First Black Legion list with new codex

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Postby afeinman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

Fred, you bringing back the LatD now? Cultists!
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby mace_ace » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm

afeinman wrote:Mason, the list looks very legiony and black. I'm curious where the Tzeentch fits into an otherwise unmarked list--is Tzeentch working on these guys as converts?

Unfortunately you MUST take a god's mark for a DP now. I'd rather it be all Chaos Undivided but it seems you can't do that with a DP anymore.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby stormboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 pm

I wonder if they are basically saying the DP couldn't have gained the gifts without the worshiping of one god over the others?

Fluffwise, that makes sense. You want power - worship. Be undivided all you want - but real gifts come with worshiping one god to the exclusion of all else....

Is that a huge difference from the previous dex? Overall, does it cause wide spread change to the overall list?
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Brutal Legend » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Don't forget that with the mark of tzeentch on the DP, he gets to reroll failed saves on which you roll a "1".
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Hippie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Brutal Legend wrote:Demon Prince is good. That's the way I have mine. Tzeentch gives him a 4++

Daemon of Tzeentch is NOT +1 invul save like Mark of Tzeentch is. He only gets hatred(Nurgle) and reroll saving throws of 1's.

I think the stat line of the Prince sets its role solidly in Melee. Just do Wings and PA and go vector strike on your way to crush enemies(needing 5's to hit him AFTER he swings at I8). Especially with Eldar Runes stopping you from using those psychic powers that you spent points on.
Hippie

Postby Brutal Legend » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Hippie wrote:Daemon of Tzeentch is NOT +1 invul save like Mark of Tzeentch is. He only gets hatred(Nurgle) and reroll saving throws of 1's.

Yeah, you're right. My bad Mark of tzeentch is different rules than Demon of tzeentch.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby xxfltcom » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 pm

I brought it up more as awareness. Some may look at the list and not realize that.
xxfltcom

Postby mace_ace » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Jack, those are my assumptions as well. And no, it doesn't make a huge change to the list play wise, but fluff wise I'm not happy with it. There are many cases in the fluff where a DP is made by a union of just any old demon and a marine. In the BL novels there are a ton of undivided demons.

Hippie beat me to the MoT vs DoT difference.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby mace_ace » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Hippie wrote:
I think the stat line of the Prince sets its role solidly in Melee. Just do Wings and PA and go vector strike on your way to crush enemies(needing 5's to hit him AFTER he swings at I8). Especially with Eldar Runes stopping you from using those psychic powers that you spent points on.

I can't do just wings and PA because you MUST choose to upgrade to a "Demon of (insert god here)". If I could do that I would.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby afeinman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Not a lot of Eldar around here...
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Hippie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:51 pm

You do need to give him a Mark/Daemon of X, But the sorcerer bit just makes him more expensive and it's still a psychic test/roll to hit/etc. I'd save the points and just use him to vector strike and melee and for that Daemon of Slaanesh is probably best(and 5 pts cheaper too) since he'll gain fleet(hatred Khorne, rending and the 3" extra run not big deals).
Hippie

Postby Sizzly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Hatred of Khorne. Stupidhead rule. I hate Khorne, said nobody ever.
Sizzly
Only Mostly Dead

Postby xxfltcom » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm not convinced that the DP will be good at downing fliers he get d3+1 S6 AP 3 hits with vector strike. Stormravens and Vendettas are AV12, best you'll do is glance on a 6.

The DP with wings is going to be hard to use for anti-flier. They are a good supplement but they don't substitute 4 missile launcher havocs with Str 7 48" range. But if you are lucky and get doombolt. Then its worthwhile but then again you can't plan to role a 3-4 everytime on one or even 2 dice.

Tzeentch DP with Wings/PA psyker 3 (to increase the chances of Doombolt) Spell familiar 310 pts

Havocs x 10 with 4 missile launchers/flakk mark of nurgle 260 pts

Put havocs in cover hey get 5+ cover with 6 W and T5 before you get to ML, DP has 4 w and T5 with 5+ inv.
xxfltcom

Postby mace_ace » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm

You know, I was thinking because he's a monsterous creature you could use the smash rule but I'm thinking that's not at all the case and that vector strike won't allow that. Crap. On the plus side when I try this out I know my opponent doesn't have any flyers :D
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Hippie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 pm

I just think he gets too expensive trying to gain skyfire ability(and it's still a psychic power which can get denied). When you can get a quad gun with interceptor and skyfire for 50pts and have some chump shoot it why invest more pts in the 4 T5 wounds?. There are other options now as well(havocs, Heldrake, Daemon allies with LoC HQ, Other allies with flyers, etc)
Hippie

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique