SRM Paints Space Hulk

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

SRM Paints Space Hulk

Postby SRM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:07 pm

"Oh cool, SRM's painting Space Hulk. I can't wait what to see what he does with the great figures in this modern, beautiful game!"
Nah, not that one.

"Oh, maybe he's converting his own and using Zone Mortalis stuff and cool kitbashes?"

Nah, that actually sounds kind of difficult.

"Uhhh...."

What how would I even

Now this, this is more what we're talking about:

Yeah, more like that. My dad got that box when it first came out and I wasn't even born yet. I put the Genestealers and Terminators together (badly) when I was maybe 9 years old, and used them in my weird homebrew games from then on. Well, after painting so many retro Ultramarines I decided it'd be nice to have a little palette cleanser. I realized I hadn't painted xenos in years, and I had these models lying around, so why not? For starters, I painted the first 10 Genestealers:

I didn't take the same time or care I'd put into my Ultramarines, and it was a really wash+drybrush heavy scheme. It was kind of refreshing to crank out 10 models in just a few painting sessions instead of it being a weeks long affair!

Now, some of you might be wondering: What about the Terminators? Well, the Terminators in the actual box set got cannibalized into various armies, including some quite old Crimson Fists:
I don't have the heart to strip those guys really, and I've actually got some quite nice 2nd edition Imperial/Crimson Fists arms I'll be using on 2nd ed Terminators instead:
I think I'll be painting up a few of these boys next (I can't quit you, Space Marines) before moving on to round 2 of the Genestealers. I might have some other things in mind to bring the game up to date (Broodlord, Librarian, etc) but we'll get to that when we get to that...

Also, for anyone wondering, here's where the bases are from: http://www.champindustries.net/orders_b.html I think I saw them (or something REALLY close to them) at Historicon years and years ago, and it was pretty cool to find out they were plastic and only 30 cents a pop!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: SRM Paints Space Hulk

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 am

Looks good. I have always thought the old genestealers were pretty definitive, though there's only one pose. I prefer them to the genestealers that came in the new box.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:07 am

I didn't even know the newer Genestealers were newer sculpts until I saw the models in person! Even though they're all one pose, these guys were really fun to paint.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:13 am

SRM wrote:I didn't even know the newer Genestealers were newer sculpts until I saw the models in person! Even though they're all one pose, these guys were really fun to paint.

Exactly, they are the gibbering, clawing masses with no individual personality. It's distracting if they have too much individuality like many of the new genestealers do-they are almost too good for what they are supposed to be. In game, having them all exactly the same helps you visualize the conflict better.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:21 am

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing how those Terminators turn out! :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 pm

The genestealers look great! Love the way the stealer colors work with the bases.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby SRM » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:15 am

Thank you! I've also finished the first Terminator squad. I decided to do Crimson Fists, since even though they share a similar palette and don't contrast as nicely as Blood Angels, they're obviously one of my favorite chapters:
"The enemy besets us, brothers!"
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 am

Sweet! I wouldn't worry about the color palettes being similar. The general shapes make them instantly recognizable.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:02 am

Dude... where's the Heavy Flamer?!?!?!?!?!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby 92acclude » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:26 am

Thunderjaw wrote:Dude... where's the Heavy Flamer?!?!?!?!?!

?!?!?!!??!?!?!
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2018: 5
2017: 141 | 2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby SRM » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:58 am

I've got a pair of em I'll be painting up in round 2!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby timd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:30 pm

I love it! I think the contrast between light and dark blue is plenty, and obviously I'm biased towards anything Crimson Fists :)
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling