Retro Ultramarines vs Retro Bad Moons - 1700 points

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Retro Ultramarines vs Retro Bad Moons - 1700 points

Postby SRM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Had a game this weekend with my buddy at his newly minted gaming basement. We wanted to do a game with as much Oldhammer flavor as possible while still keeping it in 7th edition 40k. I brought the Ultras, he brought the Bad Moons, and we threw down with 1700 points a side. The mission was simple – capture the wrecked Chimera in the center of the field. We also used the 2nd ed psychic cards for our casting instead of rolling. We rolled as normal for charges, and drew that many cards. Force cards counted as successful charges, there were cards in there to deny spells, and there was even a few daemonic incursion cards to play on your opponent to get them to Perils. With everything set up, here's the armies:
The Ultramarines:
(Robots are Centurions with heavy bolters, hurricane bolters, and a lascannon in the sergeant)
The Bad Moons:
(All boyz have 'eavy armor, Lungbursta is a battlewagon with a killcannon)

The cards:

And the battlefield:

Dylan's kickass turn counter, with magnetized pegs. Ultras have turn 1.

The Ultramarines advance!

End of Ultramarines turn 1, the Lootas have been Thunderfire Cannon'd into oblivion:

The Meganobz and Warboss disembark near the objective and the unwitting Assault Marines:

The Orks advance!

The MANz charge in, losing a man to a power fist swing...

But they seize the objective!

Ultramarines turn 2:
There's nowhere good for a deep strike for the Librarian and his Terminator pals, so they just walk on to the board. The Thunderfire kills a handful of 'Ard boyz, and all other shooting is directed at the MANz.

The Ultramarines surround the MANz:

The MANz are killed to a... MAN! The Warboss survives though - theDreadnought gets in position to charge, only for the cowardly greenskin to turn tail and run!

End of Ultramarines turn 2:

We houseruled the deffrollas to work like 4th ed ones, and one wrecks the Sternguard's Rhino!

The Shokk Attack Gun is in position to shoot (whoops forgot he can't move and shoot) and he aims!
He fires and- wha?
He rolls snake eyes and is sucked into the warp!

More successful Ork shooting knocks the arm off ol' Dreadly here:

WAAAGH ENERGY

The Orks charge into the Dreadnought, doing some damage but taking some in return. The boss regroups and joins up with the regular nobz. End of Ork turn 2:

Ultramarines turn 3:

This heavy bolter snipes the warboss as combined fire from the sternguard and thunderfire beat up the Nobz and kill a few. Dreadnought loses its combat after my Terminators fail to make the charge.

End of the turn; the Dreadnought loses combat, the Sternguard move onto the objective, and things aren't looking great for the Marines...

Ork turn 3:

The battlewagon rolls through a few squads, killing 2 Marines and a Robot (Centurion)

Grots storm out of the graveyard, doing nothing in particular

Orks swarm past the Dreadnought!

The Nobz charge the Sternguard, killing them to a man but taking some wounds in return before piling onto the objective:

End of Ork turn 3:

Ultramarines turn 4:

My Librarian Asata casts a lightning power with ultimate force after the weirdboy fails his psychic duel with him. Unfortunately the shots almost all miss, and only one ork is fried.

HOW'S THIS FOR A PSYCHIC DUEL!?

The Terminators win their combat, with Asata challenging the Weirdboy and winning! Suddenly the tides have turned!

End of Ultramarines turn 4:

Ork turn 4:

The lungbursta shoots, failing to do any damage to the tactical squad in the ruins nearby.

End of Ork turn 4:

Ultramarines turn 5 – this could be it!

The razorback disgorges its cargo behind the pair of Ork Dreadnoughts! Their combined shooting with the rest of the army wrecks both.

The tactical marines torch the grots, killing them to a man with a lucky frag grenade throw from the sergeant.

Centurions and Terminators hold the objective and some shooting kills the battlewagon. End of turn 5.

Ork turn 5! It's their last chance!

The lungbursta kills one terminator with its last shot, but Librarian Asata and the Centurion hold fast - it's an Ultramarine victory!

The hero of the day!

We then played Citadel Combat Cards.

All in all, it was a fun day of gaming! The cards weren't super successful though – they just kind of made the psychic phase a little bit clunkier, and denied most powers that went off. The really crazy power I wanted to use – Electrodisplacement – never had a moment where I could use it before he played a power drain card that took it out of play. I think with a little refinement it could have been a more interesting addition though. We also both just kind of fed one unit at a time into the objective, which probably wasn't super smart on either of our parts. If I went Tactical > Assault > Sternguard > Terminators instead of Assault > Sternguard > Terminators I might have taken the objective more effectively and without losing so many of my troops. Regardless, a fun game, and we're looking forward to the next one!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Retro Ultramarines vs Retro Bad Moons - 1700 points

Postby tinfoil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:52 pm

What a pretty battle report! Love the spirit and look and feel of this game. Thanks for posting, Campbell. Thanks for hosting, Dylan.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby mace_ace » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:17 am

The kitty was my favorite part.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am

mace_ace wrote:The kitty was my favorite part.

Tater is more powerful than any Space Marine.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:18 pm

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the rest of it, but that cat is fucking awesome.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique