First Attempt at the new Orks

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

First Attempt at the new Orks

Postby stormboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 pm

I am leaning towards a Badmoon Mek army. This would allow me to create a KKF bubble to protect the infantry and hopefully put down enough lead to wipe out most opposition. Drawbacks, slow with little assault power (outside of the Meganobs)

BIg Mek with Megaarmor and KFF (Warlord)
Big Mek with KFF
2x 30 Mob of Orks with Shootas
20 Grots with 2 runtherders
5 Meganobs with battlewagon (Boss nob gets a bosspole - 2 kombi skorchas) (battlewagon w grots, deffrolla, extra armor, big shoota)
3 Deffcoptas with rokkits - 1 bomb 1 buzzsaw
3 Kannons with 12 grots and 3 ammo runts
10 lootas and 1 mek
Morkanaught with KFF, extra armor and grot riggers

This comes in at 1850
I have a couple units that can get across the board (Meganobs in Wagon and DeffKoptas) - I have some backfield objective holding units (Kannons and Lootas) and I have a few units that can footslog to the middle of the table. The KFF's keep a solid bubble against incoming fire and if the Morkanaught is lucky, he can hit something with his plasma death ray. One Mek stays in the back field protecting the lootas and kannons and the Warlord Mek joins a mob of shoota boys... or joins the Mega nobs. Not certain yet.

An alternate build would be drop the gretchin and second Mek and add a painboy to grant FNP to a unit and add a smaller unit of boys. I could even drop the Deffkoptas and add in Grot tanks again.

Thoughts?
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Re: First Attempt at the new Orks

Postby tucara » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:41 pm

How about another Mek to ride in the Morkanaut to keep fixing weapons and HP as you move along? I think the pain-boy would certainly help the Meganob unit and is worth the 50 pts.
tucara

Postby stormboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:29 pm

It would be easy to drop the second big Mek and pick up a regular Mek (no slot) and a painboy. The Mek can stay in the Mokanaut and the painboy can jump into a squad. I kind if like it...
stormboy

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:56 pm

20 Grots with 2 runtherders

My experience with grots is that you automatically hand your opponent a victory point by putting the little fuckheads on the dang table. If they get shot they run, and if they get assaulted they immediately lose and get run down. You think they're a cheap home objective holder, but they don't have enough testicular fortitude to do the job.

3 Deffcoptas with rokkits - 1 bomb 1 buzzsaw

Solid unit, one of the few dependable armor killers in Ork lists; I alternate between deffkoptas and Grot tanks. I always end up Outflanking with them, usually to kill tanks from the rear with the TL rokkits. The buzzsaw is pricy, but sometimes worth it in the assault if the rokkits don't work. The bomb, I don't know about. Deffcoptas don't usually live long in any role, so I never pay the pts to hang a big bomm on one of them. I think you either go with a buzzsaw OR a bomb. Don't count on them to be much more than a suicide squad.

Looks like a big, burly list. Lots of stuff the enemy has to shoot at; target saturation should work out. That should make up for the not-great mobility...
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby stormboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:22 pm

So I have thought about this list, based on Dylan's thread and my new info about combining.

This list comes in at 1850. Big Mek would be the Warlord and has hired Badrukk's Freebootas to fight for scrap. Badrukk's detachment has a second bigmek with KFF - but I think I could drop that and add in a battery of Kannons or few Deffkoptas. Thoughts?
Big mek
Mega Armor
KFF
Grot Oiler
Bosspole
Gitfinda
Pain boy
Grot Orderly
Mek
Grot Oiler
20 Shoota boys
2 Big Shoota
Shoota
Boss Nob
Nob/Bosspole
21 Slugga Boys
Boss Nob
Nob/Bosspole
Nob/Klaw
Morkanaut
KFF
Grot Riggers
Extra Armor

Kaptain Badrukk
3 Ammo Runts
Big Mek
KFF
Klaw
30 Shoota boys
Shootas
3 Big Shootas
Boss Nob
Nob/Klaw
Nob/Bosspole
20 Shoota Boys
2 Big Shoota
Shoota
Boss Nob
Nob/Klaw
Nob/Bosspole
5 Flashgits
5 Ammo Runts
Battlewagon
BW/KillKannon
BW/Deffrolla
Grot Riggers
Extra Armor
stormboy

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Confused; are there three Battlewagons, or one?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby stormboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Just one!

When I posted this the items for each squad were tabbed in... Hmmm looks like I need an edit for clarity.
stormboy

Postby goblin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:22 pm

i feel like three kffs is overkill. i think most games, with good positioning you should be able to cover the vast majority of your forces with the 5+ invul with just two. if you bring the mega armor one and the morkanaut one they should be sufficiently hard to kill that you can keep the save up for the first 2-3 turns (all you really need to get into assault). i'd consider getting a warboss with the finkin cap to get three rolls on the strategic warlord table to try to get master of ambush (three non vehicle infiltrate). infiltrating 21 slugga boys and 50 shoota boys with 5+ invuls vs. shooting should put a ton of pressure on your opponent :) and it lets you call a waaagh! which is pretty cool.
goblin

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 pm

i feel like three kffs is overkill. i think most games, with good positioning you should be able to cover the vast majority of your forces with the 5+ invul with just two.

That's easier to say than to do. Have you tried it?

The new KFF rule isn't as forgiving. Covering "the majority of your force" with 2 KFFs leaves you clumped up for pie plates, and worse, your units clog up and you impede your own advance.

I'm aware that ork players seem to be able to bitch about most everything... but then, what 40K player doesn't bitch about his Codex?

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Ron wrote:but then, what 40K player doesn't bitch about his Codex?

Wolf players... but that might totally change in a couple of weeks....
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby goblin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:13 pm

That's easier to say than to do. Have you tried it?

yup, i play venomthropes (exactly the same 6" bubble, just a different effect) in literally every nids army i field :) i find that one is typically enough because most of my armies are made up primarily of monsters, then many of them take off on the first turn. the thing to keep in mind with these 6" bubbles, is that they only have to touch one model in a unit to count. unless your opponent has lots of fliers and can perfectly angle the shots to pick the guys under the bubble first, you can keep that unit in the bubble easily. there should be no issues with clumped models, just several unit edges converging on the same model. the other thing is that because the model is much bigger, the morkanaut's bubble actually has a significantly larger footprint than that of a big mek.

think about it this way, if your kff or morkanaut is in the center of a mini formation, it should be able to get the bubble on one unit on either side, right? you have four large units of orks, which means one kff per two units should cover them. that leaves your extra units like the flashgits in the wagon which should be able to position themselves in the space in front of or behind the model with the kff. for the big mek you can have him join one of the units to either of his sides so he has something to absorb wounds, but stay to one side so that he's within 6" of the other squad. as a general rule it's fairly safe to assume that unless you're playing an all slogging horde (and even then, you should be able to do it by squeezing one squad in a ~8-10" wide column between two others), one kff should cover at least three units without forcing you to pack them in too tight. the only issue becomes slogging through terrain (or trying to avoid it) while keeping the bubble on, but with a large number of boyz, slogging through terrain is an issue anyway.
goblin

Postby stormboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 pm

goblin wrote:. the thing to keep in mind with these 6" bubbles, is that they only have to touch one model in a unit to count.

Actually they removed the "unit" wording - it now clearly states that ever "model" with 6 inches gains the save. Orks took that as a pretty big hit - but who knows.

I am actually running a slightly different list tonight for a battle report with Fred. I am going to use the Ork Horde Datasheet that allows 3 HQ's and needs 4 troops. Then add in some heavies and such. It has 2 KFF and we will see what it does...
stormboy

Postby goblin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:45 pm

hmmm i don't recall that change, i'll have to go back and check. honestly, that makes the kff a pretty massive points sink at 50pt (and you have to bring them on a big mek, which is kind of a sub par hq especially in a vehicle light list). unless you're using it to cover transports, i might not take any at all :\
goblin

Postby goblin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:57 pm

the internet confirms (i still reserve judgement for book in hand, but multiple sources say it, so it's likely true) model not unit. honestly, at 90pt min (40 for the big mel 50 for the kff) the only way i see myself bringing that choice is if it's plopped in the middle of a high point unit like nobz or flashgits or something. if you consider a 5+ invul like having 1/3 more models in the unit it covers (and it isn't that good because it only makes them 1/3 less likely to die, and doesn't increase damage output by 1/3) then you need one of these guys sitting in a 270+ point unit to be worth it (otherwise, you might as well just spend the points on more models!). not to mention the opportunity cost of not bringing a warboss (waagh! and possibly the three rolls on strategic) or a painboy (if you're only affecting one unit anyway, the 5+ fnp is largely the same as the 5+ invul and you end up paying half the points for the choice in total).

i think on a morkanaut it's still pretty good since the footprint is so much bigger, and a big mek on a bike should have the speed to ride with transports (giving multiple battlewagons the 5++ is sweet).
goblin

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique