Techniques for working with greenstuff

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Techniques for working with greenstuff

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:03 pm

I'd love any how-to type stuff from you greenstuff artistes. Anything and everything you'd care to share. (I know about the "keep it wet" part. I've seen the Interwebz. But not, apparently, the right Interwebz.)

But one thing especially: how do you roll out thin sheets of greenstuff, like to make capes/cloaks, skins, flags, etc., and be able to work with it without it sticking to the rolling pin and the surface you flattened it out on? I always end up stretching it all out of shape and ripping it when I try to pull it up the flattened sheet because it sticks to everything... wet or not.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: Techniques for working with greenstuff

Postby Exokan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:57 pm

I use nose grease for smaller sculpting stuff. Not kidding... I know other guys use a very light layer of petroleum jelly or k-y.

When I do hoods for my admech I normally use a healthy amount of water and two layers of wax paper. Normally it works fine... (my hoods start off as flat gs and then are curled around the heads of my minis)
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby TheRhino » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:24 pm

I use ChapStik when working with Greenstuff, in lieu of skin oil, spit, mineral oil, or the blood of innocents like the Interwebz recommend. The stick I use was one that was sent through the washing machine.

For rolling out thin sheets, I use a little ChapStik on the roller and the surface on which I roll. You don't need much at all.
TheRhino

Postby 92acclude » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:03 pm

I use this stuff. Water soluble, so no grease to wash off and it clings while you sculpt really well.

http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2018: 5
2017: 141 | 2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling