Stormboy's Admech Army Log - formerly Painting Challenge!

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: Stormboy's Painting Challenge! Turkey Day on the way

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:06 pm

I love that walking gun!! It's so Mechanicus, too.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: Stormboy's Painting Challenge! Turkey Day on the way

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 pm

You should almost cover the base in spent shell casings. (You could make lots of 'em cheap by cutting smaller-diameter Plas-techs tubes and closing off one end with greenstuff, or even just a dab of glue.)
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: Stormboy's Admech Army Log - formerly Painting Challenge

Postby stormboy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 pm

This is what I am working on for some fun. A weirdo Skitarii tank. I will post up the build in more detail sometime soon. If the weather is warm enough tomorrow I plan on getting a coat of primer on the beast.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby 92acclude » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:40 am

DUDE!

I wasn't sure where you were going with it, but maaaaaan... you did good boy!

Love the weirdo cylinder turret and the additions to the main turret.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby stormboy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:30 pm

I have been working on this funky AdMech/Skitarii tank over the last couple weeks. I love the Skitarii Dune Crawler and wanted to combine it with something else to create some wonky special vehicle for some crazy old Techpriest. I figured the Admech have access to loads of different vehicle chassis and a Leman Russ Battle Tank has that iconic tank profile - so I decided to grab a few boxes of stuff and get to building!

A side note - if you are planning on buying an Onager Dune Crawler, just buy the start collecting box. Dunecrawler is 66 dollars and a start collecting box is 85 (and includes the Dunecrawler, Skitarii troops, and a Techpriest).

Here is a starting pic!

After a little assembly and a quick mock up

I wanted to go with the gigantic super neuron laser (which I just fucking love) and I thought it actually added to the silhouette of the Russ. I also needed to beef out the sides with more card and this is when I decided I wanted to model in some sort or door or hatch. Basically, adding a billion years more effort into the build...

Since I already started going nuts with plasticard, I figured why not add in some sort of weirdo side turret too! You can also see that I created an edge using thin strips of card.

Since this will run as a substitute Dune Crawler for games, I added the silly small arms Cognis Stubber and some mechanical type things to the front, utilizing the basic Russ frame for the bits. I also started added wires/cabling (Dragonforge cables) and a few extra bits.

Then I prepped the chassis for more cables and started making it into its own unique type of vehicle. You can see the lightbulb looking bit from the Robots kit and lascannon power pack (one on both sides). The side turret became a housing for a big bunch of sensor relays. Skitarii are data collectors first, warriors second, after all.

Here you see the beast coming together with a bunch of bits to break up the large flat surfaces. You can also see the wiring in the back of the vehicle has been added. A special appearance by Skitarii E4653921, who wishes to show you the overall size of the vehicle. In one photo you can see that I added some lamps to the side turret. The AdMech still worship and I wanted to give some sort of incense burning/religious looking thing to it.

You can see, there are still some issues with the front of the vehicle still looking way to Leman Russ like - so I needed to think of a way to merge the two different aesthetics (the IG tank and the creepy walking legs).

At this point I started to focus on the front. I wanted to break up the flat look on the front. I figured I could use loads of little Admech arms and hands and such. Plus you can see my shitty green stuff job all over the place. Some press mold details to allow the vehicle to fit in with the other vehicles in the army and a front view of the sensor.

And another picture of the rear of the vehicle.

Next up is painting - I primed the beast today and hope to slap a first layer of paint on it tonight. I imagine about 6 thousand coats of red and probably 4 pots of Nuln Oil.
stormboy

Postby Nebushadnezar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Wow that's some major work. Looks great (and wonky).
Festivus, for the rest of us!
-Eldrad Ulthran
Nebushadnezar
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Damn! Impressive!
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby mace_ace » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:15 pm

This thing is wicked pissa! Nice work Jack!
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:12 pm

That thing's bonkers and I love it. Can't wait to see it painted!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the kindness towards my weirdo Walker thing.

Here comes some painting at you! I started with a black primer and hit the bottom with some weird hammered iron metallic primer that I have had kicking around.

Then I moved into my typical sloppy base coat. There really isn't anything better than slopping that Base red all over the fucking place. I really do love it. You can see that I kept the little spider feet and armored leg plates separate at this point in the painting.

Then I hit the beast with a second coat of red and started cleaning up with the brass on all the edgework and trim.

On a side note - that brush wasn't left in the bucket for more than a couple minutes. Don't judge me! I said don't judge me!

Then some Nuln Oil - which might be the greatest thing in the entire world!

Then tonight I cleaned up a lot of the metalics and red base. The sloppiness from the first couple coats of paint has been cleared up and the colors are fairly solid. The feet and armor plates have been finished with base coating and cleaning up and have been attached (adding another quarter of an inch to the height of the vehicle). I need to do some edgework and address the Skitarii dude in the hatch... and there is a ton of small detail work that needs to be completed... but progress is slow and steady.

So far things are looking pretty good for my little vehicle. Let me know if you think of any cool AdMech type names for this thing...
stormboy

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Let me know if you think of any cool AdMech type names for this thing...

Mars-Adidas Pattern Leman Russ ? With neuro-electro-isotopic-magneto macroblunderbus cannon?

I love that wacky tank!

The brass plates on the sides of the turret are kinda blank, though... they need something. Lines of prayer to the Omnisiah, or a sacred, stylized circuit board pattern, maybe?

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby mace_ace » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:59 pm

Jesus man, he's base coating. Let him breathe a little before he details up the brass.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby tinfoil » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:30 pm

stormboy wrote:Let me know if you think of any cool AdMech type names for this thing...

Jackalope!

Seriously, this looks like tits on ice cream. Nice work, man.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:24 pm

More progress. I need to do some work on the edge highlights and add some more metallic details and I want to add and weather a ton more decals... but for now it meet my tabletop standard. I also need to pick up a Knight base in order to base it.

I am thinking about going with the a name like "MacroArachnid Exploratator"

stormboy

Postby Exokan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:03 am

Looking great Jack!
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling