Tuning up the ol' Nurgle list

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Tuning up the ol' Nurgle list

Postby afeinman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm

So I heard some rumors about the CSM codex. Bashing them together into a list, my old "7 squads of 7" list looks something like this:

Typhus
7 Plague Marines (2 meltaguns, power weapon)
7 Plague Marines (2 meltaguns, power weapon)
7 Plague Marines (2 plasmaguns, power fist)
7 Plague Marines (2 plasmaguns, boon)
7 Terminators (Mark of Nurgle, Reaper, Veterans, mix of combis and weapons)

Herald of Nurgle (Breath of Chaos, Aura of Decay)
7 Plaguebearers
7 Plaguebearers

...which works out to 1996 points now. YIKES. This used to be an 1850 list. And Plaguebearers got (IMHO) worse.

Most of the money comes from the Terminators, who weigh in at about 350 pts. I had to put in the Herald, and yeah, he could be cheaper, but then he really feels like a token. Or for 20 points more go with Epidemius for maximal cheesiness.

I could combine the Plaguebearer squads, of course, but if I'm doing that I might as well throw out the sacred numbers entirely and go with 3 squads of 10, etc., etc.

Anyways. I might still try it just to get shot off the table by some Flyer I can't threaten.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Sizzly » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 pm

What are your thoughts on plague zombies instead of the daemons?
Sizzly
Only Mostly Dead

Postby Sizzly » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 pm

What are your thoughts on plague zombies instead of the daemons?
Sizzly
Only Mostly Dead

Postby afeinman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Yuck?

I mean, they're cheap, but (a) I love the plaguebearer models and (b) they suck at everything except coming in large numbers.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby the_trooper » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 pm

afeinman wrote:Yuck?

I mean, they're cheap, but (a) I love the plaguebearer models and (b) they suck at everything except coming in large numbers.

4 points each, have FNP and fearless. Only anti tank weapons remove their FNP.

As for the list itself, it's not too far off from what I've been thinking (I mean, you can only roll out PGs in so many load outs). Once the zombie bit gets FAQ'ed I want to run it with a horde of zombies for the LatD feel.

The plague bearers give some nice reach on the board for objectives which is really nice. I dunno, except for flyer spam, this list may not be that bad. MC's don't scare you and tanks don't scare you (when they are close).

It's 1996 because you weren't forced to take a herald and plague marines are monsters now. I think you traded up.
"I don't actually play Warhammer, I just talk about how awesome it is when I do play. You know, like BMW drivers and sex."
the_trooper

Postby xxfltcom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Do you need the powerfist? He is probably going to die in challenges more often than win them. 3+ save is not enough protection for the PF, melta bombs and power weapon for 20 pts and you are more likely to survive if not win challenges, and you have good anti tank (more like anti Land Raider)

I like the list, tough and sticks to the fluff.

Nurgle looks like a tough army to beat and the psychic powers are the best in the codex if not of all the disciplines.

With typhus I would have expected zombies, fearless/fnp troop choice. Down side is SNP, no shotting attack and base 1 att. I think 2 squads of 14 (132 pts for 28) or 2 squads of 21 (188 pts for 42) will be hard to dislodge. Especially when there are other units like your plaguemarines are dealing damage. Your opponent will not have enough firepower to deal with both. And both those units hold objectives. Then all the other units can concentrate on killing the warlord, linebraeker and first blood. All types of marines , tau, necrons, eldar, dark eldar will struggle against this army. Tyranids, orks will probably rip it apart in cc. And IG will bombard it.
xxfltcom

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique