2013 Painting Year In Review

Show off. Get mocked. Inflate your ego.

2013 Painting Year In Review

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 am

Another year of the miniatures hobby has come and gone and now we look back at what was accomplished this year.

As you know, we do a Painting Spreadsheet that tracks hobby activity. some of you participate, some of you think about participating, and some of you don't give a rip! :) Here's what we got done in 2013. Hopefully it provides motivation for 2014!

I've provided totals and a brief write-up for the activities of each person participating. Entries are in alphabetical order...

Brad: Assembled - 194, Painted - 53
Horrible year for me. I got started on a decent note and kind of tailed off. Lots of assembly, but not a lot of actual painting. A bit of Flames of War, a bit of 40k, and a bit of Malifaux at the end. The only truly bright spot is that my Slaanesh army is "mostly" complete... down to like 6 models. Sadly it's been down to 6 for about 2 months! :)

Campbell: Assembled - 115, Painted - 106
A great year for Campbell! He started off with some CSM Models, then moved heavily to his Dark Angels and Necromunda. Lots of Ravenwing, Deathwing and vehicles along with an Aegis for his Valhallans to hide behind. He finished the year strong with his new Ultramarines army project that we've seen on the forums. Look forward to more stuff next year.

Dylan: Assembled - 137, Painted - 124
Another great year for Dylan! He was all over the place this year with work done on Imperial Fists, WFB Dwarves, Necromunda, and Epic. He did some terrain painting and even painted up a some Space Marines for my army. (I should get some credit!) He also knocked out more RT Orks to bring that force up to tournament level for Standish.

Ian: Unknown, he doesn't track them correctly, but it says "79".
Ian had a solid year. Unsurprisingly he painted a lot of Malifaux! Mercenaries, Freikorps, Leviticus, Ramos, etc. Several crews this season that are looking great on the tabletop.

Jack: Another Spreadsheet Challenged, but he has 53 models marked completed!
Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks, then HOLY SHIT SPACE MARINES! Jack had a LOT on his plate this year in the form of Drill every weekend, getting Shana pregnant, Grad School, getting evicted, and buying a house. In the meantime, he also managed a ton of Trukk boys, Stormboys, Trukks, and he even got a massive squad of Nobs done... These are definitely not out of position!

Jon: Assembled - 200, Painted: 532
Jon had an outstanding year and once again led the group in output. A Relictors Space Marine army, a Sons of Medusa Space Marine army, tons of Tyranids, Chaos Raptors, Chaos Cultists, some FOW, some Black Legion, two complete Blood Bowl teams, a smattering of Necromunda, some Imperial Guard, a Space Hulk Genestealer Crew, and a ton of misc. figs for his Dungeon Crawl tile set. The list is truly impressive and hats off for the outstanding effort. I'm tired just thinking about it all! :)

Matt: Assembled - 110, Painted - 93
Matt had another awesome year! He started off the year with a ton of Orks - both WFB and 40k, including a Stompa! He moved on to some other WFB units before getting started on a massive painting project of both his own, and Jeremy's Malifaux figs Not mentioned on the sheet, but worth mentioning here is the entire Malifaux table he made by hand and cast up. It's the board people fight over to play on now and one look at it makes it obvious why!

Ron: I have no idea, cause he sucks at spreadsheeting!
Ron... I know he got the Space Hulk stuff finished for Jack, so that's like 22 models or so. I also know he got some Orks done. Beyond that, he's Ron and we love him unconditionally. :)

People that asked to be in the spreadsheet then didn't use it so we call them out and laugh:
Cody
Derek
Fred
JR
Mason
Patrick

That concludes this year's review of our painting prowess. As always, the purpose of this log isn't for bragging rights, but for motivation. It's easy to get to the end of the year and be bummed thinking you hadn't accomplished anything because you've forgotten stuff from early in the year. This helps alleviate that to a large degree.

I'll be making a new Sheet later today for 2014. Anyone that participated in the old sheet will be automatically invited to the new one. Anyone that is listed but didn't participate will be removed.

If you'd like to be added, PM me or email me directly or ask me in person, or call me, or text me, or ask someone else to ask me, or send a carrier pigeon.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: 2013 Painting Year In Review

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:14 am

It was a good year. I got a lot of stuff done personally. I've got more to do. Next year I am making a resolution to take more pictures and focus on my blog more.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 am

It has been a rough year for the painting for me. I've never seen much sense in spending time tracking what I am doing when I hardly have enough to do the actual painting, but with the community talk of Kanban boards lately I have been thinking of implementing one of them.
Anyway my list has been pretty sparse in terms of painting, but I've done more actual playing than any year recently which has been nice and sort of counts for something. For a large part of the year I was bogged down with one project, but it saw me produce the best minis I have painted this far. I also sped through a lot of things which might be the worst minis I have painted this far.

By my rough count:
Fantasy: probably about 35 models in total, including a cannon and chariot. Hopefully in the new year I can work on this army a bit more.
40K: 12 space hulk terminators. Probably about 30 Regular IG troops and 8 IG characters. 8 bikes and 2 marine models.

I have also done a bunch of work on scenery, including fully painting my Realm of Battle board and a fantasy watch tower as well as beginning the painting and assembly of a Mordheim inspired fantasy town.

Looks like right around 97 models.

My backlog is pretty bad as usual, but I think I spent a record low on 40k this year which is great. I also ebayed and bartertowned off a lot of my models which I have lying around.

In the New Years I would like to get my airbrush up and running to really push things through. I also recently picked up Dreadfleet for super cheap and would like to get that painted up. I am also working on some Lord of The Rings minis which I would like to get done soon. I also have a bane blade that I have been wanting to get painted but I have been putting off because I never recorded the way in which I painted my IG camo and wouldn't be able to get the same paints anyway. As soon as I figure that out there are a few tanks which I would push through which I have been dragging my feet on. I also recently got another land raider to work on and would like to get that and some more terminators on the table top.
Also I should start posting up more of the stuff I do.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby mace_ace » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:28 pm

With the new house and new client I've been buried and this has been the least productive hobby year for me ever. I have assembled 10 tac marines, 1 drop pod, 1 Vindicator, 5 sniper scouts, and 12 raptors. I have many things in various stages of painting but the only completely painted models I have are 5 cave spiders from Descent.
Yes, please do add me to the list again this year.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby stormboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:29 pm

I assembled a whole lot of marines this fall.

Tanks and FW stuff and new plastics... the new Marines are pretty amazing. I started with almost nothing in my bits box... a couple odds and ends from ork cast off projects really, and now I have a complete bits box at my disposal. Completely crazy.

I did make a big push to get my Trukk boys finished, and they are finished mostly. I picked up 5 more Stormboys at bits day, so now I need to assemble and paint them to get the squad to 20. The speed freek battlewagon still needs to be finished. I also painted a bunch of grot tanks but need to finish the grot mega tank.

In reality, Marines and orks are my focus, but Orks will take a back seat for painting until a new Dex arrives. I have pretty much everything I need for both armies... but I do love a lot of the new stuff GW is putting out and I would love to get the Hobbit game and paint up the dudes just to have them in a display case... so who knows?

Thanks Brad for organizing another year of painting and I will endeavor to use the spread sheet correctly this year!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby quiestdeus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm

This is some seriously impressive stuff guys! Wow.

Jon, 532, seriously?! I don't even know if I own that many models across Sisters, IG, BB, and WHFB combined - that is impressively hardcore :shock:
quiestdeus

Postby Zhent » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm

This is awesome. I have a log of what I've painted over the year, but never thought to account for the stuff that I assembled as well. Or purchased.

2014 should start off fairly strong, since I've agreed to do the IC's Hobby Progress Challenge - build a 1000 point Zone Mortalis force by June 30, and then add 1000 points to it to make a 40k-legal force by November, 2014.
Zhent

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Patrick wrote:I've never seen much sense in spending time tracking what I am doing when I hardly have enough to do the actual painting,

That's understandable... My original point in starting this was mostly just as a memory aid really. I'd get to December and be completely bummed out because I "hadn't gotten much done" because a lot of little things would fall through the cracks and get forgotten. The social aspect of tracking it this way helps as a reminder to actually go track things... and for instance, in my case, I don't feel I've gotten as much done this year as I wanted to... the sheet confirms that and motivates me to do better going forward.

Mason: I've added you to this years sheet and the link should be in your email.

Anyone else that just wants to bookmark it to see what's going on over the year, it's a public link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao33Oq0Ba1xIdGV5cGQxb1llcW15bTBzWWxVeE1sSWc&usp=sharing
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:26 pm

quiestdeus wrote:This is some seriously impressive stuff guys! Wow.

Jon, 532, seriously?! I don't even know if I own that many models across Sisters, IG, BB, and WHFB combined - that is impressively hardcore :shock:

I disturb myself.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:24 pm

My output pales in comparison to 2012's (only part of which was tracked by the sheet) but I'm pretty happy with where my Ultramarines project has been going. I need to work on painting that scheme faster is all, and that's reflected in the number of models I painted. Jon, that is a truly insane number of models and is definitely commendable.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:17 pm

I've painted myself into a corner! Er, Things got a bit out of control...

I think I took off a month or two here and there, but for the most part I painted every day for months and months. I've got into the habit of painting things a certain way and using the same colors in different combinations. I think I'll enjoy exploring more of the new color range in the new year.

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm

I'd love to see you post more pics of what you paint up here. The sheer quantity is amazing!
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:32 pm

DAPatrick wrote:I'd love to see you post more pics of what you paint up here. The sheer quantity is amazing!

I haven't been posting pics here. I've been posting all the pics on my blog, the link in my signature. I need more followers. The only followers I have are Brad, Dylan, Fred, and myself.

It's part of my resolution to not paint so much and take more pics!

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:47 am

Ron: I have no idea, cause he sucks at spreadsheeting!
Ron... I know he got the Space Hulk stuff finished for Jack, so that's like 22 models or so. I also know he got some Orks done. Beyond that, he's Ron and we love him unconditionally.

Problem is I rarely finish things--or at least, I start way more projects than I finish. I get bored, see?

Right. I think I accomplished:

Converted/painted a combat squad-worth of Iron Snakes w/ shields and pliums.
Converted/painted an Iron Snake Iron-clad Dred with shield and tectonic hammer.

One o' them scout speeders in Iron Snake colors.

22 Gene Stealers for Jack's Popular Space Corridor Game.

6 more custom Orky bikes.

Finished detail on Ork Nob bikers.

Repaired and continued work on scratch-built stompa.

Finished kit-bashed Ork flyer. Mounted it on a custom flying base.

Converted and painted a female paladin of the Raven Queen for a friend of mine.

Added dust, rust, grime detail to Battle Wagon and FW closed-cab trukk.

Kit bashed and painted hull and tracks for an eventual Ork Big Trakk.

Converted two platoons of Khorne/Vrax-flavored IG Renegades.

Painted a renegade Chimera.

Painted: 45 models
Assembled: 51 models (26 were conversions, because I'm insane in the membrane.)
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Discussion Painting and Modeling