Space Wolf List - How Horrible is This?

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Space Wolf List - How Horrible is This?

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Obviously against some armies, this army is going to be complete crap... it's got no Obj Secured units, but it's hella themey in a completely ridiculous way... Would you like playing against it? Hate it? Do you think it's cool? an abomination against the rules/fluff?

This uses the Great Wolf Space Wolf Codex (Grimnar themed one) and is a legal Company of the Great Wolf Detachment.

HQ - Bjorn the Fell-Handed - Plasma Cannon, Heavy Flamer, True Claw, Drop Pod

Elite 1 - Ancient Murderfang - Murderclaws, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod
Elite 2 - Ancient Gunnolf Shivershield - Venerable Dreadnought - Fenrisian Great Axe, Blizzard Shield, Drop Pod w/ Beacon
Elite 3 - Hafgrim the Brightstar - Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Powerfist, Drop Pod
Elite 4 - Ozurr Magebreaker - Dreadnought - Multimelta, Heavy Flamer, Powerfist, Drop Pod w/ Beacon
Elite 5 - Ancient Artoss the Thirsty - Venerable Dreadnought - Fenrisian Great Axe, Blizzard Shield, Drop Pod w/ Beacon
Elite 6 - Ancient Bulvei Frostreaver - Venerable Dreadnought - Helfrost Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Great Claw, Drop Pod w/ Beacon
Elite 7 - Ancient Thorfinn Krakensbane - Contemptor Dreadnought - Kheres Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Saga of the Black Cull, Lucius Drop Pod
Elite 8 - Ancient Aemond the Hammerhanded - Contemptor Dreadnought - TL Lascannon, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Saga of the Iron God, Lucius Drop Pod

1845pts
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Space Wolf List - How Horrible is This?

Postby stormboy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:11 pm

I think it is fucking awesome!

I dig the idea of dropping the fury of the ancients on the heads of heretics!

The thing about objective secured is that you may druggie to claim objectives (not always - because it only comes up sometimes) but if you are being contested for objectives you are in charge range for the next turn...

I would play against it! I would probably struggle with orks or Raven guard marines... But other armies (Eldar) might eat that army up!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:05 pm

It seems like none of the "cool" modification codexes grant Objective Secured for anything... which I guess is a perfectly fine when you're playing with 9 Dreadnoughts, but less fine if you're playing with a bunch of Grey Hunters and Blood Claws.

I'd need to buy 3 more Dreads and another Contemptor to play this, but it's really really tempting. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Do it...

Do it...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby 92acclude » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:35 am

DO IT.....
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby mace_ace » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:41 am

It could be fun but it looks like it may also be a win big or lose big blowout kind of army.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am

DO IT.....

Probably not happening... after pricing it out, I'm now recovering from a heart attack.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:45 am

Tactical marines with krak grenades need to roll 6s to glance you otherwise the sergeant/champion is the only one who will be able to hurt you. Being armor 12 you open yourself up to autocannons and assault cannons hurting you. You are decent in close combat because you're all walkers so everyone is hitting your front armor. Lascannons and melta will have an easier time with you. On the Brightside, anti-infantry weapons can't touch you. And, yeah no objective secured. You do run the risk of squads using the "our weapons are useless rule" against you to get out of close combat and derp you with a special/heavy weapon (then other squads will shoot at you) so you can't tarpit a squad like you would have been able to do in 6th edition even. Your fearless, dreadnoughts don't give a shit, so you don't need the morale section of your rulebook. Psykers? Don't need that section either but psykers will be able to fuck with you.

You're basically throwing metal boxes at your opponent and saying "now deal with this! muah ah ah!!!", but the army definitely has its weaknesses.

Proxy it first before you throw down to get yet more dreads. And yeah it is pretty cool. An all dreadnought army, what's not to like???
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:08 am

I'd heard the Lucius drop-pod was no more--but I'm WAY out of touch with the new stuff. Is it still in the GSW Codex?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:00 am

So... it's no more in the fact that you can't charge out of it, but the item still exists... it's the only "default transport" option for a contemptor... At this point it's just a 50 point drop pod.

After some thought, and remembering that all default transports can be bought as Fast Attack from the base codex, I'd just drop those two Lucius pods (50pts each) and replace them with 2 Fast Attack pods that the contemptors could ride in (35pts each) which would free up a few more points for some upgrades.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:
DO IT.....

Probably not happening... after pricing it out, I'm now recovering from a heart attack.

What was the price, not including stuff you already own....
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:26 pm

$741.45 but that was using two FW Dread drop pods as the Lucius Pods. If I swap those to "regular" pods, that drops the price to around $620. That's a "full retail" price, so you can get around a 10% discount off that at a minimum and more if you want to work the sourcing. In the end with discounts and the pod swaps it's still over $500.00. This also doesn't take into account "storage and transport" which is a cost no one really takes into account... transporting 9 Drop Pods takes a lot of space.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique