Sons of Mars, fluff thread

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Postby afeinman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm

"Honored Sir--so good of you to meet with your humble servant."

Chapter Master Mav Thorne nodded his head at his second-in-command's casual deference. "Father Corghan. The honor is mine, as always." Thorne looked idly around the sparsely-appointed chambers, just a small cube off the main sanctuary. Corghan kept nothing for himself but arms, armor, and liturgical writings; the bare walls and clear table made Thorne uneasy. His servotendrils writhed in quiet discomfort, robbed of anything to manipulate and examine.

"Please--have a seat. What is it that the Chapter requires of me?" Corghan asked.

Thorne was once again struck by the calmness and civility in this man, whose might Crozius had felled the great daemon Aetrius, at whose back the 5th Division had taken and held the Rock of Acatan against insurmountable odds. "I assume you've been briefed about the recent unpleasantness on that miserable dust-ball."

The Chaplain nodded, his intense gaze never leaving Thorne's face. "I have been so informed. We lost three good men that day."

Thorne nodded. "But we must press on. The Xenos threat must be quelched, and soon. I have Caedes working on it."

"Then it will surely be done soon," Corghan said, "for what Master Caedes sets his mind to is quickly achieved. But I sense you do not seek my counsel for this matter."

"No, I have much to ask of you and your men."

"Speak, and your will is mine as well."

"I need you to lead the Second Fleet. Away from the heart of the action, it seems; I know that might pain you."

If it did, the Chaplain succeeded in hiding his reaction. He was quiet for a time. "If the Emperor determines the rear needs guarding, I can serve in this capacity."

"Oh, I think you'll see a bit of action there as well, Father."

That got his attention; outwardly, the man was calm, but Thorne's biosensor stalk was able to detect a slight arhythmia in Corghan's right-most heart. "Do tell."

"A renegade legion--perhaps you've heard the scuttlebutt?"

"Aye, a skitarius came for confession, and revealed he had spoken with a recruiter for such. The legion of the Hydra, I believe he said the name was."

Thorne sat forward sharply. "A recruiter? here?"

"Nay, on Prime. I forwarded the information to the Ordo Hereticus; no doubt they will have scourged the damned soul with fire, as we did here. The purifying flame of the fusion engines erased all trace of sin from within him."

"Very good. The bulk of the legion met with disaster at the hands of a Guard Reactionary force, and they were harried in their retreat further by an infestation of Orks. The one is taking care of the other, and the Governor has asked us to ensure that the dregs of the damned legion are rounded up and exterminated."

"I see," said Corghan quietly.

"There's more. Scouts and preliminary reports indicate that the Chaos forces are up to something big--a summoning, the Astrogator believes. Faint reports passed through the Ordo Malleus indicate that our victories may be Pyrrhic--that in winning, we grant them the time and space they need to effect a greater evil. This is why I am choosing you--there can be no continuation of the summoning. Take whatever you need, and see to it."

"Of course, my lord," Father Corghan said. "I shall, Emperor willing and the Throne retain its golden shine, see this task done swiftly and decisively."
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby afeinman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 am

<<<TO: Sons Of Mars, etc., etc.>>>
<<<FROM: Lord-General Narnd, 265th Cadian Reactionary Force>>>

"Do I have time to respond.... what's wrong with you? Have you seen what's going on Prime?

Renegades: Big unit of those crazy ogryn, blobs of troops and one tanks. It was only a skirmish, so not sure what they might add, probably more tanks.....good luck, brutha."

Father Corghun scanned over the brief letter in mistrust. The Guard forces were being less than helpful, perhaps, he thought, cocky due to their easy victory. Word was that the renegades had rearmed and retooled since their skirm with the 265th. He strode down the armoury, tapping some of the most powerful and venerable pieces from the Sons inventory. He girded about with his Tactical Dreadnought armor, and summoned his most puissant troops. This would be a skirmish for the ages.

#
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby afeinman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:26 am

I'm a little behind--this is actually the battle against Rich from last week, first.

Father Corghan surveyed the battlefield. Renegades. He hated renegades. Armed with the best stolen equipment they could scrounge from their posts, the former Guardsmen, usually led by some fallen apostles, could be serious trouble. Anticipating a rag-tag group, he instead was looking out from his personal Land Raider on a well-organized, carefully-constructed set of combat troops. A fierce intelligence was behind this, and he thought he knew which: Tzeentch. The master planner had lured him in, and there was nothing to do but face the music.

The planet itself was a wreck; the skies were black except for writhing blue clouds of smoke and noxious gas. The landscape had an eerie cast to it, a maelstrom of crackling energy and old wounds. An ancient altar, no doubt to some native god, had long since been corrupted by the Chaos preachers: all that remained was a ragged scar in the shape of that great, unblinking eye. Father Corghan muttered a prayer to the Omnissiah and shuddered.

The squad of hand-picked men around him sat in their disembarkation chamber unaware of the implications. Five men, each a veteran of a hundred battles, sealed inside the greatest technology for personal combat the Imperium could produce. Corghan didn't doubt their prowess; he doubted their chances.

The battle raged below, while Corghan and his Terminator fellows awaited the clearing in the mists of battle that would allow them to join the battle. He watched as the Sons focused fire on an enormous mob of mutants, only to realize the true target lay behind--a set of swollen, enraged Ogryn, mutated almost beyond recognition. "There," he said. "Our target lies there."

The deep hum of the Raider's engines signalled the impending attack. But then--disaster. The Land Raider lurched to a sudden stop, its left tread caught on a fiendish trap left by the inhabitants. The front hatch sprang open; momentarily caught off guard, Father Corghan and the Terminators appeared on the battlefield, badly out of position: too far from the Ogryn, and facing only a ravaging horde of mutants. Behind he could see the leader of the massive creatures chanting, a look of horror rising on the massive slab of flesh it called a face. A portal was forming in the very earth of the planet.

Across the battlefield, Techmarine Ellis and his comrades in Tac Squad Two dumped out of their Razorback mere feet from the enemy line. He'd hitched a ride at Caedes' request; the Forgemaster hoped to keep an eye on Corghan, whom he considered a touch unreliable. From what Ellis could see, that suspicion was justified; the Chaplain had brought some of the Chapter's most venerated equipment, but was deploying it ill-suited to achieve his objectives. He decided to take matters into his own hands--and that's how he'd ended up here, scant inches from the dazzle-painted hull of a massive Leman Russ.

"Pugh!" he shouted, and the meltagunner let loose a precise jolt of sunfire. The Russ' armor was no match, and melted away, revealing the fragile inner core. Renegades bailed from the tank as it went up in flames.

Ellis cheered; but hard to their left, another squad of traitorous scum leveled their lascannons on his men. Behind, a massive mob of mutants threatened to overwhelm Corghan and his Terminators "Men! This shall be our finest hour! Pugh, Hopkins; you shall delay those mutants a moment, while I dispatch those cannon."

"Now go!" he shouted, as the lascannons made short work of the Razorback they'd been sheltering behind.

Behind, Corghan saw the opening Ellis' sacrifice had given; but it was to be too little. "Men of Mars! To arms!" he shouted, pouring fire into the Ogryn, hoping to stop the ritual; but it was too late. The mob of mutants unleashed hellfire upon the Terminators, finding weaknesses even in the sealed armor. Corghun cried for a tactical withdrawal, but when he turned around, he was the only one standing. He rallied the shattered remnants of a Tactical squad to him, and returned to the relative safety of the Land Raider.

Across the field he saw Ellis, covered in gore, laying about with a vengeance and surrounded by dead guardsman. But it was too little, too late. As night fell, he could see massive forms circling around the portal: Daemons, thousands of them, some as large as a Rhino. He ordered a general withdrawal, falling back to the landing vehicles with a foul taste in his mouth.

#
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby afeinman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:26 am

"That rocksucker," Ellis said, "left me to die." He was chewing on a cigarillo while a docbot patched up his side. He'd taken two lances and a cavalary saber, but he'd managed to escape by commandeering a storage trolley after the battle had died down.

"That rocksucker has a lot to answer for," Caedes said, nodding. "Even Thorne is pissed about how it went. Hell, even the governor is upset. I think we'll be seeing some shake-ups in the ranks soon." He eyed his old friend. "Thinking of resuming command? I saw the reports--impressive stuff."

Ellis shook his head. "It's for chumps. Far prefer to be with you in the lab. I was this close"--and here he held up his hands, a head's breadth apart, then winced from the wound in his side--"to nabbing the heart of that Russ. You should have seen what they did to it. Ripped the intake manifolds off completely, replaced them with some sort of lung structure. I swear it was breathing, a wheezing sort. Kept advancing under full fire. Amazing stuff."

"We'll get it next time," Caedes said. "Now rest up--we're headed to Secundus."

"Belial's Teeth," Ellis said. "Where are they sending us now?"

"Dunno," Caedes said. "I hear there's good hunting, though. Sort of like Canopus Delta--and you remember how that went."

"Sure, for the first few days, at least. After that it was all bugs and rampaging wildebeasts. Nearly killed our porters."

"Oh, come on, you came out of that okay."

"Yeah, but I was eating roast wildebeast for a month after. Wildebeast stew, wildebeast steak, wildebeast tartar, wildebeast soup--next time we go hunting, I'm killing a rabbit, PERIOD."

#
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby afeinman » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Things were not going well.

The Sons of Mars, caught between conflicting commands from Schindelgheist Prime and their Company Master, were scattered across half the system. A successful drop-pod raid had expelled Tau forces from a key battlefield on Secundus, but an ill-fated defense of Prime had shattered the core of the First Battalion.

A well-armed and armored Ork Waaugh had overrun positions in the heart of Aesclepius, a million-citizen city on north continent. Fronted by a raft of special battlewagons, each equipped with special turbo-boosting deff rollahs capable of plowing entire tanks out of the way, the ork teams had poured into the city, overwhelming a rear-guard force and pushing the Marines back.

Regrouping in vehicles far above the smoking plains of Prime, the battle brothers stewed and counted their losses.

"That's six dreadnoughts we've got to replace," Chapter Master Mav Thorne said. "How much longer is this idiot commander going to grind us down? We need to attack in force, not in drips and drabs. We've got enough Imperials in-system to evaporate the Xenos threat entirely. We could have stopped them on the perimeter when it was still a one-sided war; but now the orks are 'in and among', and we're forced to fight their way."

"This sucks," Magos Liturgos agreed.

"Thanks for that," Thorne grumbled. "Well, hell. We're going to find a spot, and make a stand. Caedes!"

The Master of the Forge rose slowly. He'd taken a beating escaping from the last combat, and spent the last three days tearing apart his Conversion Beamer to figure out why it was firing high. The inaccuracy had cost him valuable men and time. "Yes, chapter master?"

"Find us a defensible location and fortify it. We stop running here and now. And this time don't lose it! I don't want to see orks taking advantage of our hard work again."

"Yes, sir."

"And send out the call to any friendly Imperials in the area to join us; I'm assuming command of the system. There has to be SOMEONE competent out there to join up with."

Caedes eyed the blistered ball of Prime warily as it sped by beneath them. A fortifiable spot. As if that'd help.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Previous

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique