Re: SRM Hates Money - Blood Axes

Postby mace_ace » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:27 pm

"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:53 pm

It's been a little bit, but I've got more stuff for my Blood Axes! This time it's a unit of Kommandos. While these guys aren't really the best unit in the game, I've always dug the metals (the Nob is among my favorite minis ever) and they fit in thematically with Blood Axes too well not to take! It's a mix of Forgeworld bits, modern plastics, and 2005 metals on these guys.

Some older hams might recognize their camo scheme, which I based on the old 2nd ed Blood Axe Kommandos:
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:36 am

I finished the last of the Meganobz! They've been sitting on my painting table as I passed them over for Kommandos and other projects, but I've finally bulked the squad out to 9 of the big lugs.

And now that I've finished up the squad, here's all 9!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Mean and Grean! Well done.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:07 pm

I really dig your meganobs.

You have taken a unit that looks pretty unremarkable (i.e. they all kind of look the same) and given them enough subtle distinctions with colors and positioning that they all look unique. I think that is pretty difficult to do. I applaud your efforts!

And I really love your kommandos. The red and black cammo goes really well with the way you paint Ork skin. I dig it.

Your orks have almost inspired me to pull some orks out to paint... but I am still stuck on the new Admech right now.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby SRM » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:32 am

Thanks Jack! The Meganobz were kind of a mix of trying to make models look distinctive, but also trying to not kill myself by painting every model completely differently. I settled on batch painting dudes three at a time in the same scheme but with different equipment, so they all end up looking like a rabble without me losing my mind painting four camo patterns on each dude in different places. And hey, I can't blame you for wanting to stick to your Admech - that army is awesome!

Now for some Grot Tanks! I painted these up quick, as I'm using them in a game in about 12 hours.

SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:47 am

Grot tanks are the best!

The camo and weathering is ace! Sweet models! I hope the rolling scrap pile rules help the little buggers gain a slight edge! There is nothing better than a crazy Grot driving into fire whilst getting nonsense bits blown off his tank!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby SRM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks Jack! I've got thoughts to make more with Killa Kan and Kataphron bits, but one thing at a time.

So even in my old Ork army, I've never run or seen a Battlewagon run as an actual tank - you know, 'Ardcase, lots of big guns, that whole deal. I figured I wanted to try my hand at having one of those, and I wanted a ride for my upcoming Tankbustas. I had a Leman Russ Demolisher kit gathering dust so I took it out and got choppin. I also wanted to make sure it was big enough to count as a Battlewagon and not just be a dinky little Looted Wagon, so this is what I came up with:

SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:23 am

I like it. The trukk-bed platform on the back really makes the model.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby mace_ace » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:52 am

Hey Campbell,
I like where you're going with this, but I want to add some constructive feedback. It still looks a little small to me, kind of like a larger version of a Grot Tank. I do like the trukk bed on the back, but I think this model would be awesome if you sawed an additional Russ body so tha tyou could add it to the point where the original treads started sloping downwards on the rear. Yeah, it'd be a lot more work, and possibly hellish if that's already glued together, but I think that would really hit on what you're trying to do. That and I think you'd do a great job with it.
-Mason
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:21 am

Too late for that; it's already glued together and primed! The really tall turret has taken it from looking like a KV-2 to looking straight up like a grot tank though, I do agree. It's the same length and height as a Battlewagon, which is what I was going for. That idea is awesome though, I wish I had the extra Russ to make that because it'd look great!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

I didn't add more support under the bed because the primer was already down, and plasticard can be finnicky enough to work with as is. Instead I went ahead and painted the thing!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Nice work! Looks authentically war-worn.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:26 pm

I dig the way the camo patterns tie the army together.

I've seen other armies give all their boys the same color pants, and just paint all their vehicles red, but cohesion for orks is a balancing act--too much sameness, and they don't look orky, but with no identifiable theme, they don't feel like an army.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 pm

That was probably way too much thought invested in the finer points of orky accouterments.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling