Battle for Cirillo VI's Second Moon

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Battle for Cirillo VI's Second Moon

Postby stormboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Cirillo Prime is an isolated system, long forgotten by the Imperium due to its limited resources and daft population. Shortly before the Great Crusade came grinding to a halt by the betrayal of Horus, a small Mechanicum exploration fleet discovered some precious technology in the ruins of an old moon.

Thus, Moon II of Cirillo VI sparked the interest of someone somewhere. This unremarkable moon, in an unremarkable system, became a hotspot for the Mechanicum, who built several forges in order to explore the moon deeper and uncover its secrets.

Alas, the Horus Heresy interfered and before Moon II revealed many of its secrets the Mechanicum forces were scattered.

As the centuries passed, Rogue Traders discovered the system and put the inhabitants to work and gathered a tithe for the Imperium. The Cirillo Prime System became a refueling/resupply stop for vessels moving to and fro. The system remained largely unremarkable.
So when Waagh Grimdakka arrived on the edge of the system the populace was taken by surprise. Planetary Defense Forces were raised, defenses built, aide summoned. Waagh Grimdakka cared not for such things and he hit the system with the force of a supernova. It was the most remarkable thing that had happened to the system.

As Waagh Grimdakka pushed deeper into the system, one of his Big Mek’s, Gunta Orkstyn, took a liking to Moon II of Cirillo VI. The abandoned forges lit a spark in his brain and visions of clanking monstrosities and warp teleportas filled his mind. He took a small force and began the process of clearing away the defenses left behind millennia past. The old automated defense systems did not work perfectly, but did enough damage that Gunta sent for some reinforcements after the first forge had come under his control.
Gunta sent his forces forward to the next forge, keeping a few grots and boys around “in case” and set about establishing his new work area.

The trouble for Gunta began when a few of his grots disappeared. Things really went wild when the Freebootas arrived and their Weirdboy let loose a Waagh onslaught that left many with headaches and bleeding ears.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Re: Battle for Cirillo VI's Second Moon

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Sounds like this system is in dire need of some Wolves... Do I smell a Campaign?
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 pm

A raw-throated chorus sang the summoning into being, the singers’ scoured eye-sockets glowing palely as the ragged incantation took hold. Behind them heralds bent to their part of the sacred work, murmuring incoherently as they planted eyeballs like plant bulbs in the ship’s opened instrument panels, braiding the thin trails of optic nerve with long, many-jointed fingers to exposed wire and circuitry.

Cilia of seeing coiled like tiny vines down into the ship’s auger array.

Some dim vestige of the vessel’s ancient machine spirit stirred and groaned at this latest violation—but only faintly. Awareness of what she had once been had splintered and shattered long, long ago. (What had she been called, in whose service? The mortals who had built and baptized her in all their Imperial vainglory, what name had they put to her? Lost. Gone. Utterly unrecoverable.)

The process of possession filtered through the ship’s scanner and sensor systems, reached her dormant logicae enginery, paused briefly at that threshold, then leached more deeply inward, uncoupling synapses, unspooling algorithms as it went, coaxing into being a sentience that was altogether antithetical to anything like logic—an enginery of anti-logic.

An other was laying claim. A Chthonic creature, predatory, impossibly old, impenetrably dark.

Ensnared now, the ship entered the final throes of possession. The temperature on the bridge dropped sharply, crystalline hoar frost spreading across the consoles that ringed the chamber. Vox coms clicked on, buzzing with static that rose rapidly in volume to become a cacophonous staccato of screams, cries, sobbing, shrieking, laughter, babble. Sensor readouts began spitting out impossible numbers that aligned in arcane numerologies. Screens paneling the walls flickered to life and filled with random images—faces, battles, blue fire, howling crowds, cataclysmic fires, fields of ruin—scenes blinking from one to another in dizzying, maddening strobes.

The daemon’s servants, those few heralds and horrors on the bridge who had survived the seismic psychic upheaval of summoning, fell to their knees, sputtering insanities.

And then it was done. What had been cancerous became cortex and command. E’Asu E’Aglala, Lord of Change, resumed material manifestation.

With a shudder the ship engines fired awake. Outside, in the arctic roil of the void, portals unshuttered along the hull of the ship-become-deamon, opening baleful eyes with irises of blazing yellow that rolled and glared and squinted outward. Bleating and baying, shrieking and sighing, the daemon peered out onto the vast, labyrinthine fields of prospect and possibility now opening before his progeny. Where would the Harrowed visit itself next?

His Host was weak, the daemon knew, and in urgent need of succor. New vessels, new nourishment, would be required to sustain material manifestation. And soon.

Where, then?

It peered and pondered, toying with notions, weighing potential projects.

On a hive world several sectors away: a ruling house infected generations before with incest-bred insanity, now ripe for exploitation….

On a forge world farther on: mutinous murder cults brewing insurgency in the name of what they naively called anarchy….

On an orbital station nearly engulfed by surging warp storms: fear reaching the ripe point of despair and desperation….

In a cloistered monastery within the rotted heart of the Imperium itself: doubt beginning to gnaw in the mind of an exquisitely-placed scribe….

So many seeds planted. So many future games to be played.

None of them quite ready to bear fruit yet. None of them attuned to this particular point of inflection.

No, what the Harrowed needed at this juncture was replenishment. Renewal, reinforcement before moving again on the Imperium.

And then a memory slipped into place and a likelier prospect glowed to life like a beacon on the path. There, on the fringes: a moon. Once an outpost. A distant station where dark magi—servants the creature dimly remembered pacting into service millennia ago—had forged woe engines fired with the bound wrath of a minor daemon clan. Buried now, their makers long forgotten, the daemons still pinned to their iron cages. Waiting to be tapped. Just the thing.

The creature scryed for the place, feeling its way through winding warp paths. Until one of the screens on board the bridge found and focused lens on the prospect.

Cirillo VI, the Imperials had named it. The second moon a pale, lucent satellite lurching in erratic and decaying orbit.

The place was swarming with feral Xenos warriors, their crude warp-workers jabbing and jabbering at the Empyrium like boys dropping stones down a well. Yes, just the thing.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 am

Jack and I have been planning for a few weeks now to stage a battle and capture the thing in a full-on, old fashioned battle report. Last Thursday hostilities commenced.

We played 1850 point lists, and rolled up the Escalation scenario in the rule book's Maelstrom of War menu.

What I brought, and why
I fielded a daemons list with an allied formation:
E’Asu E’Aglala, Lord of Change, psy 3, Staff of Tzeentch, greater reward. (I rolled Death Incarnate on the Daemon Warlord Traits list: his melee weapon causes instant death; and Hellfire Gaze as a greater reward.)

Tz’sa, Herald of Tzeentch, Psy 3, Exalted Locus of Conjuration

Exalted Flamer

Exalted Flamer

Gn’aarl, Blood herald, riding a Harrow beast (i.e., juggernaut), greater reward, Axe of Khorne, Exalted Locus of Wrath (I rolled armorbane/fleshbane as a greater reward.)

10 Horrors

10 Horrors

10 Horrors

10 Harrow Hounds

Soul Grinder, Caged by Tzeentch (i.e., Mark of Tzeentch), Phlegm

Soul Grinder, Blood-Caged (i.e., Mark of Khorne), Baleful Torrent

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

And “The Awakened,” a Helbrute Mayhem Pack, the first brute with standard multi-melta and powerfist, a second with twin-linked las-cannons, and a third one with 2 power tusks.

In tactical terms, the list tries to offset weak, relatively unreliable troop options with edgier elements (hounds/Khorne herald, Soul Grinders, Helbrutes) that keep opponents off-balance and on the defensive.

I've been experimenting with psychic-heavy, Daemonology- and Divination-oriented warp powers, trying to figure out how to make them work in 7th edition. And in particular I've been looking for a balance of Tzeentchery and Khornishness that suits my style of play.

In narrative terms, I've put the Harrowed in the hands of Tzeentch and a Lord of Change, at least for the time being, so that part of the list was set. And then, my longer narrative arc has other forces contending for control of the Host. A Bloodthirster has dispatched emissaries (the Khorne Herald and Harrow Hounds), scheming a coup....

I picture the Soul Grinders as new possessions, raised from the Forge ruins by Heralds.

And then, the Mayhem pack rules (three Helbrutes deep-striking into the game, Crazed every turn) seemed like a good fit with the narrative. I picture Daemons fending off the Orks as they work to reactivate ancient sorcery (mission objectives) and awaken the caged daemons....
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Orks Army List

I have been working with the new Ork codex and trying to figure out how everything works together, so a battle report was something I have been looking forward to.

I took the Ork Horde Detachment, which allows 3 HQ's and gives mobs of 10+ Orks, who roll 10-12 on a charge, hammer of wrath.

Kaptain Badrukk was my Warlord - I think he is one of the best Ork HQ choices, and his gun is great, S7 AP 2 Assault 3 gets hot.

Mega Armored Big Mek with KFF - needed to confer some sort of save to the boys.

Weird boy - upgraded to mastery 2 - This selection is fluffy... I mean I am fighting daemons and a Weirdboy is a psyker with potentially awesome Ork powers.

Mob of Slugga boys (21), 2 Mobs of Shoota boys (30 Mob, 20 Mob) - I figure that I will need lots of boys to be able to stay in the fight.

20 Grots with 2 Runtherds - Stay back and help hold objectives for VP

9 Flashgits with Battlewagon - This is the core of my anti daemon shooting. Lots of moderate strength shooting to force saves.

Morkanaut with KFF (with a non-slot Mek inside to help keep him going) - This is the hard center of the list. 5 HP with grots to allow rerolls and is the only thing that can deal with armor reliably.

4 Kannons - strength 7 ap 3 shooting to hold the rear.

I am still unsure what works best with the Ork list, but my hope is the KFF can add some survive-ability to the boys and Freebootas in order for them to overwhelm the daemons and hold out. Key to this will be the Morkanaut soaking up firepower and being a pain in the butt to the daemon forces. If I am lucky the Weirdboy will get a power or two off to show the daemons that others can manipulate the warp as well.

The two armies, before deployment

stormboy

Postby tinfoil » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Psychic Powers and Deployment

I had Jack draw three cards from the Daemonology deck (for my Herald), and three from the Divination deck (for my Lord of Change).

These draws were pretty good ones for me. The Lord of Change drew Misfortune, Forewarning, and Precognition. The Herald received Cursed Earth (yes!!) and two others (can't remember which ones -- one of them was a summoning draw; as things transpired, I didn't use these powers).

Jack won the roll off to chose sides, and the roll off to choose order of deployment. He had me deploy first, then marshaled his Orks. Deployment looked like this:

I elected not to scout my Harrow hounds.

We rolled night fight.

Jack chose to go first.

Then... I seized the initiative! Looks like the fickle Powers were waxing in my favor.

Game on!
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:15 am

Psychic powers and Deployment

My weirdboy - Gulzag - pulled the following powers:

'Eadbanger
Da Jump
and the primaris power Frazzle

I put the heavy hitters in my army in the center, namely the Flashgits and Badrukk in the wagon and the Morkanaut. I surrounded the Morkanaut with my squad of slugga boys and on the flanks I used my shoota boys to hold the line. The kannons sat in a piece of rubble for some cover and decent lines of fire. The big mek went with the big mob of Shoota to give them some KFF love and the grots sat on an objective in my own backfield. The battlewagon also sat on an objective.

The mission had 6 objectives and I have marked 3 with big red arrows - It was going to be difficult to get to the ones in Fred's backfield, but I felt I had enough to push through, but when Fred siezed initiative I knew I was going to have some problems.
stormboy

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:02 pm

When Chaos fights xenos, humanity wins.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby tinfoil » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Turn 1, Daemons
The harrowing took root swiftly. The humans’ last hours in this place, full of terror and despair, had already fertilized the ground. Far below this layer of psychic nutrients, deep in the moon’s inner mantles, waited dark seeds planted eons before.

The Orks themselves provided the final needful nourishment, their clumsy Warpcraft channeling in surges of dark matter that soon overwhelmed the crude efforts of their shamans to keep or contain the forces they were tapping. Aether inundated the place in churning floodplains of changeful energy. The field ripened rapidly.

Indeed, the Harrowed were very nearly fully formed by the time the Orks realized they had invited in their undoing. Even as the Xenos frantically mobbed and marshaled themselves for battle, the Host was shedding chrysalae, uncoiling, lunging and darting and loping forward, war-ready.

Gathering form in a whirlwind of battle wreckage that blazed with blue fire, the Lord of Change took to the air and swooped into the middle ground. Behind and beside him scuttled a pair of soul grinders. A chariot bearing an exalted flamer darted to the front on the left flank, while the herald of Khorne and his murder pack of Harrow Hounds took position in the center, baying for blood.

The orks milled uncertainly in the face of this unfamiliar threat, their predatory instincts dulled and dazzled by the aetheric roil. Only when boyz began shrieking with pain and exploding in violent bursts of pale flame did the creatures fully grasp that battle had come upon them.

To Translate
After seizing the initiative I moved the mobile/offensive elements of my Host to the center of the table. The single tactical objective I had drawn was not realistically achievable: the orks held that prize in their back lines. So I focused on claiming the middle ground and laying in some psychic protection: the Herald of Tzeentch successfully cast Cursed Earth, enhancing invulnerable saves for nearly all of the Host (still fairly densely and centrally concentrated); the Lord of Change further amplified the Hounds’ saves with Forewarning.

The Warp Storm table did punish one of my horror packs, sending three back to the Warp. And harvested four grots too.

My Tzeentch chariot and Lord of Change both shot at the Morkanaut, managing to take off one hull point between them. The Tzeentch Soul Grinder sent a blast of Phlegm into the Shoota Boyz mob on my right flank, killing a handful.

And that was my first turn. I had inflicted no major damage, and managed to garner neither First Blood nor a tactical objective. Still, I was in a good position, and should be ready to absorb a lot of firepower fairly handily, Tzeentch willing. A good start.

-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Ork Turn 1

Transfixed, Gunta and his boys couldn’t help watching the flares leaping, circling, and dancing from the Weirdboy’s eyes.
“Daemons! Ya blasted curs! Grab yer shootas and git ready for some fighten!” Thumping boots followed the authority of the order and Gunta and other boys began to recover from the glamour to see the air all around them shimmering. Arms forced their way into reality, followed by twisted corpse bodies and the sound of gasping and wet slithering seemed to echo.
Gunta had barely flicked on his force field when the first Ork splattered next to him. Barely in formation and their senses twisted the Orks barely understood what was happening.
Gulzag’s access to the his Gods were denied as he fought to wrest his mind free of the power that shadowed him.
“Let loose a volley, Ya filthy animals!” Over the din the command carried and Orks near and far began unloading everything they had, whether they could see any enemy or not. Gunta couldn’t believe he had lost his force to the Freeboota Kaptain he was paying… surely he was in charge here… surely Gunta was the boss…

The thumping of the Morkanaut changed Gunta’s mind. It smashed headlong into some flesh machine and the Chainsword of Mork clashed onto the thing as it ripped chunks out of the yellow armor. A strange shimmering next to the combat as the Flashgits sent their lead into some dual headed creature, some twisting form, a shrieking mist.
Then Gunta saw him, a large figure with a huge gun, firing from the hip with a large smoldering cigar clamped between his oversized teeth. A Kaptain… a true Freeboota Kaptain… bellowing orders and taking charge while spitting white hot lead from the end of his Snazzgun…
Gunta understood, there was a true leader among the Orks.

Translation:
Orks move up.
The daemons denied all ork psychic activity.
The Flashgits wounded the Lord of Change during the shooting phase and the shootas on the Ork’s right flank stun the chariot. The Morkanaut assaults the Khorn Soul Grinder and they fight to a stalemate. The Soulgrinded knocked 3 hull points off to the one revisted by the Morkanaut... but the Soulgrinder is concussed and will go at initiative 1 next assault phase. The grot riggers do not help the Morkanaut as they fail their It will not die roll.

stormboy

Postby tinfoil » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Turn 2, Daemons
Wheeling above the battlefield, E’Asu E’Aglala peered down on the sudden eruption of carnage and confusion. Mouths opening along the armor plates, animal hides, cables and sinew that made up the deamon’s form grinned in greedy unison. Below, the Blood-caged daemon engine was roaring deafeningly as it tore pieces out of the Orks’ lumbering behemoth. Gn’aarl, Blood Herald, was bellowing hotly and hoarsely, urging his pack forward into the milling Xenos.

The flux was surging and swirling in earnest now, swelling the Host with glee, wrath, potency.

Sensing the moment, the great daemon descended to the surface, whistling a keening call as it dropped.

In answer, icy fissures cracked open in the ruins behind the orks, releasing iron monstrosities that gleamed with forge grease, smoked with sulfur, reeked of blood, shrieked with rage as they clawed their way free. The Awakened had arrived.

Translation
I rolled for reserves and brought in the Mayhem Pack. Two of the creatures survived with minor scattering; the third (the one with two dreadnought close combat weapons) mis-happed and returned to the Warp until next turn. Then, rolling on the creatures’ Crazed table, I sent them into fire frenzy. From the deamons’ point of view, this was just about the most fortuitous result I could have hoped for. For the Orks, it was calamitous.

First the twin-linked lascannon Helbrute, and then the Multi-melta Helbrute, fired into the rear armor of the Battlewagon and destroyed it. (First blood.)

Meanwhile the Lord of Change landed and the Khorne Herald/Hounds moved forward to the edge of the Orks’ lines.

My psychic phase prepared and buffed my advance elements for the combat to come. (Precognition on the Lord of Change; Forewarning again on the Hounds/Khorne Herald.)

The Hounds charged the grots and cannons, slaying many and sending survivors back in panic.

The Khorne-marked Soul Grinder, though concussed and immobilized, managed to dispatch the Morkanaut.

IIRC, I managed to score only one tactical objective this turn. But otherwise fortune had favored me and ruined Jack. A few key roles of the dice had made the battle very lopsided. The Daemons had seized the initiative, shrugged off the Orks’ initial volley, weathered the charge of its big hitter, landed their allied Mayhem pack to maximum effect, and gutted some of the Orks’ most lethal elements. Jack knew he was in trouble.
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:11 pm

And So On…

Fate had dealt the Orks a series of merciless blows. The remainder of the battle can be recounted with merciful brevity.
Having driven back the grot cannon crews, the Khorne Herald and and his pack of Harrow Hounds swept on into the Shoota Boyz. Hounds fell in the ensuing melee, as did Boyz. When the Lord of Change joined the fracas...
... the Boyz were driven from the field, leaving the Orks’ left flank in tatters.

As if to heap misfortune on the greenskins, a surge of Warp energies (i.e., a favorable roll on the Warp Storm table) endowed the daemons with unnatural potency (+1 to daemonic invulnerable rolls) on Turn 3.

Meanwhile, the Mayhem pack rampaged in Jack’s rear lines. From “Fire Frenzy,” the crazed creatures shifted (as if on cue) to blood rage as they barreled into mobs of grots and boyz.

Beset now from three sides, Kaptain Badrukk tried to rally and bolster the Orks’ right flank. But daemonic energies (in the form of phlegm from one Soul Grinder, baleful torrent from the other, augmented by flickering fire from the Lord of Change and the Horrors) savaged his thinning ranks. On turn 4, Jack was forced to concede.

Observations
It wasn’t any tactical acumen on my part that did Jack in. I set up effectively, then got a series of critical dice breaks. I seized the initiative. The Mayhem came in promptly and rolled ideal results on their Crazed table. Even the Warp Storm was kind to me. In sum, I got the opportunity to perform all my Tzeentchy daemon tricks. Jack didn’t have a chance to get started.

Nor did Jack’s tactical objective draws do him any favors. In some seemingly lopsided games, these can make a lot of difference. In ours, they did not. By turn 3 my daemons could do what they wanted in the way of chasing objectives, while Jack’s Orks were fighting to survive.

Flickering with pale, restless fire, E’Asuu-E’Aglala descended to the battlefield in a spiral of lazy circles. His Host was already feeding on the wreckage, Hounds sucking marrow-stuff from corpses, Horrors plundering organs and enginery.

The Wakened had been herded into the ruins of a forge pit. Three of the creatures had survived the battle. The Lord of Change drew near, breathing in the scent of their white hot rage. They hissed as he approached, cables sparking and snapping, ichor and engine oil steaming.

Their glares were murderous, promising revenge for their captivity.

E’Asuu paid no attention. “I will have your fealty oathed anew,” he declared. “For as my plans now take new courses, my Host now takes new forms. You shall be instruments of great and mighty events.”
-Bruce of Bruce

-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:31 pm

E’Asuu paid no attention. “I will have your fealty oathed anew,” he declared. “For as my plans now take new courses, my Host now takes new forms. You shall be instruments of great and mighty events.”

"RAWR!!," one Awakened spat defiantly. "You'll give me a normal-sized head, or I'll 'change your ways' right now!"
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby stormboy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:48 pm

The tides of the warp will grant me some time to finish this up in the next week.

Fred did a great job of a game summary. The tides turned against the orks quickly and the daemons surged to an easy victory.
stormboy

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique