What's the best (complete) paint set?

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

What's the best (complete) paint set?

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm thinking of replacing my mishmash collection of dubious-quality paint all at once by investing in a whole paint set. Hopefully one that comes in a carousel or some other organizer/container.

If you've bought a whole set from Vallejo or Army Painter, etc., which do you like? What's the most complete, most useful set to a 40K modeler?

Thanks!
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: What's the best (complete) paint set?

Postby mace_ace » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm

I use the GW paints myself. They're super easy to use and the company essentially gives you a paint by numbers guide of how to use them. I used to use the Vallejo paints (Game and Model Color) which were great. The GW metallics are better though.

Basically GW costs more and are a purpose built system with the bases, layers, shades, and washes, and the Vallejo line is cheaper.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Depends if you like dropper bottles or GW pots... the Vallejo ones will last longer as no one outside of Dylan can actually keep flip top bottles alive for long periods of time. I've been swapping over to the Vallejo ones for a bunch of stuff but still buy both brands. I'd personally say to skip the "complete" set and just buy what you need and get an organizer for it, but that's just me.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Zombie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Vallejo sells smaller sets of 8-16 paints. may be worth the money not sure about a full set.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:25 pm

I love GW's paint line; the only color there I've had any problems with are Abaddon Black. I use P3's Thanar Black but pretty much everything else I use is GW. They even have a white that can cover black in one or two coats with Ceramite White. It's a really good range.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:14 pm

That's the thing... GW's paints are excellent. Vallejo's paints are excellent. P3's paints are excellent. Pretty much every single paint line has great paint. We're living in an all time golden age from a paint selection perspective. Completely spoiled for choice.

I love GW's paints. Not a fan of their bottle, but love their paints. I literally bought every single blue in their range. Their technical line is a home run. For a company that used to be what most people consider average in the paint area, they're delivering excellent value to market with their current range. And they keep innovating. First was Foundation Paints, then washes, then glazes, then technicals, now the new gemstone line.

Vallejo's Game color line is excellent as well. They cover the full GW range plus a bit more. Their model color line adds more historical colors that can mix in well with the Game line.

P3's... haven't actually used them, but a lot of people say they're good.

Be a paint whore... try them all. You'll probably end up with a mix of brands, you'll have fun, and best of all, no one will give you shit about that craptastic Apple Barrel craft paint you're using.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:57 am

From what I hear the only problem with P3's line is that it's comparatively small, but compared to GW or Vallejo, I feel like every paint line is on the small side.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Yeah, I think P3's line is more of an attempt to cash in on the "Base, Layer, Highlight" move and less of an attempt to establish a "real" paint line like GW and Vallejo. Honestly, any attempt by Privateer Press to get their hordes of asshole players to paint their crap is a positive move. Every event of theirs I see is attempting to break the world record for most bare metal/plastic models in one event. Shame, their stuff looks great painted.

I rarely look past GW/Vallejo Game lines except for specific things... Army Painter for Devlan Mud replacements, Secret Weapon has some great "non standard" washes as well.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling