Painting large, flat metallic surfaces?

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Painting large, flat metallic surfaces?

Postby TheRhino » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 am

Any of you guys paint an army that uses a lot of large, flat metallic surfaces? Grey Knight Rhinos or something to that effect? I'm working on Ultramarine drop pods, and the metallic sections of the fins are making me nuts. I can't seem to get good, even layers of paint without pooling and brush strokes. Like this:

Any fixes or suggestions?
TheRhino

Re: Painting large, flat metallic surfaces?

Postby Brutal Legend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 am

I usually have to hit the middle areas of flat surfaces once or twice more to guarantee an even coat. It is a pet peeve of mine to have non-opaque layers too.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 am

Lots of thin layers. Nearly dry-brushed on.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby TheRhino » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 am

Hmm. Do you guys think applying a quick coat of grey over the metallic parts before the metallic would cut down on some of the problem?
TheRhino

Postby mace_ace » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 am

No I think that'd be over thinking it and adding additional and uneeded steps. Alex was right with a slower drybrush.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Brutal Legend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:22 am

TheRhino wrote:Hmm. Do you guys think applying a quick coat of grey over the metallic parts before the metallic would cut down on some of the problem?

I used to do this before they came out with the newer paints with better coverage. It does add a lot of work and extends the painting time of the model to ridiculousness. I did grey undercoat for silver and brown undercoat for gold. I have a lot of black legion stuff still awaiting their metallics.

Honestly, you paint it grey then you wonder why you didn't just paint a first coat of silver on.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby TheRhino » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am

Brutal Legend wrote:
TheRhino wrote:Hmm. Do you guys think applying a quick coat of grey over the metallic parts before the metallic would cut down on some of the problem?

I used to do this before they came out with the newer paints with better coverage. It does add a lot of work and extends the painting time of the model to ridiculousness. I did grey undercoat for silver and brown undercoat for gold. I have a lot of black legion stuff still awaiting their metallics.

Honestly, you paint it grey then you wonder why you didn't just paint a first coat of silver on.

Well, I do the brown coat under gold in order to warm it up some. Gold over black looks like shit with the Reaper paints I use. I end up having to put three coats of the base gold color on, which clogs details.
TheRhino

Postby afeinman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:19 pm

I occasionally do an undercoat, usually for a color cast. E.g. mid-tone blue underneath Boltgun Metal to get a blue-steel cast.

If you're having trouble with coverage over white, then sure, basecoat grey (or even spray gray). Just make sure it's a THIN layer!
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Interesting, I always paint metal black before I base coat it. I had never thought of doing a blue or brown behind it. I'll have to try that out.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't actually understand the advice bing given here. Are you using the new GW paints? Are you looking for a wash? I would base this whole thing black and then dry brush everything and then paint the blue afterwards.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby TheRhino » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:50 pm

DAPatrick wrote:I don't actually understand the advice bing given here. Are you using the new GW paints? Are you looking for a wash? I would base this whole thing black and then dry brush everything and then paint the blue afterwards.

I use Reaper Master Series paints. I use a black primer, then apply a couple coats of Shadowed Steel. Add a Badab Black wash in seams and edges, and then retouch with Shadowed Steel. After that is a couple coats of Honed Steel. It's all just painted on, slightly thinned with water. No drybrushing at all.
I'm having a bitch of a time getting solid coverage with any of my steel/silver colors on a piece this large. Small stuff like bolters isn't a problem.
TheRhino

Postby 92acclude » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:12 pm

TheRhino wrote:
DAPatrick wrote:I don't actually understand the advice bing given here. Are you using the new GW paints? Are you looking for a wash? I would base this whole thing black and then dry brush everything and then paint the blue afterwards.

I use Reaper Master Series paints. I use a black primer, then apply a couple coats of Shadowed Steel. Add a Badab Black wash in seams and edges, and then retouch with Shadowed Steel. After that is a couple coats of Honed Steel. It's all just painted on, slightly thinned with water. No drybrushing at all.
I'm having a bitch of a time getting solid coverage with any of my steel/silver colors on a piece this large. Small stuff like bolters isn't a problem.

That is sooo much work.....

GW metallics man, great shit...
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2018: 5
2017: 141 | 2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling