Re: Fortress of Fredemption

Postby Zombie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Damn man, this thing is amazing.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Every set of pictures makes this more and more awesome. It's gone beyond what I was hoping for.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Holy goddamn, Fred. That rules. I've dug this from the start, but that tower is appropriately the center of attention and your best work on this thing so far.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:28 pm

III.
“We will stand her here, on this hallowed ground.”

The man was growing more shrill each time he repeated the phrase, savant Eleq observed from the far end of the table. Briefly he considered interjecting. Technically speaking the ground could not be officially sanctioned as “hallowed” until the Ministorum had ruled on the petition for canonization.

But Eielon Joquille, Reliquarian Annointed, was in high froth and determined to press his point home. “Hallowed ground,” he repeated, enunciating each consonant with grim relish. “Here stood Filal, bound in chains, unflinching even as the foul beasts of the arch-enemy tore at him. Here, from this promontory, rose his last pious prayers to the Emperor Enthroned. And here, brethren, is where the great work must be built.”

The political ramifications were growing clear. Eielon would be speaking for the Arch Cardinal, as everyone around the table well knew. And Hiyl Thrasis was not a man to leave anything to chance. Probably he had already engineered Filal’s canonization. Plainly he had set his sights on this location for the Chapel Fortress.

Fleetingly Eleq wondered what Filal’s last words really had been. The savant had been party to hundreds of interrogations over the years, and heard more than a few last words delivered in extremis. None of them pious or full of anything like grace.

He glanced around the table. The Warmaster’s delegate, Lord Marshal Olomus Graere, was nodding emphatically. “The ground is suitable,” the soldier said, rising stiffly. “Defensible. Strategically sited. And of course symbolic. The Astra Militarum bow to the Cardinal’s wishes on this matter.” Upon which Olomus did just that: bowed in the reliquarian’s direction. A literal man, Eleq reflected.

Would the Liege Council weigh in?

The Governor was not putting in a personal appearance, of course. His Excellency Greigor Tsorson XXXVII, scion of a lineage said to trace back to Terra itself (or so the House scribes claimed), remained cloistered on a vessel somewhere in orbit above them, awaiting word of comprehensive planetary compliance.

Nor would the consiglierae of House Tsorson be in any great hurry to land. The boy was too young, and in any event far too valuable to display before reconstruction had been set securely in train.

In his Excellency’s stead the Liege Council had dispatched one of the child’s senior tutors, the chamberlain Affar Ellott, a wizened husk of a man interred in a casket of amniotic fluid cradled in a thick nest of data cables and logicae enginery.

Scarcely a dozen words had issued from that apparatus since the council had convened. None issued now. Evidently House Tsorson was willing to let the Ecclesiarchy have its way on this one.

A waiting silence had fallen over the table. Was it time to speak? Would his master rise in objection, the savant wondered, now that it was clear they would be opposing not merely the fervor of the reliquarian but, behind that, the looming will of a man as powerful as Arch Cardinal Hiyl Thrasis?

Against such imposing certainty what did they have to offer? Disquieting auguries? Ancient mosaics unearthed in caves wormed deep beneath the place? A strange taste in his mouth, like ash, and a ringing headache that had set in the moment Eleq had laid eyes on those disquieting images?

Beside him he felt his master give an imperceptible shake of his head.

That was it, then.

Later, as the pair made their way down the cliff path, he permitted himself to try one last time. “Is there nothing to be done?”

“No.” His master sighed. “No, I think not.”

“And the caves?” Eleq ventured.

“Seal them,” Inquisitor Ramulir said softly. “Fill and bury them and see that they are shut as tightly as lore can bind.”

I continue to pick and peck away at this project. Still working on the upper part of the tower, for the most part. The weather being mild and not too sunny today, I took the piece outside to get some pictures.

and

and

and

As you can see, I'm giving myself more rein near the top of the tower. By the time I'm done, the thing might end up looking like a volcanic eruption of daemonic energy.

Next step will be putting the ceiling/upper platform on the tower, then meshing in more warp-age. In the meantime, here's a look down into the tower...
... before I seal it off.

Thanks for looking, and for the kind words and suggestions.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby mace_ace » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Bravo good sir!
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Jonasty » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:08 pm

You've probably already got plans/ideas but I could totally see that roof being taken up by a single gigantic eye staring up. It'd allow for some crazy details and a nasty paintjob. Or maybe even some kind of horror bursting out of the pupil, although I don't know how you'd make that happen with the transluscent membrane aspect of an eye. Just some suggestions but this thing looks amazing!
Jonasty

Postby tinfoil » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Lack of updates notwithstanding, this project has continued to fester and spread, slowly and silently, like a cancer. It’s time to look in on things, don’t you think?

I’ve been putting most of my work into the central tower of the fortress. First I fastened the four sides together….
Understand, daemonic possession is a messy business. Every soul inside the fortress has been clawed open from the inside. This savage, serial desecration has channeled vast, hideous, seething energies into the structure. Now the tower itself is starting to split open from within. Accordingly I had splayed open the tops of the towers a little. So I had to build a kind of scaffolding inside to hold up the roof. After warping the roof a bit…
… I set it in place…
… and set in with greenstuff.
And more greenstuff…
and more….

I realized at some point I was overdoing things. But I couldn’t stop myself. What can I say? The Ruinous Powers are ultimately responsible. I am merely a vessel.

So here’s an overview of the top:

And a few scenic “landscape” shots here.

and here.

So, yeah. I think I did kind of take things over the top. Though believe it or not, I think the roof is still “playable” in a game sense.
In any event, I think I’d better stop now, and move on to other parts of the project.

Thanks for looking.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:45 pm

That is fucking terrific!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby jeremy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Love the hands coming out of the greenstuff and face in the center. Awesome!
"Christianity is the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie, who was his own father, can make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity, because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.... makes perfect sense.
jeremy
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Sweet Mother of Blessed Erections! That is killer Fred!
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby 92acclude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 pm

shit... that's good...
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 63
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby mace_ace » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:43 pm

There's a reason I asked Fred to do this and i am not at all sorry I did.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I don't think it's over the top--in the first pic of the roof top in place, I thought there was going to be open space at the corners where the walls splayed out. But it turns out, that open space was simply the canvas for more demonically inspired green stuffing!

Well played, Bond. Well played.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby SRM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:17 am

God DAMN that's sick.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling