Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Holy Crap that price is ridiculous!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: New Bloodthirster

Postby NobleSavage » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:12 pm

One of these days I'm going to go downstairs to Where Fun Dies, belly up to the bar, and bellow at all those cigarette-smoking, sad townie sacks of shit: "I am the Bloodthirster of INSENSATE RAGE, and I'll take a Heineken, please."
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby SRM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:09 pm

The price is really high, but the model's fucking massive so I can understand the reasoning behind it. Once you factor in the wings, he looks bigger than Nagash. God willing you won't ever need more than one, at least.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Well, clearly they expect everyone to have three different variants. Which is pretty dumb.

And I'm sure the other 3 Greaters will cost in the same ball park. So you're looking at $450 for all four. That's a pretty huge price jump. A 103% price jump to be accurate.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:44 am

It's also a massive size and detail boost. I'm not saying the model's not expensive, but since when was this:

More attractive than this:
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:17 pm

The problem in my opinion isn't the size and the detail boost. It's the size and the detail boost and the cost increase in relation to what the model is. A lot of people are comparing this to Nagash. On the face, that's a good comparison, but only on the face. The reality is that Nagash is a special HQ from a special book. He's also 1000pts. He's 30-40% of your army in a "normal" game of WFB. The Bloodthirster is just a normal HQ choice. He's 250pts and 300pts if you go all out with him. At most he's consuming 15% of a much smaller points pie (2000pts vs 2500/3000).

Suddenly 15% of your army just went up 103% in cost. This is the exact same issue I had with the Ork Guns choice. This game has historically been priced based largely off slot and relative "power" in the list. Something you buy one of costs more than something you bought a bunch of. This is another unit that breaks that concept. Or perhaps it's another unit that just proves they've abandoned that concept all together.

This model didn't need to be massive and huge. It could have been slightly larger than the old Blood Thirster and kept the exact same detail level. All of that is digital sculpting anyway and didn't cost them any more.

Instead we're left with a model that, while beautiful, represents an increase in actual cost, an increase in storage costs (good luck getting anything else in a foam tray with that thing), but with the same in game costs. It also raises the cost of an army which is more and more becoming a deterrent to new people getting into this hobby.

GW's sales drop every quarter. They're pricing themselves into a niche that makes them less and less appealing to customers. Veterans are turning away. New gamers aren't starting. Models like this, while beautiful aren't helping them in the long run.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Yep, Brad speaks true. This price tag is ridiculous.

At this point the cost of buying a warhammer army comes closer to $1,000 than it does to $200. The game is dying because GW has priced it beyond the reach of casually interested potential players. The whole situation is just so foolish and stupid and short-sighted. For awhile it pissed me off.

Now it just makes me sad.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Thunderjaw » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Yeah, about six years ago I did a cost breakdown of all the main armies I played. It was like Wolves, Orks, Chaos, Daemons and I think Daemonhunters. They were all in the $500 range. Then a few years later they were all in the $700 range and nothing had fundamentally changed with them...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Have a Bloodthirster or play an entirely different game with everything you need beyond the models!

I was speaking with Brad last night that I would shit it Jack said to me "dad, I wanna play 40k"
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby timd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 am

Drool_bucket wrote:I was speaking with Brad last night that I would shit it Jack said to me "dad, I wanna play 40k"

As someone that started this hobby as a 10 year old, this makes me so sad to hear. GW has basically priced kids like Jack out of their games. I remember when I first started playing, I started out with a box of Eldar Dire Avengers for like $20. Then I saved up my allowance for a couple weeks and added a box of Guardians. Then a week later, a Farseer. My point being, as a kid, I was able to add impactful things to my collection on a modest, weekly allowance. Maybe if I was really good, my mom or dad would give me a few extra bucks to get a tank or a Dreadnought or something. The game for me was just as much about building up my collection and the excitement that came with adding something new as it was about actually playing. Now though? It would take me a month of saving just to add those Guardians. You know how much self control it takes for a 10 year old to save $40? At that point, I'd just wait another week or two and get Call of Duty.

It's really such a shame to see happening. Going to Danger Planet after school and on weekends brought me some of my fondest memories of my childhood. Now there's really no incentive for kids to do that unless you have a parent or family member that gets you into gaming. Kids would rather just play Minecraft.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby Jonasty » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:21 pm

If GW hadn't removed all the rest of their products it would also not bite them in the ass so hard. When I got into gaming in high school I really wanted to play 40K and Fantasy but the prices were well out of my reach even back in the day. I loved the models and concept though and was excited to find Necromunda as a much easier option to dive into for my limited budget. That brought me into the GW line and it's only because of Necro that I even tried collecting the Blood Angels and Empire stuff I currently have, same with Battlefleet Gothic and Mordheim (which I never got the chance to play).

Now with all those things gone extinct the only game you can approach GW with is 40K/Fantasy which is daunting if not downright unappealing as already mentioned by folks. Not saying any of those lost games would make up for the price gouging going on but it'd still offer cheap folks like me a way in.
Jonasty

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:12 pm

But is GW really the only retailer who's confusing "what's the product worth" with "what have we got to get for it"?

Is GW an egregious example? I mean, the cost of everything is increasing way the fuck out of proportion to datapoints like actual worth and customer purchasing power. Everybody from Comcast to Toyota has got their hockey-stick profit forecasts ("in June, we'll be making 15% more, then, by December, we'll make 1,436% MOAR!"), and they just increase prices accordingly.

Yeah, the average gamer can't afford the new Bloodthirster, but the average person can't afford a new car without using a credit card, either... so is GW being especially retarded, or just following the unsustainable trend of the general consumer marketplace?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby tinfoil » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Actually, I think GW's an outlier here. Certainly in the miniature gaming space, they've staked out positions at the extreme premium end of the spectrum. Warhammer's prices spikes look much steeper than price fluctuations for anything else in my menu of disposable income temptations.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Previous

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling