Pin Vice Suggestions?

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Pin Vice Suggestions?

Postby agentorange » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:36 pm

I am in the process of assembling the metal Kirai, and Marcus avatars from wyrd. As with a good many of their kits; they do not fit together well at all. I tried to green stuff it but now it looks like more drastic measures are called for. Can anyone recommend a good style of pin vice? I have seen the thin one and the ones with the wooden/plastic ball at the end. Anyone have any preferences?
agentorange

Re: Pin Vice Suggestions?

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 pm

My favorite one looks like this...

You can find them on Amazon, Warstore, etc... you want one with some sort of "knob" on top so it can spin against your palm.

Warstore carries this one from Army Painter... it's decent, but not as erognomic as the larger ones...

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:50 pm

I use that 2nd one (though I had it before Army Painter was a thing, must be re-branded) and have had it for about 12 years. It works well, but I can't compare it to any others. There's also the Dremel route.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm

I also use that Army Painter one, but before it was branded as such. I wrapped some masking tape around the part you turn because it was tearing up my thumb, and it works fine.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby TheRhino » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:06 pm

I use the GW version, which is identical to that first one pictured. That and the sprue cutters are the best tools GW ever made. The pin vise can accommodate up to 1/8" drill bits from a Dremel kit. You just have to take the chuck out, flip it over, and use a little elbow grease.
TheRhino

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Another thing... When you buy drill bits, you end up with a ton of different sizes. This seems awesome at first, then you realize 90% of that shit isn't needed...

I figured out that 0.Xmm (I think I'm using 0.3mm, but I'll confirm when I get home) works perfectly fine for everything I've ever needed to pin... so I bought "bulk" packs of brass rod... like 6x10 packs of rod (10 per pack) in 0.Xmm diameter... then I went on ebay or wherever and bought 0.Xmm Pin Vise bits... not the stupid ass multi pack with all the different sizes... just 10packs of 0.Xmm only. That was like 4 years ago. I'm still not out. I don't wonder about which size bit to use and do I have the right sized "pins"...

For Dremel work, I buy PCB bits that'll fit the stock chuck on my Dremel... these are made for softer materials than most pewter minis, but that hasn't really been an issue... PCB bits look like the pic below. Again, I buy them in 0.Xmm. Note that they'll fit a standard Dremel Chuck...

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 pm

One thing I'll say is the Malifaux stuff does require a pretty thin bit I've found. I'd need to look up the values at home but I know the stock GW bits that comes with there pin vice are too big for some of the finicky joints in Malifaux models.
Jonasty

Postby mace_ace » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 pm

I've used the pin vice above on the tiniest Rackham model's wrists from Confrontation. So it will take a bit small enough for what you need in Malifaux.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby agentorange » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I pick something up and let you guys know how it comes out.
agentorange

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling