Stormboy's Admech Army Log - formerly Painting Challenge!

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: Stormboy's Painting Challenge! Scary Halloween en route!

Postby stormboy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Not a ton (or tonne) to report. I took the day off today because I have been feeling a touch congested. So I did some school work and then applied a bunch of base paints.

On the 3 character guys, I just tried to get the first layers of metalics, red, and dark grey. Next they will get some focused recoats and the brass edge treatments, and eventually some edge highlights.

The Electropriests similarly got some base coats in metalics, reds, greys, and a skin tone. Next steps for them are a blue wash and some detailing for the electroloos in their skin and then a bunch of brass to break up all that metailic. Additionally, I put some base coats on the tracked servitors - my hope is to eventually have a few more in each squad - but 4 will do nicely for now.

Lastly, I forgot I hadn't finished my perpetual motion walkers. I love these models but I never got back to finishing them up. I have a few bits that need gluing and a broken bit here and there (these don't travel well). These guys already had a first coat and I am adding details now. Shouldn't need too much to finish - but they are going to take a couple hours. My hope is to finish them after the toddler goes to bed tonight. You can see the Knight in the background waiting for me to run out of excuses for not painting him...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Re: Stormboy's Painting Challenge! Scary Halloween en route!

Postby stormboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:17 pm

So I count this army in the "finished for now" category. There ae a few details that need to be sorted, but lenses, Admech cogs, and the final touch ups will wait until after I get some Raven Guard taken care of.

Here is the army picture (I am going to try for another army wide picture later when I can find a way to make a bigger "white box".

I will take some individual unit pictures once I sort out the lighting (the ones I took look pretty rough.
stormboy

Re: Stormboy's Painting Challenge! Turkey Day on the way

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:04 pm

That looks awesome Jack. How many points does it rough out to?
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Here we go - Unit by Unit - with some notes about each one.

I will start with the Skitarii.

Skitarii Dunecrawlers - One with Icarus Array (anti-air) and one with Neuron Laser (Str 10 AP 1 Blast) This model has a 5+ invul save but in a unit it adds +1 to the save for each additional Dunecrawler. At some point I will bits order the parts to add a couple different weapon options.

Skitarii Sicarian Infiltrators - These are 2 wound elites with infiltrate and stealth. They move 9 inches at a time and have a Neurostatic Aura that reduces WS, BS, Initiative, and Leadership by 1. a 4+ save with feel no pain. Pretty beasty when it all boils down.

Skitarii Sicarian Ruststalkers - Additional 2 wound elites with a 9 inch move, feel no pain and furious charge. These guys have a weapon that adjusts to armor and gets a better AP as the combat goes on.

Skitarii Sydonian Dragoons - These are 2 HP, 11 armor all around, Fast attack. They move 9 inches, have a 5+ cover save and have these awesome tazer lances. I like these models.

On to the troops - Skitarii Rangers - A slightly better than Imperial Guard statline with a 6+ Feel no pain (4+ save) and some cool looking rifles. I would love to get a platoon of Vostorians to roll next to these guys, because their guns look so similar.

Skitarii Vanguard - These are the same as rangers with a different weapon and have a rule in which the Radiation emanating from them subtracts from enemy unit's toughness.

Next up is the Cult Mechanicus List
Cult Mechanicus Fulgurite Electro-Priests - These guys are all close combat - they are trying to rip the electrical current out of all of the enemies of the machine god. Don't let their little human bodies fool you. These guys have a 5+ invul (with a chance to increase it to 3+) and feal no pain. Plus they have the Zealot special rule. Their staves also give them +2 strength (+3 on the charge).

Cult Mechanicus Corpuscarii Electro-Priests - These guys are like the Emperor in Star Wars. They shoot lighting and fry the shit out of folks. Similar rules as their Fulgurite counterparts with short ranged and close combat weapons. They are great.

Cult Mechanicus Kataphron Destroyers - Tracked servitors with plasma. These guys can fire everything twice. And when they get charged their Cognis flamers hit 3 times in overwatch instead of D3 times. Ouch. But they move 6 and are finished. No running.

Cult Mechanicus Kataphron Breachers - Tracked servitors with a bunch of anti tank options. Lots of haywire worked into the rules. They can each get a arc claw, which can be upgraded to a hydraulic claw (power fist). They don't go far though, because they are also limited in their movement.

Cult Mechanicus Kastelan Robot Maniple - Fucking Robots man. 4 of these T7 monsterous creatures with 2 Datasmith watchers feeding them computer chip orders every turn. Dual power fists or duel heavy phosphor blasters (S6 AP3 - Heavy 3) - sick little bastards. And lets not forget the Datasmith is in artificer armor, because when you are walking around with a bunch of robots, you need all the armor you can get.

Cult Mechanicus Tech-Priest Dominus - This guys is a war machine. He rolls with 2 range weapons (we are talking some 30K shit over here), a power axe, and a mechadendrite harness with a bunch of goodies (including a dataspike which would make AR2D2 jealous). Artificer Armour and Feel No Pain make him a tough son of a bitch.

Last, but certainly not lease, is the Imperial Knight Errant. This mo-fo rolls into battle with a thunderstrike gauntlet(which can pick up monstrous creatures and vehicles and hurl them into nearby units), a thermal cannon (which is a large blast melta), and a stormspear rocket pod (S8 AP5 - Heavy 3). This guy comes to make sure his AdMech buddies are alive to fix his ride at the end of the battle.

So all in all, not a bad stretch of time for Brad's Challenge. I still have transfers and some detailing to manage. But at this point it is solid enough to put on a table top.
stormboy

Postby stormboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:That looks awesome Jack. How many points does it rough out to?

I would say roughly 2200 - 2500 points. I need to actually do a calculation.
stormboy

Postby stormboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:57 pm

I am totally wrong - that entire force is just over 3000 points.

Gee whiz. I just painted a full army! Plus I have a couple fortifications that need to be AdMech-ed up!
stormboy

Postby NobleSavage » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:36 pm

I call my penis "Stormspear."
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby SRM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:42 am

3000 points in just a few months? You're putting me to shame, Jack! That army's gonna look great once it hits the table.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Exokan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Very very cool Jack! That added up quickly.
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby tinfoil » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm coming to the party late here. But damn, Jack, that's a fine-looking army!
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 am

Jack, what color and make of paint did you use for the brass or whatever it is trim on the knight's shoulder plate, and the trim over the head and arms?

I'm looking for a one-step brass color. GW's brass base and layer colors are too dark, and I've been mixing it with gold to get something like the same color you used on the knight.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby stormboy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 pm

NobleSavage wrote:Jack, what color and make of paint did you use for the brass or whatever it is trim on the knight's shoulder plate, and the trim over the head and arms?

I'm looking for a one-step brass color. GW's brass base and layer colors are too dark, and I've been mixing it with gold to get something like the same color you used on the knight.

Citadel Layer Runelord Brass. Not a 1 step solution though. I put 2 layers on pretty much everything. I love it. It makes the front of my pants tighter...
stormboy

Postby stormboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 pm

After putting together the little AdMech Data Module tank for the January conversion competition, I decided to work on another project that had been kicking around my brain. This is a walking weapons platform, using sentinel legs and some left over bits from a bunch of kits.

Still have some clean up and detailing - but the look is mostly there.
stormboy

Postby SRM » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

I dig it! Any plans rules-wise for Bulletback McCrotchface?
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 pm

SRM wrote:I dig it! Any plans rules-wise for Bulletback McCrotchface?

No plans for rules. I think he might just be a wacky creation for fun and weirdness.
stormboy

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling