1850 Orks - unbound

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

1850 Orks - unbound

Postby 92acclude » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Warboss, mega armor, Kombi skorcha, attack squig, boss pole, cyborg, da lucky stikks

Big Mek, KFF, eavy armor, da fixer upper, oiler

Painboy, orderly

Weirdboy, level 2

3 MANz, boss pole, Kombi skorcha

-battle wagon, riggers, deff rolla

30 boyz, 3 rokkits, nob, PK, boss pole

30 boyz, 3 BS, nob, big choppa, boss pole

20 boyz, shootas, 2BS, nob, TL shoota, boss pole

Dread, big shootas, riggers

Dread, rokkits, riggers

Dread, 2 PKs, riggers, armor plates

3 Kanz, grotzookas, riggers

Looted wagon, kill Kannon, big shoota, ard case, riggers
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 63
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Re: 1850 Orks - unbound

Postby DAPatrick » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't see why this is unbound. Couldn't you make this same list allying with yourself? One more troop slot and I think you could make this with combined arms. (I don't have ork codex, but it looks ok)
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby 92acclude » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 pm

DAPatrick wrote:I don't see why this is unbound. Couldn't you make this same list allying with yourself? One more troop slot and I think you could make this with combined arms. (I don't have ork codex, but it looks ok)

Oh... 2 detachments... That'd be smart, huh?

92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby Thunderjaw » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:49 pm

You'd need another troop to take a second normal detachment... otherwise it would have to be an allied detachment... See my comments on troops for a solution.

As for the list...

- I'd drop the armor plates on the 2PK Dread... it's only going to help you on penetrating hits, and even then only if you get a crew stunned... so less than 16% of the time you're hit... There's probably a better place to spend these points...

- The battlewagon doesn't have enough ass coming out it... 3 MANz and a boss and possibly a painboy just doesn't have enough hitting power. At that size they become a throwaway unit that's basically used as disruption. If you're going for disruption, I'd give that Wagon a Wreckin Ball and a Boarding Plank so it can disrupt when it gets stuck in. Survivability is going to be tough... it's not difficult to get side shots on a single Battlewagon simply due to the foot print. It's even easier when it's in the middle of the enemy lines.

- Troops - 3 squads. Assuming you get a turn 2 charge (fairly realistic), and assuming you don't break from shooting (coin flip), you're going to see significant erosion of force projection on these units. Realistically the 2 30's will be your combat frontage with the 20 being your rear echelon objective sitter. It takes 5 casualties to force that objective sitter to either run away or kill more of itself. Not much you can do about it, but you're probably much better off splitting that 20 into 2 10's and camping them on the same objective. Harder to break them off and make them run under non barrage firepower, and you'll get the same amount of firepower out of them. That'll also solve your Force Org issue.

I'm coming around to the opinion that 30 man Ork squads are tactically unsound in this edition. 3 10 man squads are harder to break and more durable under fire than a 30 man, if for no other reason than each squad provides cover to the one behind it, and the squad boundaries provide "fire breaks" for attrition. Shoot at 3x10 squads and inflict 8 casualties, and even a failed break check means only one squad of 2 remaining orks is running. 20 are still going forward. That 30 man squad means 22 are running.

Apparently Orks are now WW2 Russians...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby 92acclude » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:13 am

Thunderjaw wrote:You'd need another troop to take a second normal detachment... otherwise it would have to be an allied detachment... See my comments on troops for a solution.

As for the list...

- I'd drop the armor plates on the 2PK Dread... it's only going to help you on penetrating hits, and even then only if you get a crew stunned... so less than 16% of the time you're hit... There's probably a better place to spend these points...

- The battlewagon doesn't have enough ass coming out it... 3 MANz and a boss and possibly a painboy just doesn't have enough hitting power. At that size they become a throwaway unit that's basically used as disruption. If you're going for disruption, I'd give that Wagon a Wreckin Ball and a Boarding Plank so it can disrupt when it gets stuck in. Survivability is going to be tough... it's not difficult to get side shots on a single Battlewagon simply due to the foot print. It's even easier when it's in the middle of the enemy lines.

- Troops - 3 squads. Assuming you get a turn 2 charge (fairly realistic), and assuming you don't break from shooting (coin flip), you're going to see significant erosion of force projection on these units. Realistically the 2 30's will be your combat frontage with the 20 being your rear echelon objective sitter. It takes 5 casualties to force that objective sitter to either run away or kill more of itself. Not much you can do about it, but you're probably much better off splitting that 20 into 2 10's and camping them on the same objective. Harder to break them off and make them run under non barrage firepower, and you'll get the same amount of firepower out of them. That'll also solve your Force Org issue.

I'm coming around to the opinion that 30 man Ork squads are tactically unsound in this edition. 3 10 man squads are harder to break and more durable under fire than a 30 man, if for no other reason than each squad provides cover to the one behind it, and the squad boundaries provide "fire breaks" for attrition. Shoot at 3x10 squads and inflict 8 casualties, and even a failed break check means only one squad of 2 remaining orks is running. 20 are still going forward. That 30 man squad means 22 are running.

Apparently Orks are now WW2 Russians...

You're making a lot of sense here... It sounds crazy, but maybe the big boyz units of yore just won't work...

And with the alt force org of 9 troops, it's feasible.

92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby stormboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

I am going to hijack Dylan's thread here with a question:

Detachments - I can take a primary force of orks and a secondary force of orks? Correct?

I just need to include at least 1HQ and 2 Troops for each detatchment? Can someone explain this to me?
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes, that's absolutely correct... you can technically take as many of each Force Org as you want, provided you meet the minimums...

So if you've already got 2 HQ's and 4 Troops, you've met the dual detachment requirements and can then take extras of everything else. The only other requirement is that you need to note what's in each detachment as some rules only affect "models in the character's detachment".
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:01 pm

So can a big Mek from one detachment join a squad from another detachment?
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Yes.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby goblin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm coming around to the opinion that 30 man Ork squads are tactically unsound in this edition.

the only time i really see the contrary being true is if you're bringing a warboss with the finkin cap. in that case you're aiming for master of ambush (basically a 50/50 with 3 rolls on the table) and in that case you actually want the bigger units because it means you're putting a larger number of orks right in your opponent's grill.

the other thing that bringing a double combined arms does for you is let you double dip on the awesome ork hqs (so like, boss w/ finkin cap, mega armour + lucky stick boss, mek with kff, painboy).
goblin

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique