Courage and Honor: Horus Heresy Ultramarines

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: Courage and Honor: Horus Heresy Ultramarines

Postby afeinman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:50 pm

SRM wrote:Thanks Brad! And hey, some chainswords just curve to the left or the right a little bit, it's totally normal for a growing Astarte.

*snort*
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby SRM » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:31 pm

I had a load of fun weathering up this Land Raider Armored Proteus, AKA the most World War I tank ever made after World War I:
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Sweet! Hard-used, but still proud. I especially liked the way you painted the tracks--kinda non-metallic metallic.

(Btw, how well did the tracks fit together in your kit? The ones in mine were pretty effed up--a few were warped, and most had big extra resin chunks (yum!) everywhere there were supposed to be track guides or joins. I got them on, but not without a lot of hacksawing and filing. And cussing.)
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby SRM » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:03 am

The tracks were a fucking nightmare, there's probably like half a pound of greenstuff holding them in along with half a bottle of superglue. Everything else went together pretty nicely, but it made me really grateful for the integrated treads on the Sicaran. As for painting the treads, I was kinda bummed with the flat spaces on them, so I just washed and weathered the hell out of them to make them look more interesting. Either way, once I saw your Proteus in that game at Dylan's, I knew I wanted to get mine built sooner rather than later!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Had a game last night against a local Iron Warriors player. Had never met the guy, but turns out he was a really cool dude and we got a close game in. It was only my third Heresy game, so my tactics were only slightly worse than my dice! Mission was Blood Feud with that wedge deployment.
His force:
My force:
He had first turn and began his advance:
My dudes shortly before 9 of them got Phosphex'd off the table:
His advancing forces:
My Ultras holding the line:
My warlord trait let me deep strike a unit, so I dropped my Terminators behind his quad mortar on turn 2:
... but they missed:
My infantry blobs had taken a bit of a beating at this point:
I wiped the Assault Marines out using the Whirlwind and Aiolus missiles from the Deredeo, but his Contemptor was still advancing and getting dangerously close to my Tactical Marines:
Things are getting uncomfortable:
His Land Raider opened up and a squad of Breachers came pouring out, who then shot up my tac squad:
The Tactical Marines get charged by the Contemptor. Over the next turn, my sergeant stuns the Dreadnought with a power fist strike and my squad falls back. Since walkers can't Sweeping Advance if they're stunned, my squad was able to safely run away and regroup on my turn. Shooting then killed the Dreadnought:
My Tactical Marines prep to charge the Breachers:
Charge! The melee goes on for four rounds, with the Breacher sergeant killing my Tactical sergeant, Apothecary, and Chaplain:
However, the Ultramarines finally win one combat and force the squad to retreat!
In the very last turn, the breachers are falling back, the barest shreds of my two Tactical squads remain, and the only other living targets on the table are the two Land Raiders and the Siege Tyrants.

When we tallied up all the points, even counting the retreating Iron Warriors as destroyed, it came out to a narrow 6-7 game, with the Iron Warriors eking out a narrow victory. It was great fun, and I was happy to get my Heresy dudes on the table. I wish the lighting was better back there because both armies looked great, and his Iron Warriors had a ton of little conversions and characterful bits to them.

Things I learned:
- Phosphex is terrifying
- Don't charge Breachers, not now not ever. Should have used Fury of the Legion on them instead
- Get some power axes in my squads, losing three challenges in a row against a Breacher sergeant was pretty lame
- Meltabombs in more squads would be a good idea
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I kept thinking that the Iron Warriors Land Raider was built backwards or something...
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby mace_ace » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:09 am

I thought the same thing Ron.

Campbell, these look great all together, with nice terrain and another army. I haven't played 30K so what's the deal with breachers?
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 am

Breachers are Marines with boarding shields, which gives them a 6+ invuln against shooting, a 5+ invuln in close combat, plus defensive grenades. Breachers also have void-hardened armor which lets them reroll saves from template and blast weapons. They've only got about as much killing power as regular Tactical Marines, but they're tougher to kill.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:47 am

Ah gotcha. So it's rather fitting for IW and IF then.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Completely. Ultramarines can also give them power swords, which is cool as hell and absolutely terrible. +5 points a man for a power sword, which only gets one attack, as you get no bonuses for having two close combat weapons if you have a breacher shield. I don't know why this is Ultramarine specific, maybe they just got tired of giving us good units and had to squeeze in one overcosted and terrible one while they were at it.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Great pics! Sounds and looks like a fun battle. Thanks for posting.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby SRM » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

I painted up Roboute Guilliman! The marble on the base was a nightmare, but the model itself was really fun to paint! I also got to mess around with the 'Eavy Metal painting guide for painting faces from October's White Dwarf, which I followed to get the face. I'm really proud of that part, even if I don't love the cape.

I also magnetized the base so I could stick him on a 40mm base:
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 am

That marble effect is amazing!

I initially thought you had posted a picture from the FW team first as a reference, but then I realized that it was yours.

Such a beautiful model and you made it shine! Great work!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby tinfoil » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:54 am

Wow! Campbell, that looks amazing! Really evocative. Some of your finest work ever, I think.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby mace_ace » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Nice man, you really did a sweet job on this. Too bad you wasted all that talent on a turd of a Primarch.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling