Crimson Fists, Hellblade Crusade thread

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Crimson Fists, Hellblade Crusade thread

Postby SRM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

It has been ten years since the crisis on Rynn's world, and no time has been wasted rebuilding the chapter. With the chapter approaching half strength, it is time for the Crimson Fists to seek battle once more. With word of The Arch-arsonist Snagrod finding his way to the Schindelgheist, it was clear where the Crimson Fists would next seek battle.

Led by the Chapter Master Crimson Fist, Pedro Kantor, this new crusade was named the Hellblade Crusade, after the mountains the Fists' former monastery was housed in. This crusade consisted of the rebuilt 2nd battle company, and the 1st veteran or "crusade" company. Support from the 10th company is fairly limited, as most scouts were graduated to brother Marines fairly quickly. Some newer recruits are still along for the crusade, however. Personnel as follows:

++COMMAND STAFF++
Pedro Kantor, Chapter Master
Ortiz, Chaplain
Marco, Codicier
Decius, Codicier
Honor Guard of brothers Dogal, Cross, and Chapter Champion Reecius
Inglesa, Master of the Forge

++1st COMPANY++
Captain Gaelan
Sternguard squad Guerra
Sternguard squad Drakken
Terminator squad Alvez
Terminator assault squad Martillo

++2nd COMPANY++
Captain Delgado
Command squad with apothecary Gideon and company champion Ook-Ook
Tactical squad Rico
Tactical squad Villa
Tactical squad Raquel
Tactical squad Rodriguez
Tactical squad Diego
Tactical squad Grimm
Assault squad Mendoza
Assault squad Vasquez
Devastator squad Drigo
Devastator squad Huron

++ATTACHED STAFF++
Bob, Techmarine
Brother Hugo, dreadnought
Brother Cortez, dreadnought
Brother Draco, dreadnought
Brother Martiz, dreadnought
Leto, scout sergeant

Given the personal nature of this crusde, the majority of the conflicts will be led by Kantor himself. However, smaller engagements may not warrant the presence of the Chapter Master and his favored Sternguard squads, as their presence may not be required on an average recon mission. These operations are typically handled by either a chaplain such as Ortiz or the captain of the 2nd Company, Delgado. If Kantor is for whatever reason unfit to lead, be it by wounds suffered (physical or spiritual) or otherwise, then Captain Gaelan will take temporary leadership of the crusade.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm

From the command deck of the battlebarge Rynn's Furty, Chapter Master Pedro Kantor overlooked Schindelgheist Secundus. As he sat in his command throne overlooking the verdant planet, a chapter serf came up to him.

"Lord Hellblade, Imperial forces on the ground are reporting that a number of the local farmers' Ralodon herds have gone missing, or turned up dead. Engines and gunfire have been heard before the incidents."

"Sounds like some juves who are trying to get their kicks to me."

"M'lord, these attacks aren't isolated. They've started in the northwest continental mass and are spreading southwards, towards Kitvaul. Chaotic as this is, I think there's some order to it."

"Sounds too widespread for this to be a rebellion. Rumors persist that Snagrod is hiding in the system, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was his doing. Get Captain Delgado on the vox."

"Aye, m'lord."

Within the hour, a Thunderhawk bearing a small mobile task force departed from Rynn's Furty. Captain Delgado took along his personal retinue, with tactical squads Rodriguez and Diego mounted up and in tow. Meanwhile, sergeant Leto was already leading his scout Marines on a training exercise on the planet below. Suddenly, they heard the sound of engines in the distance...
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:59 am

"What do you mean we landed on the wrong planet?" Delgado barked into the vox. "Are you telling me there's already an Ork Waaagh building up on Canopis, and we landed on a dairy farm?"

Kantor sighed into his headset. "Yes Captain, withdraw and mobilize for Canopis immediately."

Pedro signed off and looked around his command center, where the misinformed chapter serf was strangely absent. What was his name again? Skippy? no matter, there were more important things afoot.

++ DAY ONE OF COMBAT ++
As follows:
++This is Captain Delgado of the Crimson Fists, Captain of the second company and force commander of recon force Delta. Our forward scouts have sighted a large band of Ork raiders to the North of our current position. Fortunately for us, Ork eyesight is decidedly poor in the dark, so the night is on our side.++

----------------------
MISSION:
Jack and I were fighting on Canopis, a volcanic planet where every turn we roll a die; on a 1 or 2 volcanic stuff happens and a S5 AP5 large blast will scatter 6d6 from the center of the table. Three objectives are set up, with one in the middle, and two on the edges of my deployment zone, making a triangle. We rolled and got nightfight for the whole game!

MY LIST:
- Captain Delgado, power fist
- Command squad, power fist, company champion Ook-Ook, Razorback with twin linked lascannon
- Tactical squad Diego, power fist, melta gun, multimelta, Rhino
- Tactical squad Rodriguez, power fist, flamer, rocket launcher, Rhino
- Scout squad Leto, power fist and shotguns

DA WAAAAGH:
- Kaptain Noshskar (warboss) with 'uge choppa, 'eavy armor, bosspole and twin linked shoota
- Shoota boyz x17ish, 2 rokkits, bosspole
- Shoota boyz x17ish, 2 big shootas, bosspole
- Shoota boyz x17ish, power klaw, bosspole
- 3 killa kans, 2 rokkits, 1 KMB
- 6(?) Flash Gits, 'eavy armor, painboy, bosspole(?)

DEPLOYMENT:
Jack's Orks got deployment/first turn, and they deployed fairly centrally. One boyz squad on my left, one in the center behind a hill, and one on the right. In the middle left were the kans, and the middle right had the gits and Kaptain Noshskar.

My Marines deployed with squad Rodriguez in a Rhino on the center left, with squad Diego in a Rhino right next to it, and the command squad in their Razorback right next to that. My scouts infiltrated on the right.

I rolled to seize and Jack won the roll off!
TURN 1
Orks pretty much all move forward, with the mob in the center getting really hung up on terrain. There is some running, and the kans try and shoot my Rhinos but can't spot them. Most boyz run forward.

My scouts come out from behind a rocky outcropping and surprise the boyz mob with a power klaw and no special weapons. Meanwhile, my two Rhinos drive up 12" on the left while my Razorback heads up a little bit and takes a potshot at the kans. It hits, penetrates, and blows it up! The scouts unload their shotguns and drop 7 Orks from shooting, then charge. The ensuing melee sees an unusual amount of Orks get cut down along with 5 of my scouts. The Orks test morale, fail, and get overrun! The scouts consolidate back towards my board edge and objective.

TURN 2
The Kaptain's flash gits are pissed! They pursue my scouts and gun down three of them. Meanwhile, the kans advance up the center and stun my razorback. The shoota boyz in the middle got muddled again in the terrain while the rokkit toting boyz moved in on my rhinos. They shot their rokkits, missed, and charged. Since my rhinos had moved 12" the Orks could only hit it a bit, then shake it. Finally, my scouts were about to get charged by the gits, but I used Combat Tactics and fell back out of charge range.
++The Warboss has taken the bait! Leto, fall back!++

My scouts regrouped and consolidated toward the objective. Squad Diego's rhino was shaken, so the squad got out and moved towards the kans. Squad Rodriguez drove up next to the mob of boyz and readied their flamer and bolters. Finally, Captain Delgado and his command squad disembarked and moved close to the mob of boyz with rokkits. Squad Rodriguez's bolters barked as their flamer burned down another 5 Orks. The command squad shot, charged, and wiped the squad out without a casualty. Squad Diego's meltagun cooks one of the Kans and the squad charges. Krak grenades blow off the close combat weapon and the power fist stuns the walker without taking any wounds. Meanwhile, squad Leto hid behind a bunker.

TURN 3
We remembered the volcano rules! But nothing happened.
The Ork left flank had all but crumbled and the heavy hitters were still on the right. The remaining mob of shoota boyz finally got out of their difficult terrain and got stuck in in the middle with squad Diego and the remaining kan. The gitz fell back towards the center, abandoning the chase after the decoy scouts. Assault was fairly bloody, with half a dozen Orks and 2 Marines dying. Diego's powerfist swung and clanged off the side of the walker, only to dodge it's battered and broken claw as it impaled a Marine nearby.

Volcano once again does nothing.
With the gits now out of sight, my two remaining scouts get on the objective. Diego and his command squad pile into the swirling melee in the center, only to be followed by squad Rodriguez. My razorback takes a potshot at the gits; spotting an impressive 30" in the dark, but the shot fails to wound. Melee sees one more Marine from squad Diego fall, bringing them down to 5 men, but the Orks are wiped out after a few swings from Delgado's power fist, and his faithful tribal champion, Ook-Ook's power glaive. Finally, Diego gets the killing blow on the killa kan, wrecking it. The nob and a boy survive, and run without getting overrun. I consolidate the 5 men from squad Diego back towards my left objective, and the other two squads back towards their Rhinos.
++Come Ook-Ook! Let us purge them with sword and fire!++

TURN 4
MASS CONFUSION
The mission objectives come up! A 5 is rolled and now we're gunning for objectives and kill points, plus bonuses for wiping out all troops units and such.

Volcano once again does nothing.
The remaining boy and nob fall back behind a hill. Kaptain Noshskar and his gits spot my command squad in the dark but my armor saves hold.

THE VOLCANO ERUPTS! But it scatters 20" to the left of anything going on and nothing happens.
My command squad and squad Rodriguez mount up in Rhinos, but are still largely in the same position. The Razorback fails to wound a git again I think, and the 5 Marines from squad Diego board it, holding the objective.

TURN 5
The gits spot the command squad's rhino and it explodes! I make all my saves, however, and nothing happens.

I try for a push, with squad Rodriguez's Rhino pushing forward and my command squad doing the same. I roll snake eyes for distance and nothing really goes anywhere.

Jack rolls to see if the game ends and it comes up a 1. The Fists hold two objectives and have a big lead on killpoints. Imperial victory!
++This is Captain Delgado. Master Kantor, the Orks are here in force. We slaughtered the bulk of them, but the warboss got away. Imperial records note him as a 'Kaptain Noshskar', a notorious Ork pirate. Increased Ork activity is expected; I suggest bringing the wrath of the Emperor on them in short time. Delgado out.++

Let it also be noted that I accomplished my campaign objectives and now have one Zeal Token.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 am

After setting up a temporary firebase on Canopis, captain Delgado settled into his prefab command center. Chaplain Ortiz stormed into the CIC, crozius in hand.
"Brother-captain! The Orks flee before us!"
"Good work, brother. For the time being, let us secure our holdings and prepare for Lord Hellblade's landing."
"No! We must kill them while we can! I demand that we run them down while their backs are turned!"
"Chaplain, your zeal is appreciated but now is not the time to let bull-headed pride dictate our actions."

Ortiz stormed out of the command center and raised the comms.
"Mendoza, Vasquez, rally your assault Marines. We're taking the fight to the enemy." Confirmation runes glowed on his helmet display, and Ortiz headed for war.

++DAY 14 OF COMBAT++
Chaplain Ortiz led a fiery assault to break the back of the Ork Waaagh! on Canopis. The force contained Chaplain Ortiz, assault squads Mendoza and Vasquez, tactical squads Diego and Grimm, and brother Cortez. The Crimson Fist advance pushed deep into Ork territory, with the sole intent of hunting down and killing Kaptain Noshkar and the rest of his freeboota kin.

Only when they were miles into Ork territory did Ortiz realize he had fallen into a trap. What Ortiz found was not a retreating, disorganized mob of Orks, but a brutal, fast, and deadly armored column of Ork Speed Freaks. Ortiz's force was quickly surrounded as they fell into an Ork ambush, and the Orks closed the pocket around the chaplain and his men. The Orks were among the Marines before they could dismount and bring their bolters to bear.

As the Orks crashed into Ortiz's assault squad, he swung his crozius, felling greenskins left and right. Shells rained overhead, obliterating most of Vasquez's assault Marines. Just to the north the defensive line of tactical squads Grimm and Diego was being overrun by the fast buggies and heavy vehicles of the Speed Freaks. Ortiz's last moments were spent looking into the eyes of the warboss before the brute thrashed him with his power klaw. While the mangled form of chaplain Ortiz was beaten into the ground, he realized the error of his zealous attack.

Crimson Fist losses were incredibly high, and they weren't able to even inflict their own numbers in casualties back. Sergeant Vasquez destroyed both a buggy and a battlewagon with his mighty thunder hammer, but no other Marine could match his bravery or strength.

Word got back to Captain Delgado of the unsanctioned assault, and he cursed the deceased chaplain's hubris. With the Crimson Fist forces on Canopis depleted by this raid, Delgado had to make the difficult decision to withdraw from the ruddy planet. Beaten and bruised, the Crimson Fists 2nd company returned to their battlebarge, Rynn's Fury.

"Lord Kantor, let it be known I am deeply repentent for our defeat on Canopis."
"Be still, Delgado, it is not on your shoulders. Ortiz's zeal, while admirable, is to fault for this massacre."
"That is true, but he was still in my command. It is my responsibility."
"Alright, brother-captain. Two weeks of fasting and another forty hours on the training grounds shall be your punishment, and I am assuming command of ground actions in this sector. I shall bring my fury to the surface and take the fight to whatever Orks and heretics who dare draw breath on the Emperor's worlds."
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm

With their crushing defeat at Canopis, the Crimson Fists fell back to the Imperial world if Schindelgheist Prime, intent on regrouping in the assumedly safe urban sprawl outlying the capitol of Rhylex Hive. Chapter serfs have been tasked with setting up a temporary firebase from which the Crimson Fists can recuperate and plan their next attack.

Night sees a Thunderhawk bearing the personal heraldry of Pedro Kantor, Lord Hellblade himself, landing at the makeshift starport set up at the end of the hab block. Captain Delgado and his command retinue come out to greet the unexpected visitors. When the ramp comes down, Twenty of the chapter's finest veterans file out, resplendent in their polished and decorated armor. At their forefront is Pedro Kantor, Dorn's arrow loaded at his wrist and his power fist crackling with energy.

"Lord Hellblade, while your visit is welcome, why are you making a presence here on the planet? Don't you think your tactical expertise would be of more use orchestrating the war from orbit?"
"Brother-Captain, I am needed here. Our battle brothers are wounded in body and spirit from the losses on Canopis, and they need their hearts back in the battle."
"Without Chaplain Ortiz to steel their spirits, I understand."
With a wordless nod, Kantor walked to the front line, his honor guard in tow.

As Pedro came to the front, he saw the tattered remains of assault squad Vasquez sparring in the distance. Further still, Sergeant Grimm and his tactical Marines were performing maintenance on their rhino. Pedro walked up to a refueling station where three of the chapter's rhinos were filling up. Tactical squad Grimm was performing firing drills as Pedro and his honor guard came up to the range. Sergeant Diego saw Pedro striding towards his squad and dropped to one knee.
"Kantor, m'lord..."
"Rise, sergeant. How are my Marines?"
"We're holding on, Lord. We've been-"

Pedro's attuned autosenses detected motion in the far distance; dangerous shapes getting closer and closer. He shoved Diego aside with his power fist, raised his revered Stormbolter, and sprayed a torrent of fire into the night. Soon after, his Sternguard retinue joined him, incendiary rounds burning through the armor of the fast-approaching enemies.

"Eldar jetbikes!" Pedro shouted. "Diego, take your squad and get to the comms station! Guerra, Drakken, your squads on me! Go!"

The bikes swooped in and destroyed Diego's rhino, but his Marines were able to pile out of the burning wreckage mostly unharmed. All the while, Pedro and his Marines were shooting down the whooping and hollering bikers. Grimm's squad started taking fire from previously unseen opponents. The Dark Eldar were here, and they were here in force.

++DAY 28 OF COMBAT++
The Dark Eldar struck just before dawn, striking the Crimson Fists line from all sides. The surrounding attack caught the Marines off guard, and before they knew it the foul Wyches of the Dark Eldar were on them. Pedro's honor guard was in hand to hand combat with the drug-fueled gladiators within moments of the battle's beginning, Kantor's inspiring presence driving them towards further glory. It was all a ruse, however; a ploy to draw the Chapter Master out to the fore. As he and his personal Sternguard rushed to assist their entangled brethren, a Venom containing the dread Succubus and her Hekatrix Bloodbrides crested over the fueling station, and her deadly accomplices rushed into the assault.

The Succubus singled out Kantor, and as their respective squads fought with flail and chainsword, the two commanders locked gazes. She let out a savage scream and ran at him, her blade glowing with murderous energy. She closed imperceptibly fast and leaped in the air before coming down hard on Kantor. He threw the attack aside with his power fist, which left him open for the flurry of attacks that came next. His armor and agility was able to protect him from the first three, but the fourth pierced his shoulderguard on his stormbolter arm. The succubus tried to pull her blade free, only to find it lodged in the Space Marine's heavy armor. Pedro took advantage of this momentary advantage and grabbed the heathen creature by the waist with his power fist, and crushed her in one gory squeeze. Without skipping a beat, he pulled the blade from his pauldron and joined the ongoing fray with his brother-Marines. With his inspiring presence and legendary martial prowess, the Marines were able to beat back their savage opponents, cutting them to ribbons with their chainswords and combat knives.

Pedro knelt down beside one of his wounded comrades. The Marine's leg was broken, and his arm had been shorn off at the elbow by an Eldar blade. A full half of his Sternguard detachment were in comprable shape or worse, lying wounded, dead, or dying on the battlefield. Kantor had the walking wounded load the rest into a rhino, which he personally commandeered and drove for the front lines.

Vasquez's assault Marines had caught up with the few remaining bikers and cut them down from their murderous vehicles. Before they could savor the victory, a storm of missiles flew at them from a Dark Eldar fighter-bomber. Massive explosions caught the squad, leaving only the brave sergeant and three of his men standing. Eager to get to cover, the squad jumped for the comms beacon.

Sergeant Diego's Rhino roared towards the center of the field, shrugging off lances and splinters on the way. A lucky shot pierced the front armor and ignited the fuel tank and the tank split in two in a massive fireball. The armor of the Marines inside saved all but two, who were immediately set upon by the poisonous guns of the Dark Eldar. Marines were falling left and right as the squad hunkered down into its cover. Brother Ventris peeked up over the edge and let out a murderous shot with his multimelta, turning one of the Raiders to slag. He didn't get back down in time though, as a burst of splinters caught him in the chest and he went down into the crater.

The situation was no less dire in the rear, where another horde of Wyches assaulted the comms beacon that sergeant Grimm was tasked with defending. The squad was pinned inside its own rhino, with lances and splinters shearing off chunks of armor at a time. The tracks were turned to scrap metal and the stormbolter was blown clean off its mounting. If Grimm and his men didn't get out of the tank, they were good as dead. With the warriors of the Dark Eldar approaching, Grimm and his men surged out and opened fire on the gladiators, but they were so pumped up on combat drugs that the few who were hit refused to stay down. Moments later, the Eldar were fighting in savage close combat with the Marines, where their superior numbers drove the warriors of the Imperium back.

Streaks of gunfire came overhead and cut down the remainder of Vasquez's squad, leaving only the bewildered sergeant. As Grimm's squad ran towards him, they were all caught by the same Eldar Wyches. Things looked grim, as Vasquez was cut down, and men from Grimm's squad were futilely punching and kicking at their enemy. Just as things seemed their most dire, a rhino rolled up with Pedro Kantor's voice booming from the vox unit.
"Warriors of the Imperium! Stand firm! There is only the Emperor, he is our shield and protector!"
With the inspiring words of their commander echoing over the battle, the Marines of Grimm's squad fought with a renewed zeal. They beat them back, forcing them into a retreat. Three Sternguard of Kantor's retinue piled out of their rhino and started gunning down the Dark Eldar warriors, covering the advance of their brethren in Grimm's squad.

Meanwhile, Diego's squad was still pinned down. A troupe of Kabalite warriors had leapt from their raider and opened fire on his men. Splinter fire pinged off their armor and the crater alike, and the terrible storm kept the Marines' heads down. A break in the fire came, and Diego looked up. He saw a lithe, brutal killing machine casually striding towards him, a sword in each hand. The archon exuded malice and terror, and he began to close the gap. He locked eyes with Diego and charged, his blades flying in every direction. The sergeant staggered for a moment, wound up, and threw a monstrous punch with his power fist. The punch met a moment of resistance as it caught the archon's force field, only for it to shatter before the massive fist punched the archon's head clean off. The xeno's headless body flew back with the blow, cartwheeling out of the crater. The Marines were filled with bloodlust at their victory and charged out of the crater, where they were met by a flotilla of Dark Eldar hovercraft and a group of warriors. The Marines were cut down, wounded or killed by the rain of splinters and lances.

Infuriated by this sight, the men of Grimm's squad rushed towards the Eldar footsoldiers. Supported by the words of their chapter master still echoing in the air, they closed the distance and ran into melee. The grace of the Eldar was no match for the brute strength of the Marines, and they were driven back before being overrun by the Crimson Fists.

With their infantry forces all but wiped out, the Dark Eldar vehicles flew skyward in full retreat. The few remaining Marines fired a few ineffectual shots at the light craft before giving up the futile pursuit. Kantor stepped from his rhino, surveying the battle scarred field. They had driven back the Dark Eldar, but at what cost? This place was meant to be a place of recuperation for the Crimson Fists, but had become a battleground like anywhere else. It was clear to Kantor that they could not afford to retreat like this again and be stuck on the defensive. It was time to bring the war to the enemy.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Awesome. Good to see more storyline.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby SRM » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am

The Crimson Fists' return to Canopus was both fast and loud. Pedro Kantor led from the front, his rhino blazing a trail through the canyons outside the capitol. Their mission was to find and kill Warboss Uzgob, effectively severing the Speed Freeks from the Arch-Arsonist's forces.

As the noon sun beat down on the hulls of their Rhinos, the Crimson Fists rode in deep behind enemy lines. Bonecruncha, Uzgob's battle fortress, was their rolling target. The Orks saw the Fists coming, however, and once again the Marines were lured into a trap by the Speed Freakz. Buggies swarmed around the Marines like wasps, boxing them into a corner where the Ork artillery couldn't miss.

This time, however, the Crimson Fists brought fire support. A Predator battle tank, Mailed Fist, was blasting Ork vehicles left and right, while ancient Brother Hugo lobbed volley after volley of autocannon fire into the motorized horde. Buggies erupted in fireballs, and the lascannons of Mailed Fist tore into the Ork artillery, cooking off the magazine and sending the flaming wreck of the junk tank into the air.

Even with the Marine fire support, the Orks could not be held back for long. Bonecruncha and a second Ork battlewagon rolled their way towards the Crimson Fist armored column, rolling over squad Kantor's Rhino. The Marines piled out as the hull was crushed under the battlewagon's roller, only to turn around and pour fire into the armored behemoth. The dreadnought Hugo's autocannons ripped into the massive vehicle, smashing through the shields and hitting the gas tank. The earth quaked as the rolling fortress exploded, leaving a gaggle of stunned and wounded Orks in its crater. Pedro led the charge towards the greenskins, and with the zeal and fury of his Sternguard brethren, cut the beasts down.

Uzgob leapt from the deck of Bonecruncha onto the ruddy ground below. He bellowed a challenge to the Space Marine Chapter Master and his Sternuard, the Warboss' own bodyguard in tow. The two commanders charged towards each other, Ork shootas and Marine bolters barking from their respective squads. Metal met flesh and klaws ripped into ceramite as the Sternguard and the Warboss' Mega Armored Nobz came into melee. Losses were heavy on both sides as the army commanders met each other in the middle.

Pedro swung his power fist, denting the gut armor of the warboss and sending a gout of blood out of the beast's mouth. Uzgob struck back, tearing a deep gouge out of Kantor's side. Pedro brought his fist down, smashing the bones in the Warboss' leg and destroying the servos in the Ork's mega armor. Uzgob swung his massive klaw and hit Pedro square in the chest, crushing his armor and knocking him back into the side of one of the Rhinos in the Crimson Fists armored column. His Sternguard fell back to their broken commander and Uzgob laughed triumphantly.

Sergeant Drakken had his driver gun the engine towards his fallen Chapter Master and his Sternguard jumped out of the tank, forming a circle around Kantor. They brought their bolters to bear on the Warboss and his Nobz, unleashing a torrent of Hellfire bolts into them. Armor cracked and flesh burned from the corrosive acids of the specialized ammunition. The Nobz reeled from their wounds, leaving an opening to Uzgob. Drakken aimed down the sights of his bolter and put two rounds into Uzgob's exposed throat, finishing the fight that Kantor started. The Warboss went down as Ork reinforcements approached the site.

While the Sternguard fired into the oncoming Orks, Drakken ducked down next to Kantor, his wounded body leaning against the hull of a Rhino. Drakken put his gauntleted hand up to Kantor's neck, and the sensors in his armor still picked up a pulse. The sergeant bellowed the order to load Kantor into his Rhino and evacuate immediately. The Sternguard fell back, two of them picking up their Chapter Master while the rest of the squad put down covering fire.

With their Chapter Master secure in the armored confines of a Rhino, Drakken ordered a full retreat for the Crimson Fists. With their objective complete and their Master wounded, there was no glory to be had in a vain last stand. As they drove off, Drakken saw the body of Uzgob disappear under the wave of approaching Orks, only to disappear in their passing. Whether the cunning Warboss had escaped death or not was up in the air, but the chapter had more important things to worry about. Even critically wounded, Uzgob would be out of the fight for some time, possibly long enough for the Imperials to push the Orks back.

Days later, Pedro came to in his battle barge's medicae. Sternguard sergeants Drakken and Guera gave him the rundown of the battle's events. Pedro was disturbed that Uzgob's death wasn't confirmed, but glad to be alive nonetheless. However, a distress call from Schindelgheist Secundus came in over the ship's vox. A Chaos incursion has risen in the area, and the aid of the Crimson Fists is desperately needed. With that, Rynn's Fury set off from the orbit of Canopus, abandoning their attack on the Ork-occupied planet, and headed towards Schindelgheist Secundus, the site of their next battle.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Fri May 18, 2012 7:42 pm

First of all, I forgot to bring a camera to this game so I'm using my opponent's pictures with permission. Credit goes to Brutal Legend for the pictures! This is the sixth game in my gaming group's ongoing league, and it sees my Crimson Fists 2nd Company fighting against the Necrons of the Neprekh Dynasty. Deployment is pitched battle, with four objectives. The objectives are the primary goal, with the secondary objective being to kill the opponent's primary HQ and the tertiary to end the game with your HQ in their deployment zone.

Crimson Fists, 2nd Company task force:
- Pedro Kantor
- Sternguard squad Guerra, 9 men with powerfist, Rhino, 2x combi melta
- Sternguard squad Drakken, 10 men with powerfist, Rhino
- Assault Terminator squad Martillo, 3 men with lightning claws, 6 with TH/SS
- Tactical squad Grimm, 10 men with power fist, plasma gun, plasma cannon, Rhino
- Tactical squad Diego, 10 men with power fist, melta, multimelta, Rhino
- Devastator squad Drigo, 10 men with 4x rocket launcher

Neprekh Dynasty
- Imotekh the Stormlord
- Lord on command barge with warscythe
- 2 Canoptek spyders
- 10 Scarab swarms
- 2 Canoptek spyders
- 10 Scarab swarms
- Doomsday Ark
-Ghost Ark
- 20 Warriors
- 10 Warriors with Cryptek
- 10 Immortals with Cryptek

The scenario dictated that he deploy first, so he put his army down. He deployed in a long line, with his heaviest vehicles on the West flank, covering one pack of Spyders and their Scarab kin. The center had the massive 20 man unit of Warriors protecting the Stormlord, and another group of Spyders and Scarabs. The East flank held a smaller group of 10 Warriors, the Immortals, and the command barge. Crimson Fists icons are objectives.

Fearing the wrath of the Doomsday Ark, I packed my entire army up tight on the east flank. I stuck my Assault Terminators in the forest in front of an armor column led by Tactical squad Diego, with my two Sternguard squads following behind in Rhinos and Tactical squad Grimm in the back. Just to the left of the camera are my Devastators, partially hiding behind a tree.

TURN 1
The turn started with the Stormlord declaring it as a nightfight. The Immortals teleported to a point in the East, not entirely too far forward from the Doomsday Ark. The large phalanx of warriors shifted forward, closely supported by their Canoptek Spyders. Shooting sees the Doomsday Ark being too far away to see anything in the dark, and the lightning harmlessly striking nowhere near my army.

Using the dark to my advantage, I rolled my entire army forward. My spotlights couldn't spot anything so my Devastators just sat around bored while my Terminators made some great run rolls.

TURN 2
The Stormlord continues his nightfight, ineffective lightning and all. The central phalanx advances again, and the Scarabs swarm forward towards my Terminators, who are hiding in the trees. The Cryptek in the 20-strong Warriors grants them Relentless, and they can just see my Terminators. They unleash a barrage of gauss fire at them, felling one. The Scarabs swarm around the Terminators in assault. Pedro Kantor's Rhino is within 12" of the squad, granting them +1 attack each due to his Inspiring Presence. This means that my TH/SS Terminators have 3 attacks each at a standstill! The Scarabs take down one Terminator, and the entire swarm of them is smashed to pieces. My Terminators consolidate forward, towards the Necron lines!

It is still nightfight, and my army advances forward yet again. My Terminators get close to the Spyders and Warriors while my Rhinos stay relatively close to them. One Rhino spots the Immortals with its spotlight, letting the Devastators pepper the unit with frag rockets. One automaton falls. Before I assault, the Cryptek (or Stormlord, I don't know these things!) in the Warriors unit uses a special piece of wargear. It makes me take a leadership test on 3D6 or suffer a movement penalty to the assault. I fail the test and my assault move drops to 4 inches! Fortunately, that's enough for the Terminators of Martillo's squad:
Combat is bloody, and sees two Terminators falling to the Tomb Spyders and Warriors. However, the Warriors take heavy casualties and are forced to fall back, while the Spyders are severely wounded and die from No Retreat! wounds. The Terminators consolidate within 6" of the Warrior phalanx. Pedro and his buddies hold the center objectives.

TURN 3
With the Stormlord's Necrons too close to Terminator squad Martillo, they can not regroup. The Warriors and their overlords retreat off the table. The command barge starts swooping out, and the remaining Spyders, Scarabs, and Doomsday Ark all hover over to the Terminators.
The Immortals also veil over to my Devastators:
Shooting sees the Annihilation Barge's massive S9 AP2 gun wounding three of my Terminators, only for all three to make their invulnerable saves. However, sundry other fire kills two. The Immortals, back in my line, gun down one bolter Marine and Sergeant Drigo from the Devastator squad. The scarabs assault my Terminators, and while one Terminator dies the Scarabs take heavy losses. The melee holds though, and my Terminators are for the time being locked in hand to hand. Elsewhere, the Command Barge swoops over a rhino and destroys it.

Due to the threat of Immortals in my deployment area, I pull back one of my Sternguard squads, squad Drakken, to assault them. They and the Terminators are within the 12" inspiring bubble of Pedro Kantor, and are all getting bonus attacks. Squad Grimm moves East in their Rhino, hoping to sneak around and cut off the Canoptek Spyders. Squad Diego disembarks from their Rhino and moves forward, just within charging distance of the remaining 10 Warriors. Unfortunately, they are out of Pedro's area of influence, and will suffer from fewer attacks this turn. The Devastators and Pedro's Sternguard bounce shots off the Command Barge's shielding. Assault sees Drakken's Sternguard charging in and wiping the Immortals out in a sweeping advance. The Terminators cut down the remaining Scarabs and move towards the Canoptek Spyders. Unfortunately, Diego's Tactical squad fares very poorly, taking heavy losses and inflicting few against the Necron Warriors. Morale holds.

TURN 4
The remaining units in the army pour as much fire on the Terminators as possible, downing all but one lightning claw Terminator. The Command Barge swoops over Kantor's Rhino, destroying it and putting the barge in Necron territory.
Assault continues with squad Diego holding firm but doing little in return against the Warriors.

So about that command barge.
A storm of missiles flies out from the Devastators in the backfield and a shell goes up the command barge's tailpipe. The hovercraft crashes down, leaving the bewildered Necron pilot on foot. Pedro's Sternguard load up on Hellfire rounds and put the hurt on the Canoptek Spyders. Grimm's tactical squad rolls up nearby and puts a plasma bolt or two into the monstrous creatures, leaving one dead, and the other wounded. The remaining assault Terminator rushes in and cuts it to pieces with his lightning claws. He consolidates towards the Necron Lord.

TURN 5
The Lord retreats into his crater, hoping to get the drop on the approaching assault Terminator. The Doomsday Ark blows up Grimm's Rhino, leaving its cargo unharmed. The Annihilation Barge peppers my lone assault Terminator with fire, bouncing off his ceramite armor. Up north the battle with Tactical squad Diego's surviving members rages on as the Fists are cut down to a mere three Marines.

Pedro Kantor sees the Necron Lord hiding out in his crater up north. He jumps into a Rhino and drives up 6" before leaning out the side, holding Dorn's Arrow sideways, and gunning down the Lord in an avalanche of bolter shells. Devastators immobilize the Annihilation Barge and the assault up north continues as usual, with Pedro's influence giving the Marines a whopping 6 attacks, none of which do anything. Squad Grimm runs back towards an objective lying in the trees to the East.

I roll to see if the game ends, and it does. The Crimson Fists hold three of the four objectives, achieving their primary objective. They also killed both Necron HQs, and got Pedro into the Necron deployment zone. Victory goes to the Crimson Fists!

I'll have to say my MVPs this game were the assault Terminators. This was my first time using them, and holy crap did they take a beating and dish one back out. I got lucky quite a few times, but these guys are insane. I also can't underestimate Pedro's Inspiring Presence. All units within 12" get +1 attack per model, which means that on the charge those Sternguard were charging Immortals with 4 attacks per man! This was also my first time playing against Necrons in their new codex, and while I was initially worried I found my old strategy still worked: Charge! Thanks again to Brutal Legend for taking the pictures as I forgot my camera that night, and for the good game!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Today marked the 7th game in the league, and my second battle against Necrons. This was against Mike instead of Jon, but once again I forgot my camera and once again I used the same list! The mission had three objectives: Primary was to get more killpoints, secondary was to kill all of your opponent's Elite, Fast Attack or Heavy Support (whichever was most numerous), and Tertiary was to kill their army commander. Here's what the lists looked like, probably slightly innacurate since I still don't quite know what Necron stuff is or does:
Crimson Fists, 2nd Company task force:
- Pedro Kantor
- Sternguard squad Guerra, 9 men with powerfist, Rhino, 2x combi melta
- Sternguard squad Drakken, 10 men with powerfist, Rhino
- Assault Terminator squad Martillo, 3 men with lightning claws, 6 with TH/SS
- Tactical squad Grimm, 10 men with power fist, plasma gun, plasma cannon, Rhino
- Tactical squad Diego, 10 men with power fist, melta, multimelta, Rhino
- Devastator squad Drigo, 10 men with 4x rocket launcher

Forces of the Great Corrupter, Nybbas Mallear
- Lord with warscythe, 3++, mindshackle scarabs
- Destroyer Lord with warscythe, mindhshackle scarabs
- 10 Immortals with Cryptek with AP1 leadership flamer thing
- 5 Warriors with Cryptek with lance
- 16 Warriors with Lord with mindshackle scarabs
- 3 Heavy Destroyers
- 2 Tomb Spyders, one has a prism
- 3 scarab swarm bases
- 6 Wraiths with whip coils and wound allocation dickery

Now, due to our position late in the league, we've both accomplished various special objectives that have given us special bonuses.
Crimson Fists:
- One die (or set of dice for an LD test) may be rerolled per game
- One unit may be given Furious Charge
- One unit may be given Preferred Enemy, either in shooting or close combat

Necrons:
- D3 units may deep strike, and when they do they only scatter 1d6
- One free C'tan
- 5 free Flayed Ones, which may be upgraded as per your points allowance

This was going to be a tough one! Deployment looked like this:
The Tomb Stalker, C'tan and Flayed ones stayed in reserve to Deep Strike.

We're all deployed, he fails to seize, and the Crimson Fists have first turn!
TURN 1
I move everything up. My Devastators fail to wound anything. Pedro calls down an orbital bombardment on the Immortals and it scatters off. It's hit once over the course of this entire league!
The advance:

The Wraiths, curiously, stay put. The rest of the army moves around then shoots at the Terminators. Warriors, Crypteks, Destroyers and Immortals open fire, and one goes down.
[img]http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/6/11/376161_md-.jpg[url]
End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 2
I shoot krak rockets at the Destroyers and mostly fail to wound again. One manages to go down. Everything else advances, including Pedro who sat back last turn to miss with his orbital bombardment.

The C'tan shows up, deep striking behind my devastator squad. The Tomb Spyders spawn some Scarabs, but one hurts itself in doing so. The Warriors and Immortals open up on the Terminators, and four go down. The 6 Warriors in the bunker manage to immobilize and disarm the Rhino my plasma tac squad is riding in. The Scarabs charge the melta Rhino, reducing it to AV8. The Wraiths assault the assault Terminators, and I fail to wound with Thunder Hammers, leaving one Terminator surviving. Things look a lot brighter from the Necron side:

TURN 3
Pedro Kantor and his 19 Sternguard prepare to stage a daring rescue of their Terminator comrade!
The plasma cannon from the tactical squad drops four Immortals, and the Devastators drop one more, once again failing to wound with strength 8 weapons... 2 of them get back up. The melta tac squad shoots out the hatch of their Rhino, vaping two Scarab swarms and wounding another with the aid of their Rhino's stormbolter. Finally, the Sternguard charge. Pedro's Sternguard have Preferred Enemy, but only in shooting thanks to the campaign special rule. Welp. The other squad has Furious Charge though, and with Pedro's +1 attack radius, the Sternguard have the odds on their side! The Destroyer Lord tries his mindshackle scarabs on my lone assault Terminator, but his faith is strong! He then proceeds to hammer the Lord into scrap metal. The Crimson Fists win combat 7 wounds to 3, and the four Fearless wounds see two more Wraiths go down. End of the turn looked like this:

The Tomb Stalker and the Flayed Ones drop in! One Flayed One dies as it scatters into difficult terrain. The other Spyder wounds itself as it spawns more Scarabs while the mess of Warriors prepare for a counter assault. Shooting is inconsequential, as the plasma Rhino's armor deflects gauss and lance shots. The C'tan charges the Devastators and kills one Marine in exchange for a wound. The Scarabs charge the Melta Rhino, bring it down to AV1, then auto-pen it and explode it. One Marine dies and one Scarab is wounded. Finally, the Warriors charge in and join the central melee. The fighting is brutal:
The Warrior Lord uses his Mindshackle Scarabs to try and control a power fist, but randomly controls some random Sternguard guy instead. His faith is strong and he passes his morale. The fight goes horribly for the Crimson Fists, causing only a wound to a Spyder, a single dead Warrior, and a single dead Wraith while losing 12 Sternguard in return. I once again can't wound with a power fist, but those low rolls come in handy for the leadership test to stay in the fight!
*The Warriors were engaged with a unit that no longer exists, even though they were part of the assault. They can now act freely and independently. ~*The more you know*~

TURN 4
Time for glory! My two mobile Rhinos tank shock the Flayed Ones, and the second drives them back, breaking their morale! The plasma tac squad vapes two more Immortals, as the Rhino's engine guns back up again. The unwillingly dismounted melta tac squad opens up on the Scarabs, slaying 4 bases. We get back to assault and the C'tan takes a wound and kills one more bolter guy. With the assault down to just the Spyders, Wraith, and Sternguard, it's the Necrons' turn to fail wounding! Pedro and his boys wipe the opposition, and consolidate a tired 2 inches.

Unfortunately, now my most valuable troops are out in the open! The Immortals gun away at Pedro and his Sternguard, but their faith (and power armor) shields them. The Warriors in the bunker ace the last Terminator. Assault sees the other Warriors mob into the Sternguard. The Sternguard kill 3 and lose 2. The Lord tries to use his mindshackle scarabs on Pedro, but thanks to my one reroll I'm able to roll under his leadership! Pedro swings his fist and wounds the Lord once. Once again, you'll sense a theme with my S8 weapons here. Elsewhere, the Scarabs charge the plasma Rhino and wreck it, pinning the squad inside when I need them the most! Lastly, the Tomb Stalker charges one of the Rhinos chasing the Flayed Ones, exploding it.
Forgot to get a picture this turn!

TURN 5
The melta tac squad finally finishes the Scarabs off. My Rhino keeps chasing the Flayed Ones and tries to gun down an Immortal, but fails to. The C'tan finally overcomes my Devastators, forcing them to fall back off the table, but not before taking his third wound in as many rounds of combat. Between mindshackle scarabs and other junk, Pedro and his Sternguard get knocked down to their last man:
PS: He doesn't wound anyone with his powerfist.

I should've popped smoke! The Destroyers kill my last Rhino. The Immortals kill a Marine from the melta squad, while the Warriors in the bunker kill two more. Assault sees the Sternguard sergeant failing to do anything but die, but the C'tan charges the melta tactical squad. He is once again trounced by the butt of a bolter and takes his fourth and final wound. He kills 1 Marine before exploding and killing three more. The Tomb Stalker charges the pinned plasma tac squad and wins 3-2. Marines pass morale though.
Forgot to take another picture!

We roll to see if the game ends and it keeps going.

TURN 6
My two remaining men from the melta squad move up to charge the Immortals. They shoot and miss with both shots, then charge and miss with all their attacks. Immortals do nothing back to them. The fight with the Tomb Stalker sees nothing happen, only for it to Hit and Run away, 11 inches in a straight line. I consolidate my tac squad 6" away, through dangerous terrain. One Marine dies from that. End of the turn looked like this:

The Flayed Ones regroup! The Warriors tried to pursue, but couldn't reach my tactical squad through the ruined Rhino. So close!
The Scarab charged them, killing two, but the Marines passed their morale. The Destroyers join the Immortals and kill my powerfist before it can [s]miss[/s] strike, receiving no wounds in return. End of the turn looked like this:

My opponent rolls to see if the game ends and it does!
Primary objective goes to the Necrons, getting 9 killpoints to my 5.
Secondary objective goes to the Necrons, killing all my Elites choices while still having their own special stuff.
Tertiary objective goes to the Necrons, killing my commander and still having their own.

My biggest failure this game had to be my dice. I'm not one to typically blame my dice, but almost every time I hit something with a powerfist I would fail to wound it. My S4 hits were very good - those killed a C'tan even! My armor and invuln saves were even above average. But thunder hammers, powerfists, and krak rockets couldn't do a damn thing, which is a problem since they're supposed to do the heavy lifting in my army. My tactics weren't perfect either - I definitely fell into that big trap in the middle with his wraiths, but I couldn't resist an assault with all 20 of my Sternguard! I should have given them Preferred Enemy for close combat instead of shooting, but what are you gonna do. Finally, I found that I really don't like mindshackle scarabs. I was able to roll low enough to get past them most of the time, but I hate losing attacks; let alone losing all of them to hit my own guys. It was a fun game though, and it was much more of a learning experience than my last game against Necrons.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique