Mud, Blood, Rust. Ron's painting thread

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Mud, Blood, Rust. Ron's painting thread

Postby NobleSavage » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:27 pm

Painting toy soldiers (or "Battle Barbies" as a previous girlfriend dubbed them) is my go-to way to avoid life's unwanted responsibilities, and it's served me well for years. That deserves it own thread, no?

My latest and most consuming project is my Vraksian militia. I started collecting these guys when ForgeWorld first put out their renegade militia conversions--I fought it a little, because I'd never completed my Space Wolves, Tallarn, or Orks, so... starting another army seemed stoopid. But then ForgeWorld's Chaos ogryn came out, and I stopped fighting it and started seeing The Eightfold Path. (Also, I sniped some chaos renegade minis from MaceAce in a Yankee Swap, so, it would've been a super dick finishing move x2 not to paint them up.)

I'm going for muddy boots, rusty equipment, and ragged, mismatched uniforms. These guys are way past caring about any of that. They slaughter for Khorne, although many of them still think they follow Cardinal Xaphan. Chaos sigils are slowly appearing amongst the rabble as they fall ever deeper into madness... (Special thanks to tinfoil, dapatrick, brutal legend, and thunderjaw, who gave me lots of bitz and minis at "friends and family" prices.)

The 2nd Labor Battillion

The elderly gentleman in the stocks is Lt. Col. Jameson, the labor battilion's former commander. He still leads every charge--though not, strictly speaking, by choice.

Exit wound on staked head. Yikes.

Demagogue and his command squad.

A well-used, not-quite-mint chimera to get the demagogue's crew where they need to go. The autocannon upgrade makes a joyful noise to Khorne!

Disciples of Xaphan
I used beastman arms to make them look like roided-up maniacs. All the disciples breathe the combat drug 'slaught 24 hours a day, through scavenged hoses threaded into their home-made gas masks.

One of the enforcers. The severed head on the left wavered under fire. The one of the right just got the enforcer's coffee order wrong at Dunkin Donuts.
Last edited by NobleSavage on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: Mud. Blood, Rust--Ron's painting thread

Postby NobleSavage » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 pm

As the years of the siege pass, and the Vraksian forces degenerate, more hard-core Chaos elements filter into their ranks. All that slaughter is probably like ringing a dinner bell in the Warp. First, I decided to add some Berzerkers. Still have some detail to do on few of them.

I call this one "Sprinty"

I have a sickle-ax thing, and I'll BURY IT IN YOUR FACE!

This heldrake was once a proud Imperial fighter jet. Now... it's something more demonic. It's hard to see here, but I positioned the wings and neck to make it appear to be banking left and barbecuing something on the ground.

Card-carrying members of the local Obliterator cult. I was trying to figure out what to add to the broken-off pipes on the plasma cannon guy. Then I found a WFB wizard bit, a hand holding an orb. I asked myself, "WWFD?" (What would Fred do?) He'd make it an eyeball!

I chose purple/pink for the morphing bits. I wanted a raw, abused, unhealthy flesh/muscle effect. And I wanted it to stand out against the Khornate red of their armor. The lascannon conversion oblit is actually a Nurgle model, but I chose not to paint or highlight all the rotten parts, and I added the Khorne head. It came with a bony outgrowth cannon, but I filed that off and added a lascannon barrel. He still needs some detail work.

"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: Mud, Blood, Rust. Ron's painting thread

Postby tinfoil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:37 am

Nice stuff!! Some great conversions here, and tons of narrative. I love this.

The red/purple scheme on tbe marines works well.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby SRM » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:17 am

Neat! Glad you could fine those great Obliterator models too. That Heldrake looks sweet!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Looking good Ron (shakes fist due to Yankee Swap even still). For the Berzerkers' armor are you going to darken it up a little? maybe wash it with something so it's not so Blood Angels' red?
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:59 pm

For the Berzerkers' armor are you going to darken it up a little? maybe wash it with something so it's not so Blood Angels' red?

They've already got a wash of Gryphone Sepia on them. Maybe they need the full-on Agrax Earthshade treatment.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby SRM » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Yeah, Grypphone Sepia is kind of a subtle color and doesn't show very well unless it's over a light color.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Agathrax Earth same or Nuln Oil.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:47 pm

I feel like Nuln Oil doesn't do well with red unless you want it to look like an oil spill; Agrax Earthshade is soft and warm enough that it'll shade it without overpowering it.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:05 pm

For Stormboy's conversion contest, I resurrected an old idea I never got around to: a tracked ork warboss. I'd gotten the idea from a partial conversion somebody else had tried, and the parts of which fell into my mits sometime in the distant past. The Warboss idea morphed into a tracked Big Mek with a multi-armed servo harness. Then Campbell posted his entry, and it was a Big Mek, so I went back to the drawing board, and decided on a loota that some Mad Dok used as test bed for a new kind of anti-flyboy platform--The Mega Flakka Loota!

The contest required us to start with the AdMech Destroyer tracks. The torso I used is, I believe, from a WFB metal warboss or black orc. It was the right size in proportion to the tracks (and the only torso in my bitz collection close to the right size), but the damn thing's metal, and I needed to cut it off at the waist, to mate it up with the socket in the AdMech tracks.

Where's my hacksaw!? Commence to hacking.

Fuck me sideways. Didn't I learn not to do this when I converted those metal nobs two years ago? Apparently, I learned NOTHING.

After a lot of f-bombs, I was able to get some heavy assembly done. I chose a mega-armored nob head because it had a cyber eye implant that looked like it could be a targeting device. And it's howling. Which is always good for any Orky mini. I made one arm an out-sized flak cannon (using a kannon from the Battlewagon kit), and turned the other arm into a multiple rokkit launcha with a coaxial big shoota.

I was going to built a feeder magazine of flak shells for the cannon, but I ran out of time. Then I got the idea of a servo arm that would reload the cannon, possibly controlled by a squig brain. I used a servo-arm from a Necromunda pit slave (maybe it was a 40K servitor arm, dunno. It worked.) and a IG heavy mortar bomb for the flakk shell. You can see it here. (Also from the back, you can see the cables I ran from the loota's skull, linking the cyber targeter to the flak cannon itself.)

I still need to greenstuff the join of the flakka cannon arm, and probably drill out the breech of the cannon. Also add one more big shoota bullet so it looks like the ammo is actually feeding into the receiver, rather than just kinda hanging out there on the side of the gun. And also there's a flat blank space on part of the flak cannon where I want to add some sort of looky-optic bit. And paint the damn thing. Of course.

I might eventually run it as Flakka Dakka trukk with the Forge World rules. But it will need a bigger footprint to be a "counts as" trukk. I think I'll make a little caisson/wagon thing full of ammo--and ammo grunts--for the Mega Flakka Loota to pull behind his tracks.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby NobleSavage » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:28 pm

My Chaos forces need back up. Everybody wants to be Khorne Berserkers, but not everybody can be. So, I'm building World Eaters.

I wanted the old War Hound colors, so these guys just never bothered repainting their war kit. ("What color I'm wearing doesn't matter. The BLOOD matters.") I made them extra grimy, to knock down the bright blue/white livery, and to represent the unkempt neglect of centuries of traitorous service.

Andoroth wielded many bolters over the centuries, but none of them could hold a candle to "Margaret," his favorite.

With three eyes, Homeslice can't miss!

I'm done with slide transfers. (Too much trouble.) I painted a simple icon representing world-eating jaws on their shoulder pads.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby NobleSavage » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Aaaaaand... Kharn.

Never loan money to a guy known as "The Betrayer"

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby mace_ace » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:48 pm

God damn Ron! The white and blue looks great, and the red on Kharn has decent depth.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Exokan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:15 pm

mace_ace wrote:God damn Ron! The white and blue looks great, and the red on Kharn has decent depth.

I agree, those schemes came out great!
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby tinfoil » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:00 pm

Yes. The blue and white is very effective. And that Kharn base is sick and twisted. Well done.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Next

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling