Cypher List (version 3)

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Cypher List (version 3)

Postby Brutal Legend » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm

I found my metal Cypher model in my bits box last night and put him back together. I spent a little time last night looking at some fan art and checking out his dataslate. I came to the conclusion that Cypher's story is really cool and he's a baddass 40k character so I started playing around with a list that would include him. This is what I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Cypher / Chaos Marines 1,500
Chaos Space Marines Codex

HQ
Dark Apostle-110
(warlord), veteran of the long war (free), melta bombs (5)

Cypher, the Fallen Angel-190

Elites
5 Chosen-120
2 plasma guns (30); Rhino with havoc launcher, dozer blade-52

Troops
10 Chaos Marines-193
5 Chaos Marines (75), 5 Chaos Marines (65), aspiring champion, melta bombs (5), 2 meltaguns (20), close combat weapons (18), veterans of the long war (10); Rhino with havoc launcher, dozer blade-52

10 Chaos Space Marines-203
5 Chaos Space Marines (75), 5 Chaos Space Marines (65), aspiring champion, melta bombs (5), 2 meltaguns (20), close combat weapons (18), veterans of the long war (10); Rhino with havoc launcher, dozer blade-52

30 Cultists-231
10 cultists (50), 20 cultists (80), cultist champion, 3 heavy flamers (15), autoguns (26), mark of khorne (60)

Heavy Support
Predator-145
twin-linked lascannon (25), lascannon sponsons (40), dozer blade (5)

8 Havocs-162
5 Havocs (75), 3 Havocs (39), 4 autocannons (40), veterans of the long war (8)

Cypher gives your Warlord a -1 leadership penalty so the free VoTLW upgrade to the Dark Apostle offsets that. Cypher and the Dark Apostle will join the Cultist blob with the mark of khorne so they can pick a prime spot in cover with Infiltrate to utilize the +2 to their cover save they get from Shrouded. They'll be pretty tough to knock off unless they get hit with weapons that ignore cover. They'll do really good in assaults with their mark of khorne giving them rage and counter attack and the Dark Apostle granting them Zealot and Fearless.

That's my thinking so far. Should be fun for a narrative game against DA players.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Cypher List (version 3)

Postby RobPro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:08 pm

What does cypher do for the blob?
RobPro

Postby mace_ace » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Jon, why would you pay extra for autoguns on a unit with the mark of Khorne?
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Personally I wouldn't mark the cultists... you pay way to much for that point of strength and a single round of bolter fire will ensure that 30% of those points will go completely to waste... The points for marking give you almost enough to get a Predator Destructor in the list... drop the autoguns and it's pretty much paid for... the cultists are going to charge something, so the autoguns aren't going to get used then, and they probably need to be running most of the time as well...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Counter Charge, Counter Charge, Counter Charge.

The cultists are there to sit on objectives or just castle up in a ruined building and take up space. Since they don't come with grenades I'll probably never assault with them. MoK, in addition to rage, also gives you counter charge. Autoguns and heavy flamers is a defensive loadout so when they get charged they rapid fire with their autoguns and get 3d3 heavy flamer hits. Then they can get an extra attack with counter charge and failed to hit rerolls with zealot from the dark apostle. It's a pretty solid unit with the DA giving them LD 10 and fearless. If cypher goes with the cultists he can give them Shrouded, so +2 to cover.

Cypher can go a few different places in this list. He can infiltrate/outflank a unit with a dedicated transport or stay back with the cultists if I feel like I need to play more defensive.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:21 pm

I got that part... it's just a LOT of points to sit on an objective... It's the most expensive unit in the army, and that's before you baby sit it with characters...

I'm not a fan.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm

That particular loadout has worked very well for me. People expect units with MoK to always assault but you can take the assault instead, then counter assault. Compare the points cost of my MoK cultists with a 30-man IG blob with flamers, lord commissar and it's close points wise.

I'm trying to put good units on the table where I can try using cypher in several ways.

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique