Howdy pardners

New to the DorkaMorka Forums? Why not introduce yourself and say, "Hi!"

Howdy pardners

Postby byrobot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Just signed up and wanted to say hello. Currently live in Watertown MA

I grew up on 40k, Blood Bowl and Necromunda. Mostly I'm just looking to play some Blood Bowl though. I've dabbled here and there the past few years with a Java version and some others, but haven't had a real game since the 90s. Hoping to change that!

Skaven were always my guys, so that's probably what I'll stick with.

I'm hoping to play in the league, so I'll head over to that thread next.
Cheers
byrobot

Postby tinfoil » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Welcome to the Boards!
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Hi

Postby Living_Host » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi byrobot,

What Fred said :)

I love Blood Bowl too but don't play too much these days. Maybe we can get a game of 40K in sometime. What army(ies) do you play?

Good gaming,

B
Living_Host

Postby Drool_bucket » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Howdy and welcome!

More meat for the grinder, w00t!

check out a couple of the threads in the BB section that our fearless Commissioner, Lucyth, linked up... it has some great resources regarding the current state of BB and our own online database... which he has to activate you for, btw.

The league is fast approaching, so you may want to get a few warm up games in...

I don't know what you know about us as a gaming club, but here is the 30 second tour.

We were mainly 40K and played out of Danger Planet Games a few years back. DP closed and we relocated to the Fraternal Order of Eagles hall just off Watertown center. Here's a mapquest at the bottom. Note, we have free parking out back on Thursday nights.... www.dorkamorka.com/events
We now get together and still play mostly 40K with a health dose of BB mixed in.

But, one of the nice things about BB is we travel as well... so a lot of coaches get together outside Thursday nights to play.

well, that's about 30 seconds.

Hope to see you at the Eagles.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby byrobot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Thank you all!

I actually live just up the road from the Fraternal Order of Eagles. I had no idea Blood Bowl was happening on my doorstep.

Host - would love to pick up 40k again but I had to sell all my models when I moved to the area from philly. Back in the day I had an Imperial Guard army as well as Tyrranids. Not sure I have it in me to get that involved again - that's always been the appeal of BB to me since you have to maintain a relatively low number of models.

I hope I can get in a couple of practice matches before the league kicks off on the 20th, but I have to actually buy and paint a team in the interim. Hears hoping I can pull it off!

Looking forward to getting in on the action.

-byron
byrobot

Postby Drool_bucket » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:34 pm

If I am around, which I will be next thursday, I have a painted Skaven team you could use for a game...
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:02 am

I also have a Skaven team that you could use for the season.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby byrobot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

Hey - apologies for the tardy response. I was out camping over the weekend.
Thank you both for the offer! I'll definitely be around this Thursday, so if either one of would be willing to loan me a team for a night or two I'd be much obliged.
I just set my team (Squeak and Destroy) to as "Ready" on the league page. 7 Line, 2 Bitzers, 2 Runners, 1 Catcher.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Byron
byrobot

Postby Drool_bucket » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Byron...

as a heads up regarding today's BB... FF is considered a waste to start with on a team, except maybe Halflings. Starting high FF, popular in LRB 3.0 days, has gone away. I would strongly suggest you start with either a 12 player or an apoth instead of the 60K in FF.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:00 pm

I also play skaven and couldn't agree more with Ian - I would pick up an apothecary to save your skin and induce some star players to beef out your line a bit.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby byrobot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Already a rookie mistake! Thanks for the heads up. :-) I didn't realize FF had changed so much.

...back to the drawing board.

Is it still a bad idea to start out with a Rat Ogre? I've done some googling on Skaven Team builds and it seems like everything I come across advises against it based on one of the older iterations of the rulebook.
byrobot

Postby stormboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I might come by later in the evening. But I can't be there until 9 or so.

I have a team that I planned on selling on ebay - but the market is crap (as is my paint job) but if you wanted them for the season they are yours. I really have no use for them.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby byrobot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I appreciate the offer - I actually ordered an unpainted team so I could try my hand at painting again as well. I was always pretty crap at it though so I don't expect stellar results.
byrobot

Postby 92acclude » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 pm

byrobot wrote:I appreciate the offer - I actually ordered an unpainted team so I could try my hand at painting again as well. I was always pretty crap at it though so I don't expect stellar results.

Washes can make everything better.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby Drool_bucket » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Rat Ogres, for their cost, are currently considered one of the worst Big Guys available. Frenzy/Wild Animal/AV8 makes for an unreliable player at best. Then toss in he's one of the most expensive Big Guys and people kinda turn their nose at them.

That said, I just bought one for my Skaven team and can't wait to use the fucker...

But I wouldn't start with him, that's for sure.

I started with 2 Blitzers, 2 Gutter Runners, 2 Throwers, 6 Linemen (12 players total) and 2 RR and an Apoth. I think I would use that build again if only because it gives me an Apoth to save the 6 positiionals and an extra linerat. I have the strict understanding that the team will get broken a bit but the important parts would survive, then I could work on the other 2 Gutter Runners and another TRR to get me up to speed.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Administratum Introductions