Welcome to Age of Shitmar - 40k style...

It's dark. It's grim. There's a big eye that's terrorizing. Suck it, Sauron!

Welcome to Age of Shitmar - 40k style...

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/the-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000-your-questions-answered/

Some of my favorite parts...

What happens to my codexes?
The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever

Love all those codexes and campaign books they've been pushing lately.

And free rules... sound familiar...
How can I get the rules?
We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

Oh, and this gem... notice the "we sell today" caveat there...

Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books

What do you mean “3 ways to play”?
We realise that people like to play Warhammer 40,000 in different ways. 3 broad systems are covered in the new edition: 1) Open play is the most flexible, and easiest to get started with, allowing you to use any miniatures you like. 2) Narrative play is where you can refight the iconic battles of the 41st Millennium, or create your own campaigns and sagas. 3) Matched play is designed for more balanced and competitive games, ideal for gaming clubs, leagues and tournaments. However you want to enjoy playing Warhammer 40,000, there will be rules for that.

And why are they doing this? Because we asked for it. Don't know who the fuck we is and when we asked for it, but it's apparently not the communities I've seen...

Why should I not just stick with current Warhammer 40,000?
This is the version of Warhammer 40,000 you’ve been asking for. We’ve listened to your feedback, and we really believe that this is the best Warhammer 40,000 has ever been.

But I guess this is new and improved, eh?

Why should I trust you?
Come on! This is New Games Workshop™

Oh. I guess it is.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Welcome to Age of Shitmar - 40k style...

Postby Brutal Legend » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 am

My thing is, they always want me to watch a youtube video regarding their latest and greatest thing, but then the youtube video doesn't give any information, it's filled with goofy anglo-phile humor, or it's just filled with inconclusive voice over crap.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:05 pm

I can't understand where all the hate is coming from. 7th ed has become a bloated mess with all the multiple codex expansions, formations, and whatnot. I've played two games of AoS so for and I really like it. I didn't really get it the first game because I was too hung up on why it was so different, but in the 2nd game where I then knew what to expect I loved it!
If they're making 40K go in this direction I'm all for it.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:36 pm

1. Removing the codex confusion is a good thing, but this isn't going to do that. If they truly do follow AOS style, then they'll switch to the "spotlight" release style that scatters attention around to armies rather than making them wait 5 years for a dex, but you'll still have rules "all over the place".

2. All those codexes you've bought in the relatively recent past are just fluff books... So Traitor Legions, Genestealers, et al are just shelf space consumers. All codexes get replaced, but generally they're usable across editions even if they're under strength until a replacement is released. Not so with this edition change. Based on past performance, I'm assuming we'll get some sort of mass dataslate release for each base army that is just units and rules. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to the rule about Space Wolves being allowed to reroll charge ranges if the player shouts "For the Wolftime!" #rolleyes

There's going to be some good that comes from this I'm sure, I'm just not sure what's coming is actually what's been "asked for".
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Well, no great surprise here, I guess. The extend of overhaul the game really does need, at this point, probably does make it necessary to proceed with a clean slate, rather than working the new system through codex by codex.
I'll likely give the new system a good long try. Still love the narrative setting, and my armies. And me being the kind of gamer I am, I do hope the new system streamlines gameplay -- even at the risk of simplifying it. What I am hoping for is a streamlining that does not homogenize the various armies/races/factions.
I am cautiously optimistic. I think Games Workshop really has made efforts to recover some of the spirit and community-responsiveness that the company once had. I would much rather that the project of overhaul be put in the hands of 2017 GW than, say, those of 2014 GW.

So, fingers crossed....
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 am

does not homogenize the various armies/races/factions.

I honestly don't think they'll do this... that might be naive, but we'll see.

I *DO* expect them to lump the various forces into the WFB-esque grouping along the lines of "Imperium, Chaos, Xenos, Hivemind" or something similar as that's basically what the allies matrix already does.

Despite my original post, this whole thing has me at odds. I was just starting to think "Man, I should dust an army off and put a list together" so for me this "all your shit is kaput" (that's hyperbole, don't take the bait) kind of puts a damper on that and just reinforces my general feeling of "why bother".
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

Why bother now, or why bother after 8th is released?
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:18 pm

yeah the Imperium seems pretty fucked after the Wrath of Magnus book, and the three Gathering Storm books. All of which were pretty fun reads and definitely started moving the storyline ahead.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm fucking stoked for this edition. 40k as it stands is collapsing under its own weight, and I've been having way more fun playing AoS than 40k for months now. That's what happens when you bolt on more rules for 20 years without taking anything away. You've got a very different company behind it, using lessons they've learned from Age of Sigmar's less than stellar release, and I'm optimistic it'll be a far better game. In the live Q&A they had yesterday, they said a 1500 point game should take about 90 minutes. I'm all for a streamlined, faster playing, and easier to understand game of 40k.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Time of game improvement is quasi positive I guess... the reason I say "quasi positive" is that while it's important for organized events, if you're playing casually then you're spending more time goofing off rather than worrying about the time overall. It's still a positive thing in general though with the caveat that fun and flavor aren't lost.

Flavor matters. Ask anyone who had an army shit on by GW over the years. The "Big Chaos Dumb Down" Codex that lost all the cool cult marine lists in favor of generic marines and generic daemons is a good example. There's a HUGE difference in simplifying rules and stripping out all uniqueness and coolness under the fervent banner of "reducing complexity".

There was a blurb on the community forums today about statlines changing... more wounds, dropping AV in favor of wounds (good decision overall), adding a movement stat, loss of initiative. It appears interesting where they're going. It'll be more interesting to see how much they fuck up... and they will. To paraphrase Campbell, you strip out 20 years of bloat and you're bound to piss somebody off.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:36 pm

It won't be a perfect transition, I guarantee that, but I don't think it'll be a return to the 3rd edition launch's bland get-you-by armylists. For what it's worth, even with the warscrolls that all came out for AoS at launch, there was still a fair amount of the character retained for each of the armies. Age of Sigmar has continued to have pretty characterful rules for its units in addition to being easy to read and easy to play, and I'm pretty confident we'll get the same for 40k. I know how much it sucked for Chaos to go generic for three editions in a row, and for IG to get the same treatment, but I think the release of the traitor legions supplement is a sign of how much individuality they want to retain. It's a balancing act for sure, but I'm hopeful.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:50 am

Info on the Psychic Phase today on Warhammer Community... I'll unequivocally state that going to an AOS style model for this is a vast improvement over the current system. Vast. Improvement.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:44 am

I'm really happy with the AoS magic system so you might say I'm psyched about this news.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 am

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion 40K Discussion