaos back to 1 (or maybe 2) books. The scary part is that the Fenris campaign will be coming back soon and rumors indicate new Rubric marines and more new formations. Plus a daemon primarch. So it isn't as though they are simplifying anything anytime soon.

Outside of chaos - I can't really think of something GW hasn't done right lately.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 pm

You can mostly do an old school LATD list if you don't mind being unbound, but that feels forced to me and it introduces the "you just picked that because it's good" factor that is easier (but not entirely) avoidable by going with lists.

This codex creep is annoying and I find it humorous, after sitting in the same room as Jervis Johnson when he talked about ending campaign books because it made it to difficult for people to keep track of, that we're sitting here at a massively escalated version of the same thing he was adamant that we avoid.

I recently sat and tinkered with a Space Wolf list but got annoyed at trying to figure out the opions across three different books and ending up with the realization that most of them were complete crap and never built with the intention that anyone should actually play with them in a normal game.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59 am

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Love that Goliath truck!
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Discussion 40K Discussion