Space Marine blog

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

Space Marine blog

Postby stormboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 pm

I have had this idea in my head for a while about creating an Alpha Legion "Good guy" Chapter. My thought is that the AL infiltrated a regular chapter (or kept a sleeper cell in the Raven Guard) and were instrumental in the founding of a new chapter. I have stumbled across the Viper Legion, who have no back story or color schemes except that they were founded to help control the Eye of Terror.

I haven't decided which founding chapter to use, maybe Raven Guard or Ultramarines, because both give incredible flexibility to the army. Flexibility being an important aspect of the army selection for any sort of sneaky force. Though I am leaning towards Raven Guard.

Thanks to Dorka, and the wonderful guys in it, I have a huge starting force. Something I honestly can't even fathom. I am totally blown away by all of the guys and their kindness. You have all totally exploded my mind into a billion different pieces. I can't even form sentences to describe my thankfulness. You all rock.

Plus I have a bunch of FW stuff to add to the collection.

So there is much work to be done. Baby Amelia will be here in January, so I am hoping to lock down a paint scheme soon and get building right away.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Re: Viper Legion Blog

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:47 pm

You haven't finished this project yet? Slacker...
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Zombie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Sweet I can't wait to see this Jack.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Now I want to see a test model of the color scheme. I think the idea of Raven Guard feels more right because of the Deliverance Lost connection that you already mentioned, but also because their play style lends more to what I'd think the Alpha Legion would be like. Their being founded to help control the Eye of Terror makes even more sense due to the bargain that Alpharius made in Legion with the alien enclave.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Lucyth » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:11 am

stormboy wrote: You have all totally exploded my mind into a billion different pieces.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby jeremy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Whatever you do, just don't paint them yellow! ;-)
"Christianity is the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie, who was his own father, can make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity, because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.... makes perfect sense.
jeremy
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm disappointed you're not going with Rainbow Warriors.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:39 am

After some thought, I am wondering about just going with the Raven Guard. A home brew chapter is neat and all, but I like the idea of a founding chapter. I can work in a few secret type Alpha Legion models without creating a completely new chapter. Plus working out a paintscheme will be way easier.

Plus there is a good amount of FW support in decals and models, which is important for modeling and such.
stormboy

Postby Lucyth » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Do what you want big guy. I am the same way, though. I like the idea of Founding Chapters. I also like the idea of easy and minimal work.

Just get ready for lots of edge highlighting. Lots.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby K » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 am

My humble advice is to pick a founding chapter instead of making one up. Back when I first started my marine army they were a "make your own" and I got really tired really quickly of explaining to people exactly what chapter they were (and what rules they follow). Once I switched to the traditional Salamander colors I SOOOO much happier with the army and it's look. Plus from a painting and modeling perspective there is so much more fluff and inspiration to draw from with founding chapters. But do what you want.
Any young lads around here interested in some high adventure!
K
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 am

K wrote:My humble advice is to pick a founding chapter instead of making one up. Back when I first started my marine army they were a "make your own" and I got really tired really quickly of explaining to people exactly what chapter they were (and what rules they follow)

and you also hated making all those ball gags for the screaming head marines and the ass-less chaps being hand sculpted onto all your Sgt models.... You called them The Sons of Assplay, iirc?
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby K » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 am

FYI all chaps are ass-less, otherwise they're pants. But yes... modeling them was a pain.
Any young lads around here interested in some high adventure!
K
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 pm

I am starting to gather ideas for color schemes.

This model is for a potential Viper Legion model. I started with Caledor Sky and a shade of Biel-Tan Green.

I think I may have decided to go with Viper Legion, if only because I already added scaled capes to the FW Terminators that I have... When I was thinking Alpha Legion... of course I could just paint up some Alpha Legion as regular marines... as I think their are probably "good guy" AL out there. But that is my basic fluff for Viper Legion anyway...
stormboy

Postby stormboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 am

And then with highlights of Cabalite green and a touch of moot green.

I feel it needs a little more green, though the highlights look really neat.

Thoughts?

Maybe I will do a Raven Guard guy up and see what I can do.
stormboy

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:36 am

I like where this is heading... that color scheme looks really nice. I like the Viper Legion concept and will be fun to see on the table top.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling