smeldar

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

smeldar

Postby Evil Dave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:41 am

That's small eldar...

Building these have been a background project of mine for the last couple of months. I had hoped to finish my Wrath of Kings army before starting a new project but I wasn't feeling it so here we are: Epic Craftworld Lugganath Eldar. I started out using my airbrush on these to get the feel for it. The undersides are Abaddon Black and the top Jokaero Orange. I wanted to use Troll Slayer Orange but that wasn't covering well enough so I put Jokaero down first. After Troll Slayer's down I'm going to hit it with a gloss coat and then try shading with Fuegan Orange. We'll see how that goes.

The bases were Zandri Dust, and dry brushes of Zamesi Desert, Tyrant Skull and Wrack White. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to differentiate the bigger rock piles.

In terms of what's left to build: Shining Spears, another 18 tanks, Wraithlords, Vampires, titans and a slew of Wave Serpents.

I put small magnets in 2 bases of each Aspects, as well as some Guardian and Wrathguard stands. The plan there is to do the same for Exarchs and Farseer characters.

Evil Dave

Re: smeldar

Postby afeinman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:14 pm

I thought "smeldar" was like radar but for Stinky Pete and his friends..
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby NobleSavage » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

Cool project! I'll watch avidly as it progresses.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Evil Dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:50 am

I highlighted and shaded one of the Scorpions to completion this week to start to figure out how I'm going to paint these colors. I'm pretty happy with the blue-ish grey weapons and the canopy/gems but I'm not quite there on the orange and black. The orange was highlighting with Troll Slayer and Lugganath, I think I want to try those again though as the highlights aren't stark enough for me. Thoughts? Same for the black, that was Eshin Grey followed by Dawnstone.

The one panel I left orange is for a transfer I hope to print out. I finish it up once I lay that down.

Any other thoughts on improving the colors or adding accents?

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:06 am

OK, take two on the highlights. I went back and re-edged the black with Eshin Grey followed by Fenrisian Grey, and widened the orange highlight of Firedragon Bright while completely edging with Lugganath Orange. Worse? Better? About the same? I think I'm going to try one more level of extreme highlight on each, just to see how it looks.

The other two Scorpions got their undersides finished up and are now glued to their bases (1/8" eyelets are great for this if anyone is curious). I also did the first highlight of the black on them. I'm going to be keeping the turrets separate from now on as it makes painting things a lot easier.

Evil Dave

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 am

The Orange looks roughly the same to me - that could be an artifact of the photography. Hard to tell. The black though really pops. The grey edging looks good and blends well with the gun barrels from a symmetry perspective. I'd recommend hitting the jewels on the flank and rear panels with the blue from the cockpit glass and do black vanes on the rear wings.

They look great though overall.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Evil Dave » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am

I thought about doing all the vanes black, but it starts to become the primary color on these hulls (see the attached). I'll poll a few more forums and see what people think.

On the gems not all being blue, that's just me being lazy and wanting to finish the army. :biggrin:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (635.75 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Evil Dave

Postby tinfoil » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:09 am

Wow, for models that small in scale, those highlights and details look impressive! Nice work.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Evil Dave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:55 am

Polled a few more people, and I'm going to keep the black a secondary color and minimize it's use on the hulls.

I added some Elf Flesh highlights to the orange, Blue Horror to the black and Elven Gray to the weapons, and I'm not convinced the photos show any of them… I've got a few hours tonight to paint, I'll see how I like them then and decide if I want to go further still. The other two tanks are progressing as well, I finished up everything on them except for their hulls and weapons. I'll start in on those tonight too.

Evil Dave

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Those highlights DO show up in the photos, and they're awesome.

I noticed the difference in the cannons right away. If you can afford to put that extra lovin' on each smeldar, it's worth it.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Evil Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks, I'll all about loving the smeldar.

I'm calling the Scorpions done, painting-wise. I hit them with one more highlight on each color and finished up the other two tanks this past week. If I have time this weekend I hope to hit them with a glosscote so I can put the transfers on, and then dullcote them and put the tufts on the bases. Next up are the Cobras, which I'm starting on tonight.

These are my objectives that I'm currently battling gaps on. Filling the gaps smoothly has been a bit of a challenge.

Finally, completely un-Eldar related, I built a Lunar-class Crusier at lunch. I picked it up at Adepticon's bitz trading. Anyone know of a paint scheme for Battlefleet Armageddon?

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:25 am

I finished up the black on the Cobras this week and started on the gray, there's just a highlight or two left for that. I'll likely get to that this weekend, and may be able to do the jeweling too so I can clean up and start in on the orange next week.

Additionally, my buddy Jon helped me out with some additional Warlocks. I now have enough for three Ulthwé guardian formations.

Finally, I tried out my new idea for basing characters with these Saim-Hann Farseers. The magnet I set into the base works well enough with a pin head glued to the underside of the figure. I'll likely start doing all my characters like this, unless they require extensive conversions (like an Oddboy).

Evil Dave

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 am

He looks huge compared to the Guardians, but not so huge that anyone's going to care when they're on the battlefield. Makes the Warlock upgrade stand out a bit more as well. Very nice!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:39 am

Good god that's a tiny magnet! This project is looking great.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed May 03, 2017 7:02 pm

The BFG cruiser has my attention.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling