Fistin'

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Fistin'

Postby mace_ace » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Since January 2002 I've been playing Black Legion. I have Chaos Renegades as well, and even Tyranids, but I don't think anyone was prepared for the day I'd start an Imperial army *gasp*.

I've always viewed the Imps as to stoic and too rigid to be very interesting. The Uriel Ventris novels started me thinking that that wasn't enitrely true, and the Horus Heresy novels have really proven me wrong, especially the Imperial Fists in the HH. Man, that Dorn is one helluva guy. The IFs just seem so interesting to me. Rigid still, but needfully so and not over the top black and white. Hell, even the novel about the Word Bearers attacking Calth made the Ultramarines and Guilliman more than one dimensional. Yeah, that part freaked me out as well.

I've been taken by the bold and stark yellow as well. Dylan painted such an awesome looking army, and I could use a break from black with metallics and a little color. I had a conversation with Dylan before the codex was released about jonesing to start these as well as with Brad. To say that they were encouraging would be an understatement. As it turns out the Chapter that I chose happens to have awesome chapter tactics to boot.

So far I've gotten a tac squad and Lysander. I ordered the CF/IF upgrade pack (shoulder pads and backpacks) from GW as well. The squad is nearly built and I have a primed and yellow Army Painter sprayed marine as a test model. I'll be posting progress as I go.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Re: Fistin'

Postby mace_ace » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm

mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Do I not see the reloading dude in that squad? That's gotta be one of my favorite bits from the new kits. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with a scheme so different from your Black Legion!

Are you going to go for more of a mustardy yellow, or for a bright, in-your-face kind of yellow?
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm going bright. I'm going to try this test model with the colors and methods in the How to paint Space Marines book (the free one on iPad). the only difference being that they start with a basecoat of Averland Sunset which is more mustardy than the Army Painter Daemonic Yellow I used.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 am

That is bright. I guess my recommendation would be to do this to a rhino too. A yellow that bright might work on a marine, but it could easily look out of place on the vehicles with all of their large open spaces. GW adds a rust undertone to it for this reason alone I think.

But that is just my opinion. I am excited to see that you are getting into Imperials.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby SRM » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:20 am

Nice, I think Fists should be as bright as possible, the better to see them from space.

You can get away with vehicles that bright, just wash in the recesses and clean it up with the base color.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby K » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:22 am

Oh my lord, the world has gone all tipsy turvy on me. Mason playing imperials!?!
Any young lads around here interested in some high adventure!
K
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:08 am

Yessss....welcome to team yellow....

That's a good solid bright base to put shading on top of. Any darker and you start having ugly muddiness.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby mace_ace » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Not too happy with the way this is coming out so far. I tries a Reikland Flash shade wash which looks great in the recesses but muddies the broader armor too much (look at his left knee). I want these guys to pop! So I'll be following the How to Paint Tactical Marines free iPad book and use a fine detail brush to get the Reikland Flesh shade where it belongs. I'll edge with Ushbati Bone like they suggest but I think I'll then glaze with Lamenters Yellow. Hopefully that will tie the highlight back into the armor a bit and yellow up the broader surfaces. If I'm going to do this maybe I should use white instead or Ushbati Bone? Or maybe Screaming Skull which is lighter than Ushbati.

The real dick kick is that I'd love to re-spray it yellow tonight and start over but it is way too humid to spray right now.

mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm

If you're looking to neaten up pools of wash, you can use a q-tip with a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the surface you want to clean. Works great, just don't rub too hard.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby K » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:17 am

I don't know if you like the look of my yellow Eldar, but I used a thinned down Fuegan Orange shade. Personally I liked the orange shade for the yellow instead of your traditional brown shade. May want to give it a try.
Any young lads around here interested in some high adventure!
K
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 am

What I do for my Dark Angels is wash the whole thing, then paint the raised areas again with the base color. Army Painter sells bottles of paint in the exact colors as their sprays; you could grab the yellow one and work from there. So you'd prime the model, wash it, then paint all the raised areas again in the base color. That's how 'Eavy Metal does it.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby 92acclude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 am

The AP yellow doesn't cover for shit.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 63
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby timd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:09 am

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the way that wash turned out.

Really excited to see the direction you take these guys
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby SRM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 am

92acclude wrote:The AP yellow doesn't cover for shit.

Neither does their Dark Angels Green equivalent, it takes like 2-3 coats.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling