Demon Army: A Haunted Regiment

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Demon Army: A Haunted Regiment

Postby tinfoil » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:56 am

Well, a demon army is too hard to resist, at least as a modeling opportunity. I think I'll spend the next few months digging in. Who knows -- if I can make regular progress, this thread will become a P&M blog.

My working concept for the army will be a chaos-possessed IG regiment. For example:
- converted guardsmen with melting faces and limbs; their las-guns becoming hideous organic appendages spitting lethal warpfire, as "horrors" (shooty demons): .

- and, mutants resurrected here as "plague-bearers."

- and, tanks and/or sentinels, ripped asunder and reforged with cthonic ligature as "demon prince" proxies (heavy weapon selections in the demon codex). (My defiler conversion, for example, would fit here.)

(and)

I have a few ideas. This weekend I'll start splicing and grafting together some stuff. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Alright, for a first project, I'm going to work up a new "demon prince" model.
In the Demon codex, DPs are "heavy selections," offering one of the few anti-tank firepower options. Accordingly, I'll base my version off of a sentinel model.
This "sentinel" will have been invaded and possessed by a demon spirit, however, so I'll graft organic elements -- flesh, bones, claws, some sort of face -- onto the vehicle, to embody its demonic animating spirit.

So my two main sources of bitz, at least to begin with, will be a sentinel and stuff from the spawn sprues.

A lot of greenstuffing will come later. Right now, I'm starting by fusing some of the major plastic elements. For example:
to get composites like:

As that last WIP snapshot suggests, I'm not really working from a masterplan here. Just trying stuff out. But I'll start building from the feet up, in this case, since sentinels need the balance.

Here's a look with both "legs" roughed out, and clawed "feet" added. (Again, there'll be a lot of greenstuffing to come.)

Another angle:

And a third angle, with a better look at the leg:

And one last angle, from the other side:

So I'm underway. More to come.
And in the meantime, feedback is warmly welcomed.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby the_trooper » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Love the mech-organic mix. The clawed feet have much promise. I never had a reason to mix the two (organic claws with mechanical legs) but always thought it would be a great idea.
"I don't actually play Warhammer, I just talk about how awesome it is when I do play. You know, like BMW drivers and sex."
the_trooper

Postby K » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:52 am

Fred -- if your gonna run with this theme I HIGHLY suggest you get yourself a carnifex model or scrounge around for extra bitz left over from other peoples carnifexes (and there are always a ton of bitz left). I just think it would be invaluable to you when it comes to teh whole biomechanical merging thing you got going on. I've used whats left over in my carni kit to convert 3 nurgle dreads with basically the same premise that you have going here.

What you have so far looks awesome -- wish I had your ability to put bitz together and be able to see the bigger whole project.
Any young lads around here interested in some high adventure!
K
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
K: carnifex demonisity is a great idea. Not to get all Fexi-furry or anything, but I've definitely looked at those bitz with lust in my heart.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Okay, some progress. I've been blocking out torso/cabin section. First, afixing a spawn torso to the front of the sentinel cabin (after carving off the back half of the sentinel stuff), to get this:

Then, setting him on the legs, I played with the angle and proportions until I found a stance that I liked, setting the "torso" well back on the carriage (visa vi where the cabin usually sits), and slanting down toward the front, thusly:

The spawn torso does not fit proportionately with the sentinel legs, but I don't necessarily want the model to suggest anatomical correctness, and I think the conversion might work regardless. I don't want this creature to resemble a humanoid/robot construct, so much as a frenzy of flesh, crawling all over and winding itself into a doomed machine.

To which end, once I'd placed the torso/cabin, I drilled holes in the sides, thusly:

I've drilled holes because I'm anticipating planting cable/sinew arcs from the "shoulder" of the "torso" into the cabin interior -- as if the demon was not only wrapping his skin and musculature around the cabin, but also piercing and invading its interior. (This is hard to describe, and I'm not 100 percent sure it will work out visually, but I won't know till I've tried it out and seen the effort.)

Next I'll probably start working on the gun arm (probably using a sentinel multi-las arm as a base).
And soon I'll pull out the green-stuff...
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Drool_bucket » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:58 pm

looks great, I like what you are doing...

only cocern is the ball to which the cabin normally rests. as it stands now, at best, its gonna look like a giant codpiece. I think you should either re-explore the placement of the cabin, or re-examine using the sentinel "pelvis" piece to connect the legs to the main body.

just a thought
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Good point on the cod-piece. (Heh. Now that you pointed it out, I can't stop staring at it....)
:o (Is the blowjob emoticon, btw?)
I'll either chop it off (ouch), or cabl/ green-stuff over it
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby web ghost » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Good times. I like how you've worked the fluff to allow you to do the type of conversions you like and use some of your existing models. Its almost like the LAtD is back for you in the form of horrors and flamers. Also, in this way you don't have to worry about taking Tzeentch and Nurgle elements together for fear of fluff discrepancies.

Brief off topic aside:

I've been thinking about the new daemon army a bit too and have been lining up my nurgle units and shite and it's looking pretty good. But in perusing the supposed codex, my eye keeps coming back to Tzeentchian units. I have six old flamers (the ones with the beaky faces which I love.) And I want more Tzeentch stuff. I've always loved screamers and I think they would be a fantastic unit for tank hunting with their melta bombs. In any case I've come to a similar conclusion as you in that I think Nurgle and Tzeentch combos could be pretty good and I might try to do it. Tough with some fast and shooty elements. Which leads me to the point. You've solved the fluff problem that bothers us so by possessing mortals in a sort of 'counts as' way. Which works well. I simply can't bear the thought of having Nurgle and Tzeentch units fighting under the same banner. But I think I may have thought of a way around it. Some sort of fluff were these two daemons or heralds or whatever are locked in an age long combat. The fury of which sometimes creates warp rifts and whatnots and the combat spills out into the mortal realm; at which point the unleashed daemons wreak havoc on the material realm as much as they can before returning to the immaterium to resume their conflict. Or some such thing. This could work well for the summoning aspect of the army where one army would arrive and then the other follows them in. Sorry to go on and on off topic but it is somewhat related. In any case, I'm thinking about it.

Back on topic:

The conversion is looking great so far. The mix of muscle and sinew and wires and whatnots is going to create a really cool aesthetic. One question though. You say this sentinel monstrosity is going to be a DP and that you are going to start working on the shooty arms. Will it be Tzeentchian? As those DPs are the only ones with ranged attacks (I think). Might it not work better to count it as a soul grinder?

Anyways, keep up the good work. I'm stoked about this army.
"Beware of this and that." Edward Gorey
web ghost

Postby tinfoil » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Okay, that "codpiece effect" was really bugging me, so I took out my snippers and....
Worked in a few cables while I was at it (the first of many).
And also took the opportunity to pin the torso/cabin to the legs while the back was open. (You can just see the pin if you look closely here:)

Brett: thanks for the enouragement. Coming from you, it means a lot. (And let me ponder your ideas a bit before responding.)
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:37 pm

Progress on several fronts.
First, the head. I was originally planning to pick one of the new spawn sprue heads for this creature. Then I remembered the old spawn head, the one with like 7 sets of concentric jaws and rings of teeth.... I've always loved that image. And as it happened, I had several in my bitz box. So out one comes.
The neck is too straight for my taste, though. I decided it was worth sawing the thing in two, pinning it with a winding wire, and green-stuffing in the fit.
Like so:
another angle, this one showing why I love the bit so much
and one more angle

After a rough layer of greenstuffing, I have this:

(I'm waiting overnight for the greenstuff to dry, before affixing it to the torso.)

As for the "gun," I'll probably use the sentinel multilaser as a base (did I say this already?), but twirl some flamer arm/mouths off of the barrel. Something like:
and looking down the "barrel"... Image

Tomorrow I'll begin fitting these components to the main body.

It's coming together.....
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Slowly but steadily, this creature takes form.
Worked a bit on the back, and started some greenstuffing and cabling here and there.
First, several shots from the back:
and:

And then, from the side:
and the front:

Still a long way to go. I envision at least 4 more stages of green stuffing. Right now I'm just experimenting with textures.

I am liking the bent over pose, so I think I'll keep him deeply hunched -- as if he's sniffing for prey like some cyborg T-Rex.
Hmmm, think I'll give him a tail, too.

As usual, C&C would be most welcome. (I feel a little like I'm talking to myself, here!)[/img]
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby afeinman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Give him a tail.

Needs more "stuff".

Needs more bulbousness.

What god are you aiming for? It looks too clean...
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby tinfoil » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 am

Progress update:
After several attempts at crafting a suitably demonic gun arm, I think I have something I'm satisfied with. As planned, I'm using the sentinel multilaser arm, with flamer "arms" winding around the barrels. It's taken a couple of different sessions of assembly and re-assembly, but I think I have the basic blocking I want. Just to be sure the arm worked with the model as a whole, I've gone ahead and pinned it to the main body (leaving a lot of room for green-stuffed ligature, cabling and so on to create a join later).
Here's what we're looking at so far:
Keep in mind, I still have a lot of green-stuffing to do. I will probably greenstuff/graft a "shoulder" of sorts onto the back end of the gun arm.
And of course, I need to figure out what to do about the "arm" on the other side.
Sorry the pictures are bad. At least you can get a sense of the general outlines, I hope.

Finally, to see how the gun arm worked with the head, I blue tacked (actually white tacked) the head to the torso.
The white blob around the ring of the neck is just temporary. The actual join will be green-stuffed, and much more organic looking.

I'll be playing a league game tonight, so no progress for a few days. But then I'll dig back in.
So, any C&C?
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 am

Alright, more progress.
Last night I mashed and mushed more greenstuff onto the creature, beginning to work up the back shoulders, and further articulating the gun arm and legs.

He's not yet where I want him. I need to further refine much of the work on the back to suggest "erupting spawnish/organo/cyborg/demonisity," rather than just "greenstuff lava flow." (As Alex urged, more gribbliness is definitely coming!) So more detail work, more veins and tubes, more cabling are in store. But it's easier now to grasp the basic form, I think.

Some other angles, to give a feel for the proportions and "anatomy" of this most unnatural creature:
and:

I'll put another round of work into him tonight. (I'm finding I need to layer the work in stages, or else my fingers mash up what I've already done as I hold the model to work on it.)

I'm still going back and forth with myself on what to do about his other arm. But I'm reaching the point where I'll have to make a decision and try out something. (I find I invariably reach a certain stage of work on a project at which, liking what I've done so far, I hesitate to proceed, not wanting to muck it up, yet knowing I've got to try something new on an unfinished section. One of the reasons I started this log was to force myself through such periods of doubt and timidity.)
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Next

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling