Possibly sucky 2000pt Khorne List...

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Possibly sucky 2000pt Khorne List...

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Ok... I'm about Slaaneshed out for a bit, so I thought I'd switch back to the Khorne Samurai army... the only issue is that no list has really been striking my fancy. So I sat down tonight and sort of banged one out that I actually like...

Khorne feels very much like a bunch of insane bloodthirsty berzerkers rushing forward to chop your headoff.

This is a totally different army feel than my slaanesh which were a bunch of insane perverted degenerates rushing forward to chop your balls off while listening to loud music.

Now that it's sorted that it's a completely different army, here's the list... Thoughts, comments, and snide commentary will be appreciated.

Oh, and I tried for Sacred numbers as much as possible...

HQ - Kharn the Betrayer (160pts) (because I have the FW model and he's awesome)

Troops 1 - 8 Khorne Berzerkers (218pts)
Various Chainaxes, PowerAxes, Axey Axes, etc

Troops 2 - 8 Khorne Berzerkers (213pts)
Totally different loadout that is only somewhat similar

Troop 3 - 16 Cultists w/ Flamer, and Boss Cultist (79pts)

Troop 4 - 16 Cultists w/ Flamer, and Boss Cultist (79pts)

Elite 1 - Helbrute w/ Double Fists and a Heavy Flamer (115pts) (HELCULT Formation)

Fast 1 - 4 Chaos Spawn w/ Mark of Khorne (128pts)

Fast 2 - 4 Chaos Spawn w/ Mark of Khorne (128pts)

Fast 3 - 8 Khornate Bikers (261pts)
2 Melta, Champ w/ Axe, Bombs, Gift of Mutation, Fearless Banner

Heavy 1 - Gorefeaster - Spined Beast of Chaos (160pts)
Daemon of Khorne, Fleet, Eternally Angry (like Ron, except moderately uglier)

Allies

HQ 1 - Harold of Khorne (130pts)
Jugger, some gifts, a candy bar, but works well with others

Troop 1 - 16 Bloodletters of Khorne (165pts)

Fast 1 - 10 KhorneDogs of Khorne
Teeth, Claws, signed copy of Sarah McGlaughlin's "Humane Society Commercial Track"

4 Semi fast things... Bikes, WoofWoofs, Spawn and Gorefeaster... these run across and smack things. While the smack things gang is smacking things, the slower smackthings gang is running forward to smack things. The plan is to continue to smack things and win the game.

The real plan is to convert a bunch of Samurai looking dudes, theme up the army, and look good doing it. And we'll probably lose... a lot... Khorne help us if the enemy fields a tank. Or a flyer. Or a flying tank. Or anything psychic. Or anything with a points value that can shoot.

Aside from that... thoughts?
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Possibly sucky 2000pt Khorne List...

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:08 pm

I think that a Herald for an allied HQ is a cheap and good way to get a compulsory unit purchased and out of the way. In my 1500 point Khorne list I use a Herald with mark of khorne on a juggernaut to get some bloodcrushers, bloodletters and hounds. In 1750 and 1850 I would forget the Herald and field a Bloodthirster.

Do your cultists have close combat weapons and pistols? Is there a way to get them up to 20 man squads so you can get 2 heavy flamers which gives you 2-6 defensive fire hits and a little more flamer template coverage on big units if you actually get the charge.

Helbrute, hell yes. I would prefer a multi melta on him so he's threatening dreadnoughts and heavier vehicles as he advances. This will probably be a point sink against most armies but it's fluffy as hell to keep him close combat oriented.

Spawn. Why not? They're really good in the current codex. Spined Beast I have no idea about but assume it's mean in close.

Bloodletters. Maybe 2 squads of 10, but 16 is the proper number although it's not doing anything for you tactically.

Everything else is great. If you remember we talked about CSM with the mark of khorne and icon of wrath is almost as good as Berzerkers. Then they can grab some much needed special weapons like meltaguns.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Oh, and footslogging it like that, delivering all that khorne rage is your biggest problem. That and vehicles as you say.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tucara » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:28 pm

It's going to take some effort to get across the board before any shooty army takes a big chunk out of your units. I've peppered my side of the table with dead Berserkers too many times. The bikers will help but, I think the Flesh Hounds are a good opportunity to distract, since if you let them into CC they will fuck some shit up.

I would suggest trying to get Karanak (120 pts) into the allies instead of the herald. His Brass Collar of Blood Vengeance (cause perils on ANY double rolled in a psychic test for psyker within 12") is a huge boost for 7th. If you drop bullet catchers, sorry I mean bloodletters, down to the minimum unit size, this + Karanak gets you 75 pts, nearly 5 more flesh hounds. You could then take a unit of 8 and then one of 7+karnak. Both with scout puts you in position for a good turn 2 charge and/or successfully soaking up a large number of wounds.
tucara

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I was actually looking at Karanak last night as I hadn't realized he was a herald. The issue comes down to the Berzerkers and the Bloodletters... both suck really.

On the Bloodletters... the problem with a squad of 10 is they're not really good at anything. Lower Init and base attacks than a Daemonette for more points in exchange for FC and AP3... but that's no consolation when getting hammered by Bolter fire. The lack of any kind of shooting attack means they're even bad at objective sitting...

Obviously I could go unbound and dump them completely, but I like to try and stay with a Battle Forged list and save the Unbound for more "cool concept" lists.

As for the Zerkers... I may swap them out for MoK Marines... that just seems to "ding" the theme concept a bit, though they are way more productive for their price...

Chaos desperately needs a LR Crusader equivalent...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:24 am

Thunderjaw wrote:Chaos desperately needs a LR Crusader equivalent...

Absolutely. All those heresy pre-landraider variants and no kit-bashed variant for CSM of the 41st millennium. I really like a squad of Berzerkers in a land raider. It really solves the delivery issue at the cost of a LR. Put Kharn in there.

An alternative for perhaps a second filled LR is you could put Fabius Bile in the LR with a CSM squad with MoK and icon. So the marines are modified. Only problem with that is Fabius Bile doesn't have a power weapon iirc.

The Karanak + Hounds idea seems pretty cool, and you could take advantage of it, but every demon unit you take you're taking less berzerkers and marked marines and it becomes just a demon army.

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:26 am

A couple of thoughts:
If you did field both 'zerkers and Khorne-marked marines, you might think of the latter as something like aspirants -- Astartes who have started down the path towards true 'zerker-hood, but not yet gotten there.
Or, a slightly different twist, the 'zerkers are the the World Eaters Astartes, the dudes with the Red Nails. And the others come from renegade war bands, now pledging themselves to Khorne's service.

I like the narrative possibilities in the list. If you have enough fast stuff to cross the table and tie shit up, the slower components should be able to get places relatively unmolested.
At least in theory. This will take some play-testing.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique