Black Templars Pod List

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Black Templars Pod List

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I've been trying to find a good identity for my Black Templars that isn't just another version of my Crimson Swords Marines in black and white armor. To that end I've been tinkering with a Drop Pod list for them... Figured I'd post it here and see the thoughts...

The theme being a Pod assault force really limits the unit choices, and points out how completely annoying it is that the new Centurion Suits can't Deep Strike or take a pod... :(

Templar Tantrum - 1999pts total

HQ 1 - Captain - 165pts
- Artificer Armor, Storm Shield, Teeth of Terra, Melta Bombs, Warlord

HQ 2 - Chaplain - 95pts
- Crozius Arcanum, BPistol, Melta Bombs

Troop 1 - Crusader Squad - 228pts (Captain rides here)
- 6 Marines, 2 Neophytes, 1 Sword Brother - Melta, Fist, PAxe - Drop Pod w/ Beacon

Troop 2 - Crusader Squad - 228pts (Chaplain rides here)
- 6 Marines, 2 Neophytes, 1 Sword Brother - Melta, Fist, PMaul - Drop Pod w/ Beacon

Troop 3 - Crusader Squad - 237pts
- 7 Marines, 2 Neophytes, 1 Sword Brother - Gravgun, Fist, PAxe - Drop Pod

Troop 4 - Tactical Squad - 215pts
- 9 Marines, 1 Sgt - Storm Bolter, Melta Bombs, Missile, Plasma Gun - Drop Pod

Elite 1 - Terminator Assault squad
- 5 Assault Terminators with Hammers and Gongs

Elite 2 - Sternguard Veteran Squad - 261pts
- 8 Sternguard - 4 Combi-Meltas - Drop Pod

Elite 3 - Dreadnought - 175pts
- Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod w/ Beacon

Elite 4 - Dreadnought - 170pts
- TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Drop Pod

Seven Pods total. Four in the first wave of which three have beacons. The fourth pod will probably be the Sternguard who will probably be zipping in on a specific target to burn it down with 2+ bolter shells.

Wave two consists of one "far objective dropper" in the LC/ML Dread, and a "mid range" objective dropper in the Tac Squad. The Terminators are wave two as well and they'll be using the pods beacons. Three should give me a good spot to drop in and get some hammer time going...

This is a two detachment list, which is why I've got 4 Elite's choices. It's a Forged in Battle list, so all the troops will get Objective Secured and so will their pods. That's eight troop units, which could be nine if I Combat Squad the Tacticals when they land. If it's not a kill point game, that'll probably be happening. :)

Thoughts?
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Black Templars Pod List

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Could you get some combi weapons on the characters to add some more punch? Also what about some death company with heavy flamers deep striking in?
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:31 pm

"Black Templars"
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:"Black Templars"

I don't have the codex and I guess I don't know what they can take as options.

This list just reminds me too much of drop pod wolf lists I have seen, only it comes up WAY short in terms of what they can take iland strength of the first turn drop. They are running 10 man squads that can split on landing. You can't do that because you want the HQs to plug in there. Can you take a shield eternal with Templar? I would rock one of those for sure. Also I think if the Sternguard squad took flamers and heavy flamers it might be a good idea.

I donno, make the same sort of list using the wolf codex and see if you still like this list. If you do, go for it. If not, I'd rework it. I can totally see a multi-land raider list working in 7th with the changes to the vehicle damage chart
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:07 am

I'm not a hundred percent convinced a Land Raider list can really perform well... I've always liked the concept, but the execution always seemed lacking... Eventually you have to get out of those Land Raiders... That being said, here's a dual LRC Templar List...

HQ1 - Chapter Master - 200pts
- Power Axe, Shield Eternal, Melta Bombs, Warlord

HQ2 - Chaplain - 120pts
- Terminator Armor, Crozius, Storm Bolter, Auspex

Troop 1 - Crusader Squad - 485pts (Chapter Master rides here)
- 9 Marines, 3 Neophytes, 1 Sword Brother, PAxe, PFist, Melta, LRCrusader w/ MMelta

Troop 2 - Tactical Squad - 210pts
- Plasma, Missile, Rhino w/ Blade

Troop 3 - Scout Squad
- 5 Scouts, Bolters, Heavy Bolter, LSStorm w/ MMelta

Elite 1 - Centurion Assault Squad - 475pts (Chaplain rides here)
- 3 Centurions, Frag Assault, Melta Guns, OmniScope, LRCrusader w/ MMelta

Elite 2 - Legion of the Damned - 195pts
- 7 Legionairres, Melta, MMelta

Heavy 1 - Predator - 95pts
- Auto Cannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Heavy 2 - Predator - 95pts
- Auto Cannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:37 am

Land raiders are your friends. Stormravens too. You do have to get out eventually, but when you do you are assaulting, unless you get destroyed before delivery.

LRC probably more fluffy than drop pods for BTs as well.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am

I thought the book on BTs was "ride around in big tanks, get out, get shot, run toward enemy, repeat until something dies".

How does drop podding fit into that? do you still get the 'run toward enemy' boost when you get out of the pods?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Zhent » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 pm

I would swap the Sternguard for a squad [maybe two if you can fit it] of Legion of the Damned. They are incredibly durable and with a couple of ablative marines, can likely survive past the turn they come down and take out another tank - you also get the additional range of the multi-melta.
Zhent

Postby DAPatrick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:04 am

Zhent wrote:I would swap the Sternguard for a squad [maybe two if you can fit it] of Legion of the Damned. They are incredibly durable and with a couple of ablative marines, can likely survive past the turn they come down and take out another tank - you also get the additional range of the multi-melta.

Lol. I wrote death company above but totally mean legion of the damned. I think with heavy flamers it would be a good addition if you are staying with the pod list.
DAPatrick

Postby RobPro » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 am

I like multimelta/heavy flamer on the dreds. With the change to the damage chart, you're gonna want something that more consistently pops vehicles than a lascannon. You don't want someone to be safe in a land raider and get a charge off on your dudeplars, you want to make them get out so you can charge.
RobPro

Postby TheRhino » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 am

How are you arming your grunts in the Crusader squads? The limited tests I did with Templars showed that bolter suck major ass for them. I was dying for some pistol/chainsword bubs instead of all my bolters (I was using my Ultramarines models to test things out).

Also, Teeth of Terra = win.
TheRhino

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 am

The Crusaders and Neophytes would be CCW/BP for sure.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby TheRhino » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:The Crusaders and Neophytes would be CCW/BP for sure.

Probably best.
One very minor point on the Tac Squad. You can't split the squad on landing anymore :(. You have to declare who's combat squadded and where during your deployment, even if they're going into reserves.
TheRhino

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm

That's not a huge issue... I'd determine that at the start of the game anyway... "On landing" is just an imprecise way of saying "when deployed".
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique