End of league thoughts (Vraks Renegade list)

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

End of league thoughts (Vraks Renegade list)

Postby the_trooper » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:18 am

So the list I've been running since about game 2 is as follows:
Code: Select all

HQ:
CCS:
Plasma pistol / powersword on commander
Chaos banner (reroll ld tests in a bubble)
Voxcaster (to reroll the random ld)
Lascannon team

Heavy Weapons Squads:
2 x 3 lascannons

Advisors:
Psycher
Enforcer w/ power weapon, meltabombs
Priest w/ evicerator

Elites:
5 Berserker Ogryn w/ 1 power weapon

Troops:
30 worker rabble (mutants) w/ 3 flamers (this is where all the advisors go)

PCS:
Voxcaster
Autocannon

platoons:
4 platoon squads w/ autocannon
1 platoon squad w/ autocannon, voxcaster

PCS:
Voxcaster
Missile launcher

platoons:
4 platoon squads w/ missile launcher
1 platoon squad w/ missile launcher, voxcaster

Heavy Support:
2 x Leman Russ MBT w/ Lascannon hull

For quick reference, here is the list: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA5_RH.pdf
I've only really been playing this list / army here as well, I've really only been happy with how the tanks are coming along until this league.

I fell ok about the list but I keep feeling like it's missing something. Maybe it's just inherent to the gunline guard but my dedicated melee can't stand up to *real* dedicated melee units and even with all the guns, it just seems like mediocre shooting at best.

I'm building a squad of alpha legion for the list and looking at other options. Model wise, I have pretty much every option modeled and painted or on the block being modeled / converted. So all options are on the table. (Hell, I even have 3 of those fucking sabre defense platforms lolwut)

It just seems "torrent of fire" plan only works so well and even then in only specific situations.

Thoughts on how to make this a bit more all-comers / not collapse at the sight of melee?
"I don't actually play Warhammer, I just talk about how awesome it is when I do play. You know, like BMW drivers and sex."
the_trooper

Postby Exokan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Use the Khorne Version and grab some 'Zerks?

But seriously, its an old school guard list... it's gonna always fold in assault. The single solid 'assault phase' squad are the Ogryn so I suppose you could double up on them. That or stack as many Enforcers/Priests into a squad so you can hide 4-5 powerfists behind 20+ wounds and pray for a solid Leadership roll at the begining of the game...
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 pm

It just seems "torrent of fire" plan only works so well and even then in only specific situations.

Keep in mind that last night would have been completely different if you could have rolled anything besides a 8(roughly) 1's for vehicle effects...

That list really has no dedicated killers for HTH. You've got the Ogryn, and they're great for killing "hordes" - Gaunts, Orks, Blobs but against anything truly tough, and I generally mean Marine, they're going to struggle... GK termies, TH/SS termies, Thunderwolves, etc will typicallt rip you up.

I looked at that list briefly in an attempt to duplicate my old LATD list and never really could. I didn't really look at the list on it's own merits to see what could be done with it.

My general feeling is exactly what Mike said... that there's clear limits to the list and only so much it can do. Still, it'll hang with most average lists but against really tough ones... meh.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:52 pm

what LGM said.

Blob guard can be effective with tons of hidden shit and the ability to use wave after wave.

don't just sit and get crumped... you have to move forward with some of the shit and speed bump...

less effective with orders, more effective with Rogryn (from Forgeworld).

I like most of your list.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique