Tactica Illuminatus - Objectives

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Tactica Illuminatus - Objectives

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Tacticus Illuminatus - Objectives

Greetings Disciple,

When people analyze Warhammer 40k, they often argue the importance of the various phases of the game. Some are students of the Shooting Phase while others make a case for the Assault Phase as the most important. Still others hold to the school of thought that the Movement Phase is the king of the Battlefield. All of these arguments hold merit, and all are worthy, but today we’re going to talk about a completely different phase that most people give little to no thought on yet completely impacts the game from start to end.

The Objective placement phase.

There are a few basic rules when it comes to objective placement that the 40k game system imposes on us. Chiefly these are as follows:

1. No objective may be placed within 6â€
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I really enjoyed this little tactica. Thanks!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Thought provoking.

Objective missions have definitely changed the way I compose my army lists. As you say there could potentially be 5 objectives. Your opponent has a home objective, you have a home objective, then you're fighting over the 3 objectives that are up for grabs. So I like to have at least 4 troop choices. It's a really good framework to use when making an army list.

We also need to practice alternate terrain deployment instead of having the battlefield all set up beforehand.

I used to hate objective missions but now I welcome the challenge of trying to "do something" instead of just scoring kill points.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Objective missions are an equalizer... it's easy to build an army that just kills... it's another thing entirely to build one that can do multiple things.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique