First List Scratching - Playing with PLs - Death Guard

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

First List Scratching - Playing with PLs - Death Guard

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 am

Thoughts: Wanted to post a couple of lists I scratched up last night and see what people's thoughts are. I'm looking for commentary on size, amount of units, and if the army "feels right". I know that's subjective as hell, but we'll work with it for now. I'm not looking for "how this army will function". The new mechanics have made things that were powerhouses into lesser beings and things that were weak into greater ones. Nothing seems unkillable in this new world.

How I made these: I literally just started adding stuff until I thought it "looked right". Then I added up both lists and they were in the 139pts area. I added a bit to bring them as close to 150 as I could since it's a nice round number. Assume every unit has all the options it can legally have at the PL that's listed for it. One thing I discovered that I'm not a fan of... Unit numbers are a bit "unflexible" using PLs.

Death Guard Units - 150/150PL list
HQ1 - Typhus (9)
HQ2 - Malignant Plaguecaster (6)
HQ3 - Malignant Plaguecaster (6)
TR1 - Poxwalkers (3)
TR2 - Poxwalkers (3)
TR3 - Poxwalkers (3)
TR4 - 10 Plaguemarines (12)
TR5 - 10 Plaguemarines (12)
EL1 - Noxious Blightbringer (4)
FA1 - Foetid Blight Drone (10)
FA2 - Foetid Blight Drone (10)
FA3 - Foetid Blight Drone (10)
FA4 - 5 Nurgle Spawn (10)
DT1 - Rhino (4)
DT2 - Rhino (4)

Not Death Guard
HQ4 - Great Unclean One (12)
TR6 - 10 Plaguebearers (5)
TR7 - 10 Plaguebearers (5)
TR8 - 10 Plaguebearers (5)
TR9 - 3 Nurglings (3)
FA5 - 3 Plaguedrones (7)
FA6 - 3 Plaguedrones (7)

Breakdown:
HQ - 4
Troops - 9
Elites - 1
Fast Attack - 6
Heavy - 0
Fliers - 0
Lords - 0

Command: 7
Base - 3
Battalion Detachment +3
Outrider Detachment +1

Thoughts: A "horde" of shamblers backed up by a surprising amount of fast units to distract from the walking disease factories. According to a few posts on the web, 75PL is roughly 1200 points. Some say 50pts per 1000. The list above is probably 2200ish in the old format. There's a bit of point-flation overall in this edition from what I can tell, but the above list would make for a solid game with lots of fun stuff. Also, Death Guard can't have Terminators... WTF. You can take normal Heretic Astartes Nurgle Terminators, but then they aren't Death Guard and aren't getting the Death Guard special rules. The Daemons don't get them either, but I figure it's easier to differentiate daemons than it is to constantly point out who is a Death Guard and who isn't.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: First List Scratching - Playing with PLs - Death Guard

Postby mace_ace » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:35 am

It's hard for me to really give any constructive feedback on this list since I a) haven't played DG yet, and b) haven't really gone over the rules for them. Given that there are duplicate units, but no wargear shown I'm also really not sure how to respond. It is troops heavy which seems very fluffy.

That said it will be interesting to see how this plays. As for the terminators question the DG codex will be released after the Space Marine Codex in July. yeah, a whole codex for just one legion. This should be interesting.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:23 pm

The details aren't listed for each unit because there's no real point... the cost is included... so it'll really come down to "What do I have in my army collection"... the options for a Plague Marine squad haven't really changed... you get a couple of special weapons and the SGT gets close combat options. The unit gets a banner... what will appear on the table is really just a question of "Does Brad have two sgts with fists or one with a fist and one with a plague sword" sort of thing. I think you have to look at it on the side of "Expect the most powerful".

There's no difference in 10 Plague Marines with Bolters and 10 Plague Marines with 8 Bolters, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Powerfist, an Icon of PooPooPower, and a Melta Bomb from a PL perspective. This seems really really weird at first glance till you realize that you were going to see all that shit anyway and in "real points" land it might have only varied by 5-10pts.

The whole point of PL values (in my humble opinion) is to free you from the minutia of "this unit has 2 melta guns, and this one has 1 melta and 1 flamer and a broken guy who used to have a heavy bolter but now it's kind of been green stuffed into a warp spewing thing that I use for a counts as banner".

Also some units don't really have options... Poxwalkers, Plaguebearers, Spawn, Drones, etc. They're pretty much "AS IS" overall. It seems like from a PL perspective all that really matters is "how many are in the unit".
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Does it really have 20 separate units? That seems like a lot. I'm used to 6-12 for 40k; does the new game play a lot faster on a per-unit basis?

- Alex
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique