Standish Standoff 2014 recap

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Standish Standoff 2014 recap

Postby 92acclude » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 am

Great success!

This was the smoothest one they've run yet, and I'd even venture to say, the best one yet.

No comp: we're there some silly lists? Sure, 4 knights and an Avengers fighter? 5 space wolf dreadnoughts and a spartan... Yea, the knights list was dumb, and he placed mid pack somewhere and ver quick games (fuck that guy). Wolf dread list, seemed to be giving people good games and was having fun in the process.

Overall, not having comp wasn't that huge of an issue. Crazy to say it, but the points limit combined with the restriction of 2 books, made it work.

I was mid pack all day, so I didn't see the top tables, but I'm pretty sure that best general and overall were fairly we'll balanced lists.

1650 in 2:15 is perfect.

We were out of there by 7

I had 3 great games, Tony in the first round, who shoved my shit in, but it was a barrel of monkeys in the process, Campbell and I got a rematch and had an awesome game in round 2, and round three was a solid game against a guy who's only been playing for a year and was stoked to get a competitive game (he'd been getting beat up pretty bad) and his first taste of a holy donut.

Campbell can speak to his games, and even he had to deal the guy who ran tau-ultras last year, managed to have a decent game with that guy, in addition to his other games.

They had a bunch if door prizes, and purity seals for painting awards, and three trophies, best overall, best general, and judges choice, which Campbell brought home.

So, overall, it was a good time, great to see those dudes, and I got many questions about when we're going to run another one.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Re: Standish Standoff 2014 recap

Postby tinfoil » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:22 am

Congrats to Campbell! Wish I could have made it! Sounds like a great road trip.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Thor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Glad you two made it down.

I felt bad about that game, Dylan. I commend you though for taking it all in stride and not complaining once. I'm so used to hearing my opponent's mutter about terrible dice rolls that it was refreshing not hearing the complaints.

Congrats on the trophy too, Campbell. You deserved it.

Fratris Salutem is slated for May 16th and I'll be getting information together very soon so we can get it out there early and drum up interest.
Thor

Postby 92acclude » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Thor wrote:Glad you two made it down.

I felt bad about that game, Dylan. I commend you though for taking it all in stride and not complaining once. I'm so used to hearing my opponent's mutter about terrible dice rolls that it was refreshing not hearing the complaints.

Tony, from the get-go, I knew the game was going to go pear-shaped, so I just sat back and reveled in how bad it went. More funny than anything. I still really enjoyed the game we had, despite the drubbing.

And, it's just a game, and you have to, at some point, just delight in everything going wrong once in a while.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby SRM » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:12 pm

The trophy was an honor!

My first game was with Warren, who I'd played at one of the Dorka tournaments. He's a really fun opponent, and our game was pretty close til the end when he cleared me off my objective and took another one. It's payback for me bayonetting Kharn and a Bloodthirster to death last time :P

My second game was with Dylan, which was probably the closest game we've ever had. It was kind of funny that we came all the way up to Maine just to play each other, but that's how the numbers lined up. I even took some bad photos of the game!

My third game was against a guy with an absolutely brutal Tau army with 2 Riptides, 2 Crisis teams, 2 commanders, 2 broadside teams, and a shitload of drones with marker lights and missiles and shit. I knew I'd lost before the first die was rolled, but I'd consider it a moral victory if I lasted to turn 4. Turn 1 he wiped out half my army, and then my Terminators and Librarian mishapped and were lost in the warp so I didn't even get to put them on the table. His army was really good looking though and he was a perfectly pleasant guy to play against, his army was just really competitive and mine definitely was not. I had to be sneaky to even have a chance, and while I put up a good fight (17 wounds with one Thunderfire Cannon volley, what up) I only barely survived turn 5 with 3 models left on the board. I jumped in the air and shouted "I didn't get tabled!" and he hi-fived me.

Here are my Guardsmen seconds before being erased from the table:

And this is the play of the day I was proud of: I'd hidden this platoon command squad with their melta guns behind this random piece of terrain. When my opponent brought his Riptide too close, they jumped out, used the order to shoot and run, vaporized the Riptide and went back into hiding!

All in all it was a really fun event and a huge improvement over last year. Most folks seemed like they had a good time and I was happy to see some familiar faces.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique