Vampire Covenant - Painting Log

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: Vampire Covenant - Painting Log

Postby Nebushadnezar » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:18 am

That's a lot of stuff to paint. Nice job!
Festivus, for the rest of us!
-Eldrad Ulthran
Nebushadnezar
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 am

What are the red patches on the dire wolves?

In between the wolves I got started greenstuffing my ForgeWorld Ron model...

Cool! Wait... whut :?:
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:18 am

What are the red patches on the dire wolves?

exposed muscle and flesh painted with and amazing technique called "Slopped on red and wash".
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am

exposed muscle and flesh painted with and amazing technique called "Slopped on red and wash".

Ah. An oldie but a goodie!
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:16 pm

There's basically just bare skin, exposed muscle/tissue and flayed bone on these guys. After digging themselves out of their swampy graves (or non swampy ones), they should probably just be one solid mess without a ton of color variation at least according to tall the google pics of "skeletal remains" I can find... everything just kind of develops the same uniform color after a while... but that would be super boring... so I tried for dried flayed skin and bone with remnants of hair and some "wet" muscle as a contrast.

It's an extremely simple process because, let's face it, I'm a crap painter and I'm more interested in getting an army on the field that looks good from a distance than I am in highlighting every bruise, gouge and contusion on these poor dead animals...

Plus eventually I've got like 80 zombies to paint and a hundred skeletons. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:42 pm

What, you don't want to lovingly highlight every knucklebone on your horde of skellymans? I'm disappointed, Brad.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:52 pm

What, you don't want to lovingly highlight every knucklebone on your horde of skellymans? I'm disappointed, Brad.

Lol. I've done 30 Ghouls and 20 Wolves so far... I have 40 Zombies next and just kind of came to the realization that I need at minimum another 40 zombies since the units can double in size easily. And then I realized I only own like 20 skeletons... need like 80-100 of those a-holes as well for the Skele variants. I'm starting to wonder at the wisdom of building this army...

Here's side shot of a single unit of 5... Still need to drybrush the bases, clean the edges of excess sand, repaint the edges so they look smooth, and add grass clumps of dead and lifeless grass to further emphasize how dead and lifeless the dead and lifeless things are...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey, those look awesome! I saw the earlier base-coated pictures, taken from far away, and didn't know that they'd turn out this rad.

Skulls on the bases would probably be gay, but if you need busted up, weathered skulls, for other uses in yer dead 'uns army, I've got got about 6 pounds of resin ones, and could spare a few.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Yeah, I'm going to need to add some stuff to some bases, especially the large monstrous things... their bases kind of go for days... the grass clumps help, but I don't think it's going to be sufficient for the bigger things... I snagged a few tombstones from Matt's casting party the other day and I've got a few other things lying around, but I might take you up on the skull idea... I can always claim their more zombies! :)

And thanks on the painting compliment! They look even better when you're standing back at general's eye view looking at them deployed. The paint job is a total joke, ask Jon as he saw them getting painted... sprayed bleached bone basecoat, painted the hair skavenblight grey, and then a bright vallejo red on the "flesh"... then Army Painter strong tone ink (not the dip - basically their Devlan Mud equivalent). Boom... instantly passable puppies!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:43 pm

Yeah, I'm going to need to add some stuff to some bases, especially the large monstrous things... their bases kind of go for days.

I'll have to do something similar for the barghest/flesh hound's bases I'm working on for this month's league. There's a lot open space on them, and most of the hounds are modeled sprinting, with, like, a single paw touching the ground, so it's not they're filling it up at all. Random battlefield debris should do it, though.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Yeah, those open expanses need something to break them up for sure. I figure static grass with the occasional discarded sword, spear, arm, foot, etc will go a long way.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:28 am

I am a fan of Brad's painting style. He figures out the quickest way to paint an effective color scheme and then doesn't quit until it's done. This approach is going to come in handy with this kind of horde army. Brad tends to sell himself short in the painting department. This is painting. Real painting.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:43 am

Zombie time... up next, 2 units of 20 (with unit fillers) and an extra 5 zombies. I think there's like 36 guys here roughly, but I suck at math. I've got another 40 mantic zombies as well and some more GW ones that need to be assembled. Zombies for everyone!

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Been a little bit since I updated this, due to work and other distractions, but broke the paints out this morning and either started on or finished up a few units...

Here's a Varkolak... he needs some more base attention and a few other touches of paint (eyes, etc), but he's 95% done...

Also pretty much completely finished a unit of Mantic's Wraiths... again, a bit of base work and their movement tray needs painting, but they're basically done as well!

And started work on a unit of 6 Ghasts!

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Zombie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Nicely done. Love the color on the Wraiths.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling