smeldar

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: smeldar

Postby Evil Dave » Fri May 05, 2017 7:55 am

Thanks guys. The plan was to make spotting the Farseer character easy from 2-4 feet away Thunderjaw. I thought about counter-sinking him but then I'd have to make something to go in his place when he wasn't taken.

I made some good progress on the Cobras. The weapons, gems and engines are all done plus I was able to wash and get the first highlight done too. All that's left are the edge and point highlights, and any touch up. If I don't get to that this weekend then it'll be next Tuesday. After that, Storm Serpents!

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 am

I didn't have a chance to snap some pictures of the Cobras last week, but they're done. Like the Scorpions I still need to do the transfers, but I have printed those out yet.

The Storm Serpents were next on the list so here they are. I finished their undersides and mounted them on their bases. I seem to be averaging a tank a week so hopefully they guys will be done by the second week in June.

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Tue May 30, 2017 7:51 am

The black, gray, engines and cockpicks are all taken care of on the Storm Serpents. I also washed and tidied up the orange. I hope to finish the highlights on it this week as well as the Wraith Gate parts. Those are going to be a pain to get to with the tank already built.

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:53 am

Slower going than I had hoped on the Storm Serpents. Two orange highlights are done though and I just have the corner and point highlights left to go. I'll hopefully finish those up Wednesday. Tonight, I'd like to get the Void Spinners ready for paint at my airbrush station, and while I got it out maybe some of the aircraft and Falcon-hulled tanks.

Here's a shot of the Webway Portal (a.k.a. the Storm Serpent's nether regions). I just went with a bone like paint scheme.

Evil Dave

Postby mace_ace » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am

Heh, you said "nether regions" and "bone".
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Goddang do your smalldar look nice.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Evil Dave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks man.

The Storm Serpents got their final two orange highlights last week along with some base touch up. They're now in the gloss and decal queue along with the Scorpions and Cobras.

The Void Spinners got their undersides take care of last night, I then glued them to their bases and started the black. I broke the turrets off to take care of their undersides, I need to clean up the mounting holes before I can glue them back on though. I wasn't a fan of the casting quality on the Night Spinner Arrays, so I'm coming up with a better option. That might take some time to resolve though. The good news is I think I can paint them separately and just glue them in later without too much fuss.

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

I meant to take these before our annual tournament but that didn't happen. Then I took the pictures and didn't post them for another week, so here we are! Work slowed on the Void Spinners so that I could base up my Falcon-hulled tanks, I managed to finish the black and do the cockpits and gems on the Spinners though.

These were my distraction, I did their undersides and glued them all to their bases. They're ready to paint at this point.

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 am

The Void Spinners had the last of their paint put down last night. I still need to get around to the gun barrel conversions, once they're all set painting those shouldn't take more than an hour or two. After that, they'll be in the varnish and decal queue with the rest of the super-heavies.

That means I'm on to the Falcon hulls, first up are the Firestorms. The engines on these are slightly more exposed so I might do an extra bit of highlight on them. Not sure yet, as I don't want to detract from the orange/blue/black. Thoughts?

Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 am

I was wondering why I was getting so much of a shadow on these as I was taking a picture. I realized afterwords that I only had one of my desk lamps on. Anyway, the Firestorms progress. The black is done, next week I hope to tackle the blue on the guns and maybe the gems. The recess lines are slightly less defined than the superheavies, so getting the highlights is slightly more difficult. That was compounded by the heat and lots fans that have been running in the local store where I paint this past week. The paint was drying on my brush before I got it to the model.

]Image

]Image

]Image

]Image
Evil Dave

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am

Loving these guys! They're really looking sharp. Also, check your PMs! :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Evil Dave » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks man.

I misplaced my camera for a bit but we're back. Not as much progress as I would have hoped in three weeks, but I've been working on some terrain for a new store in my area and also playing some Epic once a week too. Hopefully I'll have some pictures of the terrain soon. The gems and weapons are now finished up on the Firestorms. I also did the first highlight on the orange. Three more highlights and they'll be good for the clear coat queue.

I also started on this guy. The repositioning is set (striking his best Captain Morgan pose), I just need to go back and putty the joints I cut. The wings I'll put on after things are painted as it be too tight otherwise. Also, the weapons are magnetized using 1/16" diameter magnets.

Evil Dave

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Titans walking! Damn these are looking great!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Evil Dave » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks. They're coming along. I want to try to position one of the Phantom's running and another crouched down taking a swing at a tank. We'll have to see how that looks with a weapon other than a powerfist though.
Evil Dave

Postby Evil Dave » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 am

I made two sets of eight hills for a local store, all they need at this point is some paint to help them match their tables (desert and grey wastes). They're made out of 1" insulation foam glued to tempered hardboard bases with some construction adhesive. I used a foam cutter to put some surface detail on their faces and covered everything with scenic dope (qt of latex paint, 2 latex caulk tubs and a cup of joint compound) for durability before pressing in the sand and spraying them with glue.

There's four bigger (18x12"-ish) and four smaller (12x6"-ish) pieces per set. They were cut out of 2x2' panels, I used the right angle corners so they join up easy and made them geomorphic. By that I mean the bigger pieces can be joined together and the same with the smaller. Also, the short edge on the bigger pieces match up with the longer edges on the smaller pieces. They can also be stacked, so there's lots of ways that you can put them together.

I was also able to cut six bases of scatter terrain per set out of the left over hardboard. No pics of those yet, I'll likely put a few rocks and some brush on them and make trees or something on smaller bases that can be moved around the area and not get in the way of the miniatures.

They were pretty cheap, price-wise. You can make four sets (32 hills, 24 scatter terrain pieces) for some $50, not including paint. They just take some time to put together.

Evil Dave

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling