2000 points of Daemons vs AdMech

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

2000 points of Daemons vs AdMech

Postby stormboy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Last Friday Fred and I tried to shake off some 40k rust. We headed over to TJ’s to try 2000 points of daemons (the new daemon infestation formation from the Fenris campaign) and a combined force of Cult Mechanicus and Skitarii (Cohort Mechanicus).

We met in the ruins of an old forge, determined to make a solid stand against each other. There were twisted daemons facing off against augmented servitors in a Maelstrom of War mission, Cloak and Shadows. We had to keep our tactical objectives and total points secret and we decided not to use nightfight or mysterious objectives. Most of the objectives spread across the middle of the table and we rolled some fun warlord traits.

The formations were really important, because Fred’s formation bonuses gave him the ability to grab an objective, move on and still hold the objective until one of my units “cleared the taint” of chaos off the objective. My formation allowed me to use the benefits of both my Skitarii and my Cult Mechanicus, which was pretty tremendous.

Fred deployed first, holding a solid chunk of his force in reserve, but setting the 3 soulgrinders up spread out – one on each flank, and one in the center – and throwing out several units of khorne hounds. A unit of horrors sat on an objective. For my part, the AdMech spread out in hopes of dealing with each soulgrinder and then punishing the middle of the table with firepower as Fred brought his other forces to bear. My Sicarian Infiltrators took the middle objective.

Here you can see the deployment and general table set up.

and long ways…

Turn 1. Daemons call upon the Storm of Fire Warpstorm, (which has little effect). In effect the Daemons moved forward and fired sporadically with little lasting damage, but charged the infiltrators I dropped in the middle to hold an objective, killing two and losing one and half hounds in return. In response, the Admech move up and begin shooting. One Soulgrinder is pulled apart due to the gravatic contortion from the breacher’s weapons, giving the AdMech First Blood. The Admech has several fast units – but both of the units I charged with failed their assault rolls.

Here is a picture of the hounds and Sicarians mixing it up in the middle of the table.

And what the table looked like at the end of turn 1

Turn 2. Daemons find that the warp is calm (which is great!). Several Daemon units arrive from deep strike, most notably the Flamers with the Herald landing right behind my Tech Priest. Several units move forward and in the psychic phase the daemons pound my Robots and Datasmith – but the Tzeenthian Herald is dragged into the warp by the fickle powers of chaos! Between shooting and assaults the Daemons kill my Sicarians and all of my tracked Destroyers. Most importantly, Fred has been able to take over all of the objectives with his special daemon rules and achieves a major objective. (It is still secret… but later I discover this one card pretty much put the game out of reach – not because it is overpowered, but because I couldn’t get any decent objective cards and I mismanaged my units and got overly concerned with combats).

The AdMech respond with bringing every bit of their firepower to bear. Clearing away a unit of bloodletters and almost wiping out two units of dogs and come very close to destroying the Khorne Soulgrinder. I charge my Dragoons into the hounds… but I really can’t do enough damage to make it worth sacrificing my fast attack unit for several turns as they get mired in combat. Additionally, I charge my Corpescari ElectoPriests into the center to clear out dogs… But am unable to finish off the Khorne Herald (which will be my undoing). Unfortunately, I was not able to achieve any tactical objectives.

Fred’s reinforcements:

Here are some destroyers –

And now they are gone!

Charge you long legged bastards!

Fighting to get the center objective back!

Turn 3 Just saw the daemons consolidating their positions and trying to blast away more stuff, while the Admech tried, unsuccessfully, to make anything happen. The end looked a little like this:

Fred had taken 15 points of Objectives (he got 6 just from one card - which put it out of reach for me early, especially because I couldn't get the cards on my end to get back into it), to my 3. The Admech fled from the site, unable to recover any useful information about the twisted Machinations of the Daemons or the treasures buried in the red sands…

I did take away a few things. While the formation for AdMech has some great bonuses, in order to get it into a 2000 point list I needed to cut units back to minimal numbers, which made it difficult for Skitarri troops to be effective. I think I should pick up that starter box (another DuneCrawler and Skitarri Unit) and some more Long legged striders with long range firepower and focus on just Skitarii or just Cult until I figure out the army. Also, I need to create a cheatsheet for this army. There are so many special rules for each unit and each units weapons… I can’t manage it by just flipping through the pages. My hope is the next time I bring this army to a table top, I have some thing to help me manage my special rules, because I forgot more special rules in this game than I used.

Fred and I had a ton of fun playing and the table top look ace with our units fighting it out!
Thanks Fred!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Re: 2000 points of Daemons vs AdMech

Postby tinfoil » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 am

That was a fun game, Jack. Thanks for hosting. I'm very glad I made the trip.

Yeah, my luck with the objective cards was pretty sick. That together with the daemonic incursion tactical objective shenanigans put the game out of reach.

On Thursday Cody and I played a game (1500 points) and I ran a smaller version of the list -- essentially the Khorne elements and the Soul Grinders. The game was bloody on both sides. I eventually pulled away with it, though things were close. But Cody and I speculated afterwards about whether or not said shenanigans (if the daemon army qualifies as a daemonic incursion, then any objectives it claims count as held until the opposing player "cleanses" them by claiming them himself) might be overpowered. Cody feels that they break one of the core concepts of the game. I see his point.

edit: another aspect of the game was that Cody was playing with a somewhat ad hoc army list composed mostly of Space Marines on foot. Which is paper to my daemons' scissors. He lacked enough mobility to do much "cleansing."
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby stormboy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:35 am

I don't see it as overpowered so much - mostly because there is a huge cost in list building to gain the advantages. Formations force you to build a list in a specific way and that list building is a price you pay for the bonuses. My AdMech bonuses were pretty good too - I was able to us bonuses from both the Skitarii and Cult Codexes. I just wasn't able to maximize my shooting potential.

I think as more armies get the formation treatment the bonuses will balance out. (Except for Orks - their new formations are absolute shit and the bonuses are meaningless) I think the thing to focus on is objectives - if I sent my DuneStriders out to grab objectives instead of bogging them down in a meaningless fight - I had potential to deny your card. But instead I choose to get into a fight.

Using objectives means you need to prioritize objectives over wiping out the opponent and I think it can be tough to remember that in this edition of 40K.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby SRM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:28 am

Thanks for the report guys! Those are two great looking armies, and they looked awesome on that table. That ability the Deamons formation gives is strong but super fluffy, and actually interesting from a gameplay perspective. That's the kind of thing I like to see from a formation bonus. Shame the game wasn't closer, but it sounds like you both had a great time, and that's what matters most!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Several Daemon units arrive from deep strike, most notably the Flamers with the Herald landing right behind my Tech Priest.

What happened there? Was it just the expected barbecue, or did the Techpriest survive to get his licks in?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby tinfoil » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Ha. That ploy yielded mixed results. My tricked out Herald of Tzeentch suffered a perils of the warp attack and found himself sucked back into said Warp. The flamers then went on to do some damage and soak up fire.
Truly my gods are fickle.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique