Demon Army: A Haunted Regiment

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Re: Demon Army: A Haunted Regiment

Postby tinfoil » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 pm

The wings from that Zombie Counts zombie dragon.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Those wings are 18.99 from the Hoard of Bits eBay site.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby tinfoil » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 pm

stormboy wrote:Those wings are 18.99 from the Hoard of Bits eBay site.

Yeah, I saw that. But the rest of the kit looks useful too, so I think I'll wait and get the whole box.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:04 pm

What's this?! The Harrowed, fallen to the second page?!?!? I won't have it, I tell you. I won't have it!

I have been gnawing and gnoodling on various Harrowings.

Remember that Lord of Change fetus? The thing continues to chrysalize and uncoil. Here's how he's looking lately:

When unsure, add more greenstuff, right?

On the back of the creature, I've been tendrilling in some tortured souls...
...drawing from the ever-useful WHFB Vampire Counts Corpse Cart pickings.

And I've worked in a few daemon eyes on either side of the creature's "torso":
and...

So there he is. I'm still unsure about whether to add in a pair wings, or make him a giant daemonic jelly-fish creature, floating along, trailing tendrils, leaking etheric energies.... What do you folks think?

Thanks for looking.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:46 pm

or make him a giant daemonic jelly-fish creature, floating along, trailing tendrils, leaking etheric energies

Ooooo, that! Anybody can slap a pair of wings on anything and call it a "demon". But only tinfoil can make a "giant daemonic jelly-fish creature, floating along, trailing tendrils, leaking etheric energies"!!!!

I forget, is this monstrosity supposed to be shooty? Is that why the autocannon muzzles are all pretty much still facing foward, despite the coily-ness that replaced the barrels? That's kinda the only part of this monster that I've never not loved. It's too... linear... somehow, for a etheric, half-formed horrible nightmarish thing... If the model ISN'T shooty, maybe the autocannon muzzles could be the etheric jellyfish feelers/dragging tentacles?

I feel like I might have said this before. If you've already said "I've noted your negative nancy-ness in my log, and will give it precisely as much attention as it merits," then just ignore me.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 pm

One thing to keep in mind... He needs to occupy roughly the same amount of space as an actual lord of change... so my response to the "Jelly Fish or Wings" debate would be BOTH.

Grab a 60mm and start building him up... go nuts. Ultimately he's a centerpiece model and should look like a centerpiece model.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 pm

The Lord of Change is "shooty" in the sense of having a lot of psykerific superpowers--including Tzeentchy witchfire stuff. So yeah, I do want the conversion to convey both "flying" and "shooty/psyky."
edit: although given the 7th edition retake on psychic stuff, my particular Lord of Change will probably be more about Malific Daemonology (e.g., summoning) than about witchfire "shooting." Still.....

Good points, Brad. Maybe it has to be both.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:55 am

Good points, Brad. Maybe it has to be both.

Brad. Pfft. What does Brad know about 40K?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby tinfoil » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:26 am

All praises to Tzeentch, Changer of Ways. My Lord of Change has, well, changed.

Given that in 7th edition the creature will be more given to ivination and daemonic/malefic shenanigans than to witchfirey mischief, I decided to rework part of my conversion. I took out the quad-guns-going-Tzeentchy part, and spliced in more eyeballs and a mortal victim/vessel instead:
Then set to with some more harrowing. Wove in greenstuff…

…and yet more greenstuff…

and (…wait for it…) then some more stuff of green. Bringing things to more or less this point:

Here are a couple of side views, A:

Now the thing is ready for wings. (At least, I think it will grow wings. I’ll pin work up a pair and try pinning it on, to see what I think.)

Thanks for looking.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 am

NEEDS wings! Tiny Creature is Tiny!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:45 pm

The Lord of Change is preparing to take flight!

First, by acquiring a pair of wings.

I've never been satisfied with the notion that something as chaotic, as daemonic, as changeful as a Lord of Change would ever be content with a pair of gigantic feathered bird wings. Seems far too ordinary.

In search of something more suitable, I chose a pair of wings from the WHFB zombie-dragon kit and set in harrowing...

...until about this point:

and:

I didn't want to overdo things, but felt that some tendrilling and tentacling, a bit of eye-outgrowth, some harrowing here and there would be needed to bring the wings in line with the overall look of the creature. I want to convey the idea of a protean entity, boiling with change--a daemon continuously creating itself, never fully fixed or formed. I'm hoping to evoke the idea that the daemon's wings are growing/erupting/manifesting even as the beast takes to the air.

Meanwhile, as a base for the model, I took housing of the aegis gun platform. (After all, the creature is dis-placing and possessing the aegis gun itself as a host mechanism.) This part of the model is still rough, but I'm thinking something along the lines of:

That's a starting point. I'll be doing more with this.

At this point the basic components of the model are more-or-less roughed out. Realizing that the various pieces are going to be much easier to paint separately, I'll hold off on final assembly.

Still, impatient to get a sense of the larger whole, I pinned and dry-tacked and held the contraption together long enough to snap off a few pictures.

Here's the plan...

... from above:

... and behind:

... and head-on:

... and from an angle:

Some of these pictures are kind of blurry (sorry) -- but at least you get a sense of the scale and compositional sketch of it.

Thanks for looking.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby mace_ace » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing how it will connect to the base.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Now that's looking good... it also is looking like it needs to be targeted by a ton of bolter fire loaded with Imperial righteousness.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

Ah. This project log has sunk below the waves. Somewhere over the course of the summer, a season marked by real life challenges, gloom and anxiety, I (literally) lost the thread.

Now comes autumn, with some encouraging developments on the real-life front (very welcome!). Why not try to recover momentum here too?

Despite the lack of proper remembrancing, progress on this project proceeds. Or should I call it “progress”? Regardless, the Harrowed continue their slow spiral into daemonic degeneration.

I’m still working—fitfully, it must be admitted—on painting the new Lord of Change conversion. Because I don’t particularly like the way it’s coming out yet, I’ll hold off on sharing pictures, and keep trying.

Meanwhile I model away on other parts of the army.

I’ve started up a conversion for the Khorne herald. This daemonic captain rides herd on the Flesh Hounds, wielding an Axe of Khorne and driving on the baying beasts from the back of a juggernaut. Wanting to blend him in a bit with the hounds, I took the artistic liberty of using a “shaved,” “wired” and “tendriled” dire wolf model as the basis for a mount, and topping the beast with a bloodletter model:
and:

Then I added more gothic gimcrack:

And then (sorry, I seem to have misplace a round of pictures), fleshed in the Herald himself:
and:

He’s not quite done yet. For example, I still need to work out something for the back and tail:
But otherwise he’s getting close:
And while the rider does look a bit out of proportion to the mount, I’m hoping the overall effect is nightmarish enough to carry off the conversion.

I have other conversions that are coming together, so expect more updates soon, and more reliable reporting. Thanks for looking.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

Oh, Boise, Idaho, do I like that Khorne herald! You got the position of the rider just right--leaning forward into the charge, clinging to the back of his demonic mount.

The proportion might be just a scootch off, but I really don't think it's a big deal. A little weirdness might actually be desirable for demons. One suggestion I do have for painting this: make sure you have sufficient contrast between the colors of the herald and the hound. With the herald leaning forward so close to the hound's mane, they'd sort of blend together if their coloration was too close. That's the only draw-back with some of your Harrowed conversions--there's a metric butt-ton of cool Chaos-y things going on, but everything's the same blue-white, which ties the army together nicely, but some of your painstaking greenstuff sculpting gets lost in the blue-white mass.

Will this guy be physically big enough to be a herald? A higher, built-up base can really make a mini seem bigger and more "champagne room" that it really is.

I like the direction the Lord of Change has taken. I was never sold on the autocannon barrels, but the retension of the ammo feeds and especially the Aegis gun base still retains the narrative. The wings are going to work nicely, and I wasn't sure of them either. Shows what I know! (Orks and space-going Scandinavian werewolves are really my bag.)

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling