Slowpoke News--Necrons Are Good Battle Report (Sorta)

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Slowpoke News--Necrons Are Good Battle Report (Sorta)

Postby timd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 am

So last night, for the first time since I played one game of Eldar as an 11 year old, I played a game of 40K where I wasn't using Marines. I tried out my Necrons I bought from Matt last fall for the first time. It was the most fun I've ever had playing 40K. Between the new edition, which I love, and playing something new and exciting and different and not in power armor, it was an awesome experience.

Brian brought his Blood Angels, and we played 1250.

I don't own any of the new stuff, so my list was an older style list:

HQ-Destoyer Lord, Res Orb
Troops- 10 Man Necron Warrior Unit
Elites- 5 Man Deathmark Unit
Fast- 5 Man Wraith Unit, Whip Coils
Fast- 4 Man Destoyer Unit, One Heavy Upgrade
Heavy-Monolith

Brian brought:
HQ- Librarian
Troops- 10 Man Tac Squad, Melta Missile, Power Fist
Troops- 10 Man Tac Squad, Missile, Power Fist
Troops- 10 Man Assault Squad
Troops- 5 Man Scout Squad with Sniper Rifles
Fast- 3 Attack Bikes, 2 Heavy Bolters, one Multi Melta
Fast- Speeder, Heavy Bolter
Fast(?)- Stormtalon Gunship

We had the diagonal set-up shit going, and mission number 5, and Brian deployed first, placing his models as best he could to avoid the Monolith. He sat his Librarian and a combat squad on an objective behind a ruin, with another combat squad in the ruin for support, and a third the next ruin over. His final combat squad was on the other side of the board.

I rolled the Outflanking trait for my Destoyer Lord and his unit, so I held them in reserve to outflank. I also kept back my Wraiths and Deathmarks, deploying on my monolith right in his face and the three Warrior units all in a ruin sitting on an objective.

I didn't take any notes, and some horrible luck on Brian's part made the game very one-sided. But there were a few highlights and observations:

-The Monolith's ability to just bounce guys around is wild. I set all my Necrons up in the ruin to counter his cautious set up (he was daring me to come for him), and put my Monolith on the other side of the deployment zone. He had nothing to counter it, so it just puttered along bombarding Marines until it dumped a full unit of Warriors right near his objective.

-Being able to use the Monolith to pull a unit out of Reserves turn one was cool. I brought in the Wraiths, who got into combat on turn 2 with the Scouts and cleared them away from firing on my Warriors.

-Wraiths are really fucking good.

-The Stormtalon gunship is also really fucking good. I had no way to counter it and that bastard just messed with my shit all night.

-My Deathmarks deep-struck about 10 inches from his Librarian unit, scattered so they were 3 inches from them, declared the Librarian as their target, lit up the squad, killed 3 guys, forced a check, the Marines failed the check, and ran 7 inches off the board. It played out perfectly for me, but damn Brian had some bad luck on those rolls.

-The Destoyer Unit outflanked the far board edge, and I thought they were gonna prove useless. Instead, they smoked a combat squad of tac marines, then went and cleared out a combat squad of assault marines trying to contest my ruin objective.

-Brian did that thing where the Stormtalon drops out assault marines while it flies. That was really cool. They dropped out, but unfortunately scattered out of the ruin. Brian ran them back into the ruin and upstairs. I unloaded with a unit of warriors, forced a check, which they failed. They ran out of the ruin, and basically right into the Destoryer Lord and his unit, who drank their milkshake.

Combat wise, the game was totally one-sided. I think I lost 8 models, max. Brian ended the game with only his Stormtalon. But that doesn't reflect how close it got. He was real close to a cheap win, but just couldn't kill that one unit of Deathmarks in hand-to-hand who were contesting his objective. Those guys just crushed it all game. Wouldn't give up, made 4 Reanimation rolls, and took out a full unit of Tac Marines and a Librarian on their own.

Overall it was a lotta fun. There were some bad luck swings both ways (Destoyer Lord whiffed in CC one round), but Brian had horrid luck at the beginning and on the last turn. It was awesome to switch things up for once and play something new. I really like this army. I was planning on starting on my Guard when I finish my Fists, but I don't know anymore. I may instead buy a couple new Necron units and get those going instead. Lots to think about.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby Exokan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:37 pm

Glad you're enjoying the 'Crons. I think they're one of the more tactically interesting armies in the game, kinda like how Tau were when they first came out back in 3rd edition.

You I'm surprised you did so well against Blood Angels... even with the nerf Feel-No-Pain is a bitch and a half. All of a sudden all those great Warrior guns are doing a whole lot of nothing (instead of a bit of something) and you do not want to get into combat with the Twilight Marines...

Wraiths are amazing. I'm surprised you equipped them like you did. In a squad of 6 I generally find 3 whips to be enough. Then the DLord can Watch Out Sir! to the unequipped guys in the back row.

Never used Deathmarks but with Snipers getting a nice boost I am interested (Rending, Precision, and Pinning?)

I'm surprised by the normal Destroyer unit. I know they're not amazing anymore but they're another unit I'd like to try... it's just too bad they compete with Heavy Destroyers, Scarabs, & most importantly Wraiths.

Get an Overlord and a court, and suddenly you'll realize how interesting and Dynamic the new rules are.

Go for the Crons!
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby timd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Exokan wrote:Never used Deathmarks but with Snipers getting a nice boost I am interested (Rending, Precision, and Pinning?)

They're cool. They kicked ass last night, but really could have gone the other way very easily. Deep Striking Rapid Firing Sniper rifles that wound on 2+ against a specific target is sweet. Especially with the errata that lets them get 2+ against a character and any unit he is attached to as well. I didn't get to try out their intercept move, because Brian had nothing arrive turn 2, and then they came right in, but that's an aspect they bring that I find especially neat.

Exokan wrote:I'm surprised by the normal Destroyer unit. I know they're not amazing anymore but they're another unit I'd like to try... it's just too bad they compete with Heavy Destroyers, Scarabs, & most importantly Wraiths.

They surprised me a lot. They're guns are sick against Marines, but 1 wound a piece hurts a lot. If it weren't for the 4+ RePro from the Lord, things may have gone a little differently with them. Really maneuverable though, which is nice.

Exokan wrote:Get an Overlord and a court, and suddenly you'll realize how interesting and Dynamic the new rules are.

Can't wait to try this. Also looking forward to the flyer. Heard it's awesome.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique