Valhallans vs. Chaos - 1850 points [pics]

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Valhallans vs. Chaos - 1850 points [pics]

Postby SRM » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:50 pm

I got a game in with Fred last night at the game club, and luckily we were able to dig out the snow table! I've been dying to play on this table since I started my Valhallans, and I was really stoked to finally get a game in on it! Mind you I don't know Daemons terribly well, so I'm probably missing a thing or two here. For one, we forgot Daemons cause Fear, so that never came into effect throughout the entire game. We also forgot mysterious objectives come to think of it! Anyway, here are the lists:
Valhallan 32nd Rifles:
- CCS with MoO, lascannon, company standard
- PCS with 4 flamers
- 31 man blob with power sword, power axe, melta x3, Commissar with power axe
- PCS with 4 grenade launchers
- 31 man blob with power sword, power axe, melta x3, Commissar with power sword
- SWS with 3x sniper rifles
- HWS with mortars
- HWS with heavy bolters
- HWS with lascannons
- Basilisk x2 in a squadron
- LRBT with lascannon x2 in a squadron
Elements of Crimson Fists 2nd Company:
- Space Marine Librarian
- 5 man tactical squad with combi-plasma
- Razorback with lascannon

Forces of Tzeentch:
- Lord of Change with Daemonic Gaze
- 6 Screamers of Tzeentch
- 6 Flamers of Tzeentch with Blue Scribes
- 9 Horrors with bolt of change
- 9 Horrors with bolt of change
- 5 Horrors with bolt of change
- Soulgrinder with Phlegm, Harvester Cannon, DCCW x2
Chaos Marine contingent:
- Sorceror with Terminator armor, Inferno (some pyromancy small blast spell?) and bolt of change
- 10 Chaos Space Marines with lascannon, champion, icon of Chaos glory
- 2 Obliterators

For our mission we rolled Big Guns Never Tire (d3+2 objectives, Heavy Support scores as well as troops) with 3 objectives, and deployment was Dawn of War. Two objectives wound up on my side and accessible, while one went behind the landing pad. We rolled for Warlord traits and he got one that let him reroll reserves rolls while I got one that let me reroll 1s on attacks at enemy models near objectives. He won the rolloff and had me deploy first. My deployment looked like this:
I deployed in a close 2-flank setup with my tanks, lascannons, and CCS anchoring down the middle, while my right flank held my Basilisks and snipers. A blob was on each flank as well, with a PCS in tow. The Marines were all in their Razorback on the left, as a sort of mobile reserve.
His deployment looked like this:
Colonel Petrovik stood in the center of his battle line, filled with pride at the sight of so many men, so many guns, and so much bravery on this icy front. After years of fighting in desolate cities, sweltering savannas and rolling grasslands, it was comforting to be back on frozen ground. While Phendrana wasn't quite their homeworld of Valhalla, it was familiar enough to every man on the line. The spaceport here was critical for commerce and military actions in the area. Word had spread of figures in sinister, crimson power armor skulking in the trees, committing unholy rituals and butchering outlying villages. Petrovik knew the situaton was serious when Librarian Marco and a bodyguard of Space Marines from the Crimson Fists chapter were attached to his company.
The men of Valhalla had their orders...
... and they would win!

My opponent rolled to seize the initiative and got a 6! We also rolled and it would be nightfight for the first turn.
A dark miasma covered the battlefield as Chaos magicks went into effect. Visibility was minimal, and the Guard could hardly see their hands in front of their faces, let alone the Tzeentchian evils that were tearing out of the warp and into realspace...
The flamers dropped behind some rocks in the center and ran behind them for concealment. The screamers dropped behind the barricade and ran to get far enough from the objective that I wouldn't be getting my rerolls to hit them thanks to my warlord trait. The Soulgrinder dropped behind the spaceport, and the Chaos Marine units moved up. Some lascannon shots were fired at my Basilisks, but cover, boosted by nightfight rules, kept them safe. End of the turn looked like this:

Through the purple mist, figures were beginning to appear. They were heinous, twisted, and their silhouettes were absolutely sickening to behold. Trooper Konrad dropped his lasgun and started vomiting uncontrollably on the ground, as did a number of the weaker-willed Guardsmen. Petrovik felt his stomach turn, but kept his resolve as he ordered his men forward.
The Commissars kept the soldiers under control as they observed the general advance, and observed that they follow the orders of their officers to the letter.
I advanced my infantry blobs to get in some rapid fire shots. I also moved the Marine Razorback up the left flank with the intent to hit the Soulgrinder in the rear armor and/or take the objective over there. With the Soulgrinder outside of 36" for the time being, I turned my lascannons towards the Obliterators. FoMT didn't help much, since my lascannons couldn't hit anyway! The one that did get through was saved by the 2+ cover from both nightfight concealment and the barricade the Oblits were behind. My right flank PCS ordered the 30-man blob to FRFSRF on the screamers, putting down something like 59 lasgun shots on them. Three of them were gunned down, while a wound was put down on a fourth from my sniper team. My left flank did the same with the flamers, but were only able to down one and wound another. I also turned my Leman Russes on the Daemons:
Unfortunately all they did was look cool and make a lot of noise. I also called my Basilisks in on the CSM squad behind the trees; the nightfight concealment wasn't enough for the few of them out in the open, and the shots landed on target! Five Marines were blasted, including the icon bearer and the lascannon! End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 2
Reality bent as more Daemons birthed themselves from the Warp.
His flamers advanced towards my left blob while the screamers moved in towards my Leman Russes. The Lord of Change drops near the Soulgrinder, planning on going airborne next turn, along with the five-man squad of Horrors near that objective while a nine-man squad drops on the landing pad.
The sickening, man-yet-not-man shaped creatures bounded towards the Valhallans, spewing flames from every angle. Men collapsed either in pools of their own sick or engulfed in unholy flames. The only thing keeping the platoon in order were the shouted threats of the Commissar and the steely resolve of the men left standing.
The flamers and the Blue Scribes burned down 10 of my Guardsmen; not as bad as I was expecting, but still a nasty blow to the squad. The Soulgrinder shot its phlegm at my lascannon teams, killing two bases of them. Obliterators morphed a pair of lascannons at the Leman Russ squadron, but neither shot managed to get through the armor. The sorceror advanced with the Chaos Marines, and tried to cast his fireball spell. He rolled an 11 for the psychic test, failing it, and the bolters of the Marines either missed or failed to wound. Lascannons and the left blob made morale tests, and both held. My opponent forgets to assault with his screamers, but he rolls just to see what would have happened if he did; he rolled a 7, which put him about an inch and a half out of charge range of the tanks. End of the turn looked like this:

"Stand to!" bellowed Commissar Stinovik as the men of his wounded platoon gathered themselves up in the face of the Daemons before them. "Ranks!" Came another order from their platoon commander. "First rank, FIRE! Second rank, FIRE!" and with that, the troopers formed up and unleashed a fusillade of lasfire into the unholy abominations. After ten seconds of sustained fire, there was no trace of any of the monsters, save the charred corpses of the Guardsmen around them.
My Guardsmen continued their general advance, and after a 61-shot FRFSRF the left side blob brought down the flamers. The right side blob did the same, and were able to take down one of the two Obliterators while taking the objective. I go in for a cool picture of my Razorback but forget to do anything with it:
The snipers and heavy bolters are able to finish of the screamers while the Basilisks blow the Harvester Cannon off the Soulgrinder. End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 3
A 9 man squad of horrors drops behind my left flank Guardsmen blob.
The Lord of Change swoops above and uses his Gaze to cause a wound on the mortar squad. The Soulgrinder and horrors on the pad shoot the left flank blob and kill 15 men. The freshly arrived Horrors turn around and shoot a ton of fire into the rear armor of my neglected Razorback, glancing it to a wreck! The Chaos Marines advance on the right flank.
The men of the Valhallan 32nd manned the barricades around the supply point, ducking under the sustained bolter fire from the advancing Chaos Space Marines. Troopers were being cut down left and right by the explosive shells, and while they kept their heads down they were unaware of the advancing Obliterator treading towards them. Its grotesque bio-mechanical arms formed into a heavy flamer and let loose a gout of daemonic promethium, incinerating a number of Guardsmen.
Suddenly the flames stopped, and the monstrosity started running at the comparatively puny troopers. "Cut him down! Cut him down!" shouted the sergeants while scores of lasgun shots went wide in a futile attempt to bring that thing down before it hit their line. One bold meltagunner brought his weapon to bear on the power-armored beast and while his shot hit, it barely slowed the damn thing down before it could bowl over one of the troopers. Bayonets, chainswords, axes and bare fists clanged off the thick bio-metal carapace of the invader, and its armor was all but impenetrable. The rallying cries of the Commissar kept the troopers standing where they were as they continued their efforts to kill the thing.
End of the turn looked like this:

The CCS lascannon finally hits something, and blows the phlegm cannon off the Soulgrinder. The mortars and flamer PCS kill 5 of the horrors on the pad, including the bolt of change. The Leman Russes take aim:

"Loader!" commanded Viktor, tank commander of the Valhallan Leman Russ Sickle. The loader placed one of the heavy Munitorum shells in the breach of the battle cannon. "Gunner, take aim!" and the turret started to turn. "Fire!" he shouted, as the tank bucked from the kick of the gun. The riders on top of the tank held onto their helmets and rifles as they tried their hardest not to fall off the tank. A shell went downrange towards the figures in red power armor, smashing through trees on its way there. The blast deforested the immediate area, and left nothing but a crater and a pile of body parts. "Direct hit! Loader!" and the loader put another shell in the breach.
The Leman Russes together killed four of the Marines from the Chaos Marine squad, leaving just the champion and the sorcerer. My Marines shoot and charge the small horror squad, wiping them out without losing a man. The wounded left flank blob, losing five troopers to Overwatch but wiping the daemons out. The melee on the right continues, with the Obliterator killing two Guardsmen and taking one wound in return, courtesy a sergeant's power axe. The Sorceror and his Champion make a morale taste, failing it and falling back! End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 4
The Lord and his lone Chaos Marine buddy fall back off the table after failing to regroup. The Soulgrinder tries running after the Marines but is out of charge range, and the horrors kill everyone in my left flank PCS except the commander himself. But something is stalking my infantry...
The Lord of Change charges them and kills 3, but morale holds. End of the turn looked like this:

It's about 10:15 and we have to be out at 10:30, so I just put some fire down and kill some horrors, put a third hullpoint of damage on the Soulgrinder, and secure all three objectives. We call it, and the end of the game looks like this:

Librarian Marco advanced with his bodyguard onto one of the three supply points around the starport. He dropped to a knee and started speaking an incantation. As he chanted, the remaining daemons around him hesitated, turning away from the Valhallans and towards him. The largest of them started bounding towards him, but vanished before it could get too close. Curses in tongues unknown to man echoed throughout the forests as the few Daemons still on the field dissolved as suddenly as they appeared. With that, he and his Marines left the field, without so much as a parting word to Petrovik or his men. Petrovik suspected they were in the sector on Inquisitorial business, but thought it best to just be thankful for the assistance of the Space Marines.

The mess hall the following evening was filled with stories of troopers arm wrestling daemons into submission, killing squads of Chaos Marines singlehandedly, and toasts to their fallen comrades. For facing the manifest evils of hell itself, Petrovik's men were in decidedly good spirits. While the men were rowdier than the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer permitted, he kept his Commissars from doling out demerits and executions tonight. Petrovik had already received orders from command that they would be leaving this planet soon, and heading into the heart of hell itself. While they had held the line, the Chaos sorceror still lived. Until he was dead, daemonic incursions would grow in frequency and severity in the sector. Their next assignment would take them deep into Chaos territory, onto the hellworld the sorceror called home...

That was a fun game! While we had to end it a turn early, it was a pretty decisive victory for my Valhallans. We forgot quite a few rules, as stated earlier on, but it's still very early in this edition for both of us. Unfortunately my opponent's dice weren't so hot for much of the game, and despite having the ability to dictate where the battle was fought, ended up spread out against my army. You need to focus on one big chunk of my army at a time to really do much damage, and his forces were generally too spread out to do much damage. I was able to clinically pick apart each part of his army fairly well after the first turn, and there wasn't enough redundancy in his list to really keep his dangerous units threatening. I'll let him go on further though; he took a bunch of pictures too and will be posting a battle report from his side of the table soon! I'm looking forward to it, since it means more awesome pictures of two beautifully painted armies fighting over a great table. We also will be doing a rematch sometime soon on the club's daemon world table. We had a fight on my turf, now it's his turn!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:25 pm

Indeed it was an epic battle! As Campbell promised (threatened?), I'll work up something like a battle report of my own and post it here in a few days. In the meantime, I'll agree with his strategic assessment: I spread my daemons too thinly along his line, letting him bring the entire, awesome firepower of the Imperial Guard to bear on my forces. What I should have done, in retrospect, was to try to come in on one flank (something the terrain would have let me do). Really if it hadn't been for night fight, I would have been mowed down earlier. As it was, Campbell played his hand very skillfully and earned a victory that was both decisive and well-deserved.

Here are some of my favorite pics from the battle.

First, a look at Valhallan heavy iron unlimbering in the predawn chill:

And look at the guardsmen gathering their resolve as fearful forms take shape in the mist:
(I love that picture. It really captures the tragic splendor of SRM's army.)

One particularly "cinematic" episode came when combined warpfire from the Horrors and phlegm from the Soul Grinder...
... shredded one of Campbell's blob squads, leaving only the Commissar standing. Of course he didn't break. Instead, he bellowed defiance at the foul minions:
There it is right there: classic 40k folks.

From there it was downhill for the Harrowed. I'm rusty at this; I feel as though I've forgotten how to play daemons. But I learned some sharp lessons, and my Harrowed are baying for a rematch. Valhallans beware!
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby tinfoil » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:33 pm

One more: Here's Campbell, of course primping his toy men but check out Brad smirking in the background as he anticipates my changing my plan and beginning my strateegeric blundering:
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Snow

Postby Living_Host » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Hey All,

Looks like an awesome game! Thanks for posting the pics and recap guys. Also thanks much for the great narrative!

Those Valhallans do look really sweet on that snow table too 8)

B
Living_Host

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique