Demon Army: A Haunted Regiment

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: Demon Army: A Haunted Regiment

Postby Drool_bucket » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:26 pm

I dont' know, the way the things hips are, all we are missing is a kilt and this could be some Khorne-Scotmans ramming a daemon-sheep in the ass....
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:37 pm

That's Fred's fluff: the formless herald happened upon a Khorne-Scotsman ramming a daemon-sheep in the ass, absorbed their form, and turned their act of love into a cruel mockery...
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby tinfoil » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:27 pm

NobleSavage wrote:One suggestion I do have for painting this: make sure you have sufficient contrast between the colors of the herald and the hound. With the herald leaning forward so close to the hound's mane, they'd sort of blend together if their coloration was too close. That's the only draw-back with some of your Harrowed conversions--there's a metric butt-ton of cool Chaos-y things going on, but everything's the same blue-white, which ties the army together nicely, but some of your painstaking greenstuff sculpting gets lost in the blue-white mass.

That's a good suggestion. Both the rider and the mount are Khorne, but I'll have to brainstorm some color scheme that pulls out the contrast.

NobleSavage wrote:Will this guy be physically big enough to be a herald? A higher, built-up base can really make a mini seem bigger and more "champagne room" that it really is.

Yup, I think so too. I'm thinking of modeling a base that depicts the Herald storming over a fallen section of Aegis line.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh, and Ian: :lol:
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:32 am

It's been awhile since I last posted. Sorry for the lapse.

The truth is, with Dorka playing less 40k these days, some of the impetus has bled out of this project.

Still, I do take out the modeling tools and the greenstuff from time to time, fiddling away. And actually a few interesting projects are starting to take shape.

Time to be posting, then!

First, here's how the Herald of Khorne model finished:

To finish the thing off I added some strokes suggesting that the daemon is fused organically with his war mount. So yeah, Ian,
some Khorne-Scotmans ramming a daemon-sheep in the ass

A few extra “armor” touches hopefully convey that the conversion is meant to be riding a juggernaut. At least the creature looks lean and lethal, like his rider.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby SRM » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:55 am

That looks brutal!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:24 pm

That looks great Fred.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby NobleSavage » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Saw it. Liked it. That thing looks like its coming at a high rate of speed to shut shit down on a massive basis.

(I think it's funny that in your army, demons don't just fuse with material objects, the demons even fuse with other demons. "Hey, you got your Bloodletter in Juggernaught!" "No, you got your...")
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby NobleSavage » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:43 pm

I like those armored legs a lot, too. Extra juggernaut flava, yo.

Like you, I was wondering about the scale of the rider vs. the mount, but it came out fine in the end.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby tinfoil » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:08 am

NobleSavage wrote:That thing looks like its coming at a high rate of speed to shut shit down on a massive basis.

Indeed!

Thanks for the kind words.

The Herald more or less in hand, I've since turned to a bigger project.

*cue ominous music....
‘Show us. Show us,’ the creature demanded, rising in a gathering vortex of smoke and fire and wreckage and viscera, its many voices jabbering in excited clamor as it gyred. ‘Show us our prize.’

Thralls bowed low and gestured, crooked-limbed.

And there it lay. A ruin of armor, half-buried in the rubble of the temple it had guarded. Turret wrenched loose, treads unspooled, hull riddled with wounds: a tangle of steel hissing and popping in a pale sheen of coruscating fire. “Ah. Aaah,” cooed the creature as it flitted near.

Behind, minions gathered in a cautious, ragged semi-circle, keeping a careful distance from the whirl of energies that radiated from the larger creature, yet drawn irresistibly in even so. A few, coaxed too close, or pushed from behind as the Host pressed in, immolated in pale fire and burst into smoke, shrieking as they were sucked into the spiral. Murmurs spread through the Host at this sign of their Lord’s waxing power.

Some held further back, muttering on the outskirts of the circle. They were leaner and more lethal, these warriors. Battle slaves, breathing sulfur: dragoons, janissaries, lancers. One, the largest, spat and spoke. ‘For this?’ snarled Gk’naash. ‘For this… this debris, has our Host spent so much flesh, so much sinew and bone?” He swung his axe behind them, indicating the battlefield strewn with corpses. “Your battle price is dear, my lord. Your tactics cripple us.’

The larger creature whirled more slowly, fixing the lesser daemon with a dozen eyes, all of them now glaring coldly.

For a moment G’knaash met the stares, his war mount growling, his grip tightening around the haft of his weapon....
Then he averted his eyes and gave a slight bow. A very slight bow.

‘Aye, herald,’ the larger creature said, speaking now with one low, dangerous voice. ‘Aye, for this.’ The whirl, which had slowed to near stillness, began to coil again, accelerating as new mouths opened along the outer skein of the spinning mass. ‘Come, my blood captain, do you not smell it? Feel it? Surely even your dull daemon senses sniff the spoors spilled here.”

The creature rose, pitching a multitude of voices in cawing chorus. “For this, my Host, is not merely a wreck, or steel, or a tank or a weapon or a vehicle or a gun. This is armor that was clad in doomed faith and desperate purpose. This is a battle engine built to be a bastion of inspiration. This was metal and mettle. The mortals banked their creed here. They armed this and prayed to this. And when their fated hour drew nigh, they cowered behind it, despairing because it had failed them.”

The gyre drifted, positioning itself almost delicately over the wreckage.

“And now, it is ours.”

Steel shrieked as the vortex descended, funneling, boring into the hull. And then a new face burst open within the whirling mass of matter that framed and formed the creature above. A face twisted in agony. A voice not speaking, only screaming in raw terror. “Behold Artrurius Harl,” surrounding mouths within the whirl announced. “Once lord commissar, decorated defender of the faith. Now caught and cradled within the wheel of Change. Now harrowed.”

Minions among the audience started to bark and squeal, hopping in excitement as the mood swept through the Host.

“Summon the Warp whistlers and prepare the rituals,” the creature commanded. “We have the very vessel here in hand.”

*fade to flickering blue flames....

The next project on the table will be a Harrowed daemon engine. A Soul Grinder.

For inspiration and a centerpiece, I started with one of my favorite bits, the head off the original chaos dreadnought:
(And this, Dylan, is why I resisted selling that OOP Chaos Dread back to you several years ago....)

I affixed to a Soul Grinder chassis:

I attached several pieces of bent coat-hanger wire:

And I started in with the harrowing, weaving and braiding in tendrils, cables, tentacles…

I was hoping the malevolent head would acquire character as I went:

… and I think, over time, it did:

Blending the two core elements together was challenging. I did not want to lose the distinct character and look of the Dreadnought head.

But I also wanted to fuse it into something that would look like an organic whole.

Then I worked in a morbid “hood ornament”:

He’s still alive, this wretched ruin of a man, pinioned, crucified, kept alive by unnatural means so that he can nourish the daemon engine with his ceaseless torment.

More to come.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby SRM » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:47 pm

That's a great use of an awesome old bit! Can't wait to see the final product.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 am

Great. Another Soul Grinder. Just what your army was lacking. :P
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 pm

So obviously it's been awhile since I've posted here.
Largely because it's been awhile since I've been hobbying in anything like a consistent, linear, productive fashion.
But lately I've resolved to revive and resume my grim distance dark future habit.
No really! Believe it or not I finally delivered the Fortress of Fredemption to Mason, more-or-less modeled to completion.

And I've been noodling with some other stuff too. Or more accurately, Harrowing some other stuff.

For instance....

I'm started with a few pieces that will be playable as Harrowed, but that eventually, in the fullness of time, might also be worked up into some version of a Dark Mechanicus army.

First up will be a daemonic herald/tech priest dude. Two incredible GW models form the inspiration and basis of this project, namely, the Gaunt Summoner (a Tzeentch herald) and the tech priest clamshell model (can't remember what he's called -- he's the one who looks like a slimmed down Belasarius Cawl).

The staff gets a simple "head-swap," working in some Tzeentchish iconography...

Then comes another head-swap, this time for the figure itself. I definitely wanted to include my favorite part of the gaunt summoner -- that creepy head!
Damn I love that bit! Been wondering just what to do with it ever since I saw it.

Now, next comes... hmm ... what does come next?

Ooh, ooh, I know. I'll try some ... (wait for it) ... greenstuffing!
Yeah. Maybe some tentacles and such.

and

So I'm off again, back into the fray! And I'm really enjoying myself. Already sliced open a fingertip with an injudicious yank of my Exacto blade and everything.

As for what's coming.... Well, Jack has fixed me up with a trove of AM bits. So I've got a fair-sized pile of possibilities to work with. Stay tuned!
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Damn! That guy's creepily delicious, Fred!

Also, congrats on finishing the Fortress of Fredemption. I'm sure Mason's delighted with it.

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby mace_ace » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:31 am

I AM!
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 pm

This is the good shit right here. Can't wait to see more of this guy.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling