Tim's Serious Dumb Question of the Week

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Tim's Serious Dumb Question of the Week

Postby timd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:48 pm

How dangerous is resin (of the Forgeworld Variety)? I mean actually.

I've never really worked with it too much beyond a few rhino doors here and there, but I have a bunch of Krieg stuff it's time I get rolling on. Do I need to wear a mask and sterilize my desk after? Full hazmat suit? Do I just need to avoid taking in huge gulps of it, and I'll be fine?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Re: Tim's Serious Dumb Question of the Week

Postby tinfoil » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:55 pm

From what I've read, it's dangerous in all but trace amounts. If I'm hand-filing it at my desk in small doses I don't wear a mask, but I make sure the room is well-ventilated -- and sometimes I get light-headed. If you're grinding it with, say, a dremel, I'd definitely recommend wearing a mask.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby afeinman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 pm

It's not toxic per se, it clogs up your lungs. The particles are just the right size and sharp.

Fred, not sure you can blame your lightheaded ways on the resin.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby DAPatrick » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 pm

It's not that dangerous. Don't try to inhale it and you will be fine. Blow your nose well after working with it.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby mace_ace » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:06 pm

If I don't wear a mask when sanding or grinding I get a headache that makes me pray for death. Take that as you will.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby 92acclude » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 pm

DAPatrick wrote:It's not that dangerous. Don't try to inhale it and you will be fine. Blow your nose well after working with it.

This. I feel like it's no worse than sawdust. Avoid inhalation, but don't think it's the instacancer.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2018: 5
2017: 141 | 2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby DAPatrick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 am

92acclude wrote:
DAPatrick wrote:It's not that dangerous. Don't try to inhale it and you will be fine. Blow your nose well after working with it.

This. I feel like it's no worse than sawdust. Avoid inhalation, but don't think it's the instacancer.

Oh its well worse than sawdust, but far from 'bad'. You aren't going to encounter it in the quantities that you need to worry about it. If I WORKED at forgeworld, I sure as shit would wear a mask and goggles everyday, but a bit of contact here and there are no worse than anything else you encounter.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Exokan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 am

Dead serious. It's nothing. Shit I sand that shit around my family and there haven't ever been complaints. I was fucking around with that shit today... No mask, no fan. I'm good to go.
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby timd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 am

Alright cool, sounds like my huge Breaking Bad meth mask might be a little much.

Thanks for the info!
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby DAPatrick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:18 am

If you have it, wear it for sanding, but don't go and buy one if you don't have one.
DAPatrick

Postby Hippie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 pm

I've never used any masks but I do not blow the dust from sanding/filing off like I do from plastic or metal. Just wipe it up with a damp cloth or sponge. It is the airborne particles that are bad. Same goes for Asbestos and silica from concrete dust.
Hippie

Postby afeinman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Wear the mask. If you like the ventilator, go for it!

Resin, as I understand it, is not toxic. It's not a poison. It causes a physical problem--it jams up the tiny tubes in your lungs. It's cumulative. The problem is long-term exposure: the more you breathe in, the more lung capacity you give up.

Metal dust works the same way, it's just not as fast as resin (easier to cough up). Sawdust is different--while some of the particles may be the right size to jam in your alveolae, most get coughed up or breathed out again. However, some woods are *toxic* -- the body mounts an allergic response to them. This can be very dangerous because it's an allergic reaction in your lungs. Also, the lungs can get pissed and go cancerous (like with asbestos), or you end up with asthma (also caused by soot particles, which are even smaller).

So wear a mask, at least a surgical mask, and watch your hands and face after filing resin. If you don't, over the years, you will slowly fill up your lungs and there's nothing that can be done about it short of a lung transplant. (These days. Maybe in 2030 they'll invent some therapy where they fill your lungs with fluid and float the particles out.)

If you're having an immediate reaction where you get flushed or something like that, you may be reacting to outgassing from partially-cured resin or the mold release compound, both of which release mildly toxic chemicals. Basically the same as when you get a nice big whiff of superglue. Since FW models notoriously come with undercured resin, I could imagine that being a problem. I don't know anything about the long-term exposure to these chemicals, but they could be carcinogenic.
Last edited by afeinman on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby NobleSavage » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 pm

So, Tim to sum up:

Resin is good for you. But it's bad for you in infitesimal/small/medium/industrial size amounts. You should probably wear a mask--if you're a pussy. Resin is bad for you because it's toxic. Resin isn't toxic, it's bad for your lungs because of its size and its shape. Resin isn't bad for your lungs, but you should blow your nose afterwards. Just thinking about resin gives Mason a headache, but Mike rubs it on his penis and he feels fine! So resin isn't dangerous, but start lining up lung donors if you continue working with it. :?

I asked Randall Elliott if he thinks resin is dangerous, but his IM status has been "away from desk for more than 15 minutes" all day, so I bet that fucker's out getting a "massage with release" on company time. Because that's the kind of thing Randall Elliott gets up to when no keeps an eye on him.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby afeinman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:09 pm

"Go not to the internet for counsel, for they will tell you both yes, and no, and show you pictures of their cats."
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:10 pm

True Story...

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling