New split-fire rulez

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

New split-fire rulez

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Now you can only have one mini from the unit shoot at a separate target.

Why did they limit it like that, do you think? Were they worried that Long Fangs were too good, or something?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby afeinman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm

What are you reading?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Long Fangs seem unaffected... they "only one guy shoots" rule is from the UNiversal Rule "Split Fire". Long Fangs have "Fire Control" (and only while the Pack Leader lives) which is totally seperate. Nothing in the FAQ saying it counts as "Split Fire" either.

I think that just means you're going to see more fire power splitting going forward, not that the Wolves will lose any of theirs.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby xxfltcom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:04 pm

You are referring to the "Split Fire" special rule which I think no unit has, yet.

I look through the FAQ and found nothing saying that Long Fangs now had Split Fire. As far as I can tell Long Fangs continue to follow the codex special rule "Fire Control." That allows you to target 2 different enemy and you nominate who is shooting which target, as long as the Sargent is alive.

Moreover Tau target lock in FAQ also seems to allow any model with target lock to shot at a different target than the rest of the unit.
xxfltcom

Postby NobleSavage » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Ah! Thank you for alleviating my ignorance. Or at least some of it.

There's probably nothing you can do about the rest of it.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Split Fire

Postby Living_Host » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Split Fire is interesting and I'm hoping that it becomes prevalent in the game across multiple units. I like the idea that a heavy or special weapon can shoot at a different target than the rest of the squad.

One point about it that might need further clarification is that if a unit utilizes the Split Fire rule how does it influence which unit or units the shooting unit might be able to charge. The main rulebook doesn't address it specifically and I didn't see anything in the latest FAQ.

B
Living_Host

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 pm

The rulebook does address it... it says you may only charge what you target for shooting. No different than how "We are legion" works for C:D armies now.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Rulebook

Postby Living_Host » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 am

The rulebook (pg 20 of the mini rulebook at the bottom) presents the following:

In addition to the above, a unit that fired in the shooting phase can only charge the unit that it targeted during that turn's Shooting phase.

My question is due to the "the". "The" implies that there is only a singular unit that can be charged. My question is, which one? Is there a primary and secondary target, etc.? If so, would one of them be "charge proof" because it wasn't "the" unit targeted in shooting?

Personally I'd play it as if a unit was shot at it can be charged. However, when I see rules like this I think about how I'd have to judge these situations if they arose in a tournament when I owned my store. Seems like it would come down to a judgement call rather than a "letter of the rule".

B
Living_Host

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:06 am

Are you seriously being a rules lawyer? Seriously?

I'll be MORE than happy to deny you any charge if you shoot multiple units. In the meantime, the rest of us will follow common sense and assume that if you shoot it you can charge it until they FAQ it.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Rules Lawyer

Postby Living_Host » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 am

Are you seriously being a rules lawyer?

Please re-read my post above. I agree with you. In a pick-up game/friendly game there's no way that I'd deny a charge over this. As I said above, I'd play it as a unit can charge anything that it shoots at.

However, when you're running a tournament players can get very competitive and occasionally a tourney's results can come down to a call over a rule like this. As a game that supports an internationally very competitive tournament structure I would hope that questions like this get caught and addressed through play tests, erratas, etc.

It's easy to criticize the sportsmanship of someone who makes an issue out of something like this, which is where I imagine a tourney player's score would reflect the outcome of this potential question regardless of a judge's ruling.

As a judge though my goal is to enforce the rules of the game fairly and consistently and to assure that everyone has a good time. To head this off, I'd probably announce an "in-store errata" to the players before the tourney kicked off so that everyone knew in advance how an "official" decision on this issue would play out in advance.

B
Living_Host

Postby mace_ace » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 am

So then you guys agree.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 am

TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 am

Brian.. shut the fuck up and don't rise to the bait so easily. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Bait

Postby Living_Host » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 am

Hahahahahaha, no worries. 8)

B
Living_Host

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique