Fun with Allies

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Fun with Allies

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 am

So... I want to see lists people have come up with using the new Allies rules... whatever you think is fun, fluffy, overpowered, underpowered, WAAC'd, whacked, or basically whatever.

I've been tinkering around with this one to get my Space Wolf Leman Russ Exterminator back... Wolves with some Fang Guard!

Wolf Guard Battle Leader (205pts)
Frost Weapon, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf, Saga of the Warrior Born

Rune Priest (100pts)
BP/FW, Living Lightning, Storm Caller

10x Grey Hunters (200pts)
Flamer, Plasma, Fist, Wolf Standard, MOTW

10x Grey Hunters (190pts)
Flamer, Melta, Fist, MOTW

9x Grey Hunters (215pts)
Melta, Fist, MOTW, Drop Pod

3x Wolf Guard (114pts)
Bolters and Powerfists

3x Thunderwolf Cavalry (205pts)
Storm Shield, Power Fist

6x Long Fangs (140pts)
Missle Launchers

Aegis Defense Line w/ Icarus Lascannon (85pts)

Company Command (180pts)
3 Plasmaguns, Medipack, Chimera

Veteran Squad (175pts)
Flamer, 2 Plasma, Missle Launcher, Chimera

Leman Russ Exterminator (190pts)
Sponson HBs, Camo Netting

What's everyone else looking at?
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 am

I don't have the points worked out yet but basically my normal Black Legion units with IG (Renegades) buddies:

HQ:
Primaris Psyker
and/or
Lord Commmisar

Troops:
Infantry Platoon with:
Cokmand Squad (plasma gun), banner, vox
10 man vox, plasma gun, lascannon
10 man vox, melta gun, autocannon

heavy Weapons team with all lascannon or all autocannon

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Battle Tank with HB hull mount and sponsons with Heavy Stubber.

HQ selection depends on the list size. At 2000 I can have two allied HQs. For regular games the Primaris Psyker seems like a lot of fun 9and could be the key to the renegades fall, but the Lord Commisar almost seems like a no brainer sadly. How necessary is he to keep units in line? Maybe with only these few units to worry about the LC won't be as necessary.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

I've got a handful of Arbites and I think they'd look great allied with my Valhallans as a Sisters of Battle counts-as army. I don't have the points worked out either, but I'd like to run a squad of them in a Rhino, a counts-as Uriah Jacobus attached to one of my large Valhallan blobs for the rerolls on the charge and FnP, and then a counts-as Exorcist riot response tank. I'm contemplating mounting the Dwarf organ gun on a Rhino for it, but it's still a half baked idea. Maybe it was the older kit or something else entirely, but I remember some wheeled gun in Fantasy that was three sets of 4 cannons each or something along those lines; that'd make a cool Exorcist turret with some work.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 am

Gun sounds like a Hellblaster Volley gun from the empire range... and I kind of like the idea of doing Arbites counting as sisters... kind of a neat spin.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am

Canonesses are cheap. So are priests. I'm thinking mixing them into a Marines army would be a good bet.

Or alternately, a squad of Devastators and a Thunderfire cannon in a Sisters list, though then I'm limited in how many Exorcists or Penitent Engines I can take.

If you have two detachments, can each of them have a different ally?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby SRM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 am

Thunderjaw wrote:Gun sounds like a Hellblaster Volley gun from the empire range... and I kind of like the idea of doing Arbites counting as sisters... kind of a neat spin.

That's what I was thinking of! I don't speak squarebase.
afeinman wrote:Canonesses are cheap. So are priests. I'm thinking mixing them into a Marines army would be a good bet.

Or alternately, a squad of Devastators and a Thunderfire cannon in a Sisters list, though then I'm limited in how many Exorcists or Penitent Engines I can take.

If you have two detachments, can each of them have a different ally?

Well, allies take up their own modified FoC, so if you take allied Marines with a dev squad or Tfire that works just fine without limiting your Exorcist access. And yeah, two detachments at 2000+ points can have different allies.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 am

So... to take the 2nd Ally detachment you'd have to take the double force org chart at 2000... which means you now need 2 HQ and 4 troops for the primary detachment, AND two HQ and two troops from each Allied detachment before you can take heavies like the Devs and the Thunderfire...

That's a lot of points...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 am

Thunderjaw wrote:So... to take the 2nd Ally detachment you'd have to take the double force org chart at 2000... which means you now need 2 HQ and 4 troops for the primary detachment, AND two HQ and two troops from each Allied detachment before you can take heavies like the Devs and the Thunderfire...

That's a lot of points...

Yes, but think of the possibilities!

I think it works better for armies where the HQs and Troops are the meat and potatoes, like Grey Knights, or cheap, like Witchhunters or Guard. Who'd want to have to take extra Eldar troops?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby stormboy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am

I love the idea for allies - but unless I actually finish all of the detail work on my Dark Angels - I really struggle for any application.

I know Orks can ally with lots of folks - but I am not a huge fan of Orks fighting side by side with many folks. Sure they are hired guns and all - but typically Orks fight and when the fighting is done they fight the people they are allied with. So everyone knows not to fight with Orks. The Chaos/Ork combo seems a bit forced - and a bunch of guard (while a super cool throwback to olden times) would probably shoot Orks just as much as they shot anyone else.

Because I love the idea of allies, I have been thinking about pulling out the Dark Angels. They could ally with guard or codex marines or sisters. That would be pretty cool. Mitigate the overcost Deathwing with a huge blob of guard (and it would be an excuse to get the awesome Tallarn FW Rough Riders that I really love!).
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby afeinman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:12 am

Guard, with a Ravenwing squadron and a Deathwing squad swooping in, sounds pretty cool. And of course you have to take the Jetbike dude.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby stormboy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

afeinman wrote:Guard, with a Ravenwing squadron and a Deathwing squad swooping in, sounds pretty cool. And of course you have to take the Jetbike dude.

Him.... I guess. I sold all of my Ravenwing models a while ago and may need to go pick up a bunch again. I can afford to sell half of my Deathwing and still field a 2,000 point army. So I expect a bunch of stuff to hit ebay.

I just pulled the bag of Dark Angels out of the basement. It might actually be time to do some work on them and complete the few weeks* worth of work that they have left.

*few weeks really means a few months - but if I just focused on them a few weeks would be about right....
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby timd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Jack, if you're moving Deathwing stuff, please let me know before you hit eBay. Between allies, the rumored new Codex, and the introduction of army painter into my life, I too pulled my Deathwing out of the basement the other night.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby SRM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

stormboy wrote:I love the idea for allies - but unless I actually finish all of the detail work on my Dark Angels - I really struggle for any application.

I know Orks can ally with lots of folks - but I am not a huge fan of Orks fighting side by side with many folks. Sure they are hired guns and all - but typically Orks fight and when the fighting is done they fight the people they are allied with. So everyone knows not to fight with Orks. The Chaos/Ork combo seems a bit forced - and a bunch of guard (while a super cool throwback to olden times) would probably shoot Orks just as much as they shot anyone else.

Because I love the idea of allies, I have been thinking about pulling out the Dark Angels. They could ally with guard or codex marines or sisters. That would be pretty cool. Mitigate the overcost Deathwing with a huge blob of guard (and it would be an excuse to get the awesome Tallarn FW Rough Riders that I really love!).

This is why you need to kitbash some Grots and Fantasy Goblins with Imperial Guard bits to make the best counts-as IG Grot Rebellion army ever.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Exokan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

I too have a tough time finding a use for allies right now. Necrons are a no go, I don't care what anyone says..., I really, really, don't understand the Tau-Marine thing and while I could incorporate Guard into my Tau list (and have some Gue'vesa auxiliaries) I'd need to convert a ton of guard models.

The closest thing I have going for Allies is my Daemonhunters, Ad Mech & Death Korp. Interestingly enough it doesn't let me do Death Korp is Main Forge Org and Admech as my ally... It's a scrabbling between the two. (Company Command is Ad Mech command, but troops are Death Korp w/Commisar, & Skitarii commander is Coteaz w/ Henchmen & servitors with Big Boy being an evisor. Wicked messy, and more 'counts as' than 'allied with'.)

We'll see.
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby afeinman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:37 pm

I could see Tau and Marines allying out in the deep reaches of Tau space, uniting against a Tyranid foe.

Can't see them as Battle Brothers, though, not unless there's some sort of fluff change coming in the new codex. "Aun'va, having visited Terra, mind-controlled the Chapter Masters of three Space Marine chapters with his pheremones..."
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Next

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique