Valhallans vs. Space Wolves - 1500 points [pics]

Discuss your armies, how you want to use them, and how they fared in battle!

Valhallans vs. Space Wolves - 1500 points [pics]

Postby SRM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 am

After living in my apartment for close to three months, I was finally able to get a game in on my table! Ron brought Space Wolves to fight my Valhallans, and we settled on a 1500 point game. I'm writing this pretty late at night and after a long day, so no fluff this time around. Here goes!

1500 points
Dawn of War deployment
Purge the Alien mission

Valhallan 32nd Rifles:
- CCS with MoO, lascannon, company standard
- PCS with 3 flamers
- 31 man blob with power sword x2, power axe, melta x3, Commissar with power axe
- PCS with 3 grenade launchers
- 31 man blob with power sword, power axe, melta x3, Commissar with power sword
- HWS with mortars
- HWS with heavy bolters
- HWS with missile launchers
- Hellhound x2 in a squadron
- LRBT with lascannon
- LRBT with lascannon

Space Wolves:
- Wolf Priest with crozius, Oath of War (infantry)
- Grey Hunters x9 with power sword, plasma gun, standard, Wolf Guard with power fist, Drop Pod
- Grey Hunters x8 with power sword, flamer, standard, Wolf Guard with power fist, Drop Pod
- Long Fangs with 3x missile launcher, lascannon, Wolf Guard, Razorback with lascannons
Iron Snakes Space Marines allies:
- Librarian
- Tactical squad with lascannon, flamer, combi-flamer, Rhino
- Scout squad with bolters, combi-melta
- Land Speeder Storm
- Ironclad Dreadnought with Lucius-pattern Drop Pod

For Warlord Traits, he rolled an ability that would penalize my reserves rolls by 1. I rolled one that let everyone within 12" of my commander use his leadership. This would come in handy!

Ron won the roll off, and put his army down first. He combat squadded the tactical squad so half had the lascannon in a building while the other half with the flamers ran with the Librarian in their Rhino. His Long Fangs took up position in a ruin, which also covered their Razorback. The two squads of Grey Hunters, Land Speeder Storm, and Ironclad all remained in reserve. I set up a pretty typical castle around a ruin, with my heavy weapons at the center with my CCS, blobs on each side, the Hellhounds on my left and my Leman Russes on my right. Deployment looked like this:
And a blurry glamour shot of my boys:

He won first turn and I failed to seize, so on to turn 1!

TURN 1
Drop Pod Assault saw his plasma Grey Hunters and Ironclad drop right next to my Russes:
The Librarian in his Rhino also drove up past the Temple of Skulls, popping smoke. The Dreadnought shoots its meltagun at the closest Russ, blowing off its lascannon. The drop pods themselves plink a wound off the heavy bolter teams, and the Grey Hunters drop 9 Guardsmen with bolter fire. The Combat Squad lascannon plinks a hullpoint off a Hellhound, and the Long Fangs and their Razorback bounce all their shots off a Russ. The Dreadnought assaults (Lucius Pattern Drop Pods!) and blows up the Russ, catching three members of the second Platoon Command Squad in the process. End of the turn looked like this:

I move my Hellhounds up, my blob slightly towards the Wolves, and my remaining Russ slightly backwards. I order my missile launcher teams to Bring it Down on the Ironclad, and they blow it to pieces! The CCS also Brings it Down on the Razorback, blowing it up, but the Master of Ordnance's blast goes off target, hitting the Long Fangs and killing two! They take a pinning test, and are pinned down! The view from the top of my ruins is pretty nice:
Blob 1 on the left advances, and with a FRFSRF order, shoots dead two marines from the first Combat Squad, including the lascannon gunner. Combined fire from the right side blob, mortars, and heavy bolters kill 5 Grey Hunters, with the Russ missing altogether. Finally, the Hellhounds flat out towards the Combat Squad in the ruin. End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 2
More Grey Hunters drop in, Wolf Priest in tow:
They drop in along with the Scouts in their Land Speeder Storm, who disembark. They all come in on the locator beacon in one of the first Drop Pods, accurately swarming my right flank. The Librarian in his Rhino drove up the middle. The Grey Hunters who were already on the ground kill two Guardsmen from the blob, but the newly-arrived ones manage to get some shots on the flank of the unit, killing a meltagun, two sergeants, and most importantly the Commissar! The scouts take their single combi-melta shot at the Leman Russ, immobilizing it. The guns on the drop pods mow down two of my heavy bolter teams. Far away, the Combat Squad in the ruins tries to paste my Hellhounds with a krak grenade. It doesn't go so well. Then, the assault happens:
The wounded Grey Hunters charge the similarly wounded (and now defanged) blob, and one Marine gets gunned down on the way in. I issue a challenge and cause a wound, but it's with the squad's remaining sergeant, who is the only sergeant in my army without a power weapon. The Wolf Guard makes his save and pastes him, while one more Guardsman gets killed in the swirling melee. Fortunately, I'm close enough to my command squad to both use my Warlord's leadership (I told you it'd be useful!) and reroll with the banner. These same rules kept my wounded heavy bolter team from falling back also. End of the turn looked like this:

My ML teams are ordered to Bring it Down on the Librarian's Rhino, and do exactly that! The vehicle detonates, taking everyone but the Librarian and flamer Marine with it! The CCS takes the same order but at the Drop Pods, pinging a hullpoint off one with the scattering Master of Ordnance, and exploding the other with their lascannon. The blast takes out a Grey Hunter from the nearest squad. The untouched left flank blob FRFSRF's into the Librarian and his buddy, and wipe them out with their lasguns. The LRBT targets the Grey Hunters right next to it, but the shot scatters and blows away three Scouts while pinging a hullpoint off their speeder. The heavy bolter teams follow this up by gunning another Scout down. Mortars drop two Grey Hunters, and the Hellhounds finish off the remaining Combat Squad. The PCS on the right tries to kill the Speeder with shooting and charging, but the jink save keeps it safe. The Grey Hunters in assault with my blob kill two, forcing them to fall back. End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 3
The Long Fangs get back up and split fire, killing two from the retreating blob with a frag missile and the remaining heavy bolter team with a krak shell. The wounded Grey hunters try to go after the CCS, but can't get line of sight on them. Instead, they give chase to the retreating blob:
They charge in, and while one gets shot dead with overwatch, the Grey Hunters win and overrun the Valhallans. The other Grey Hunters attack the Leman Russ, with the Wolf Priest wrecking the tank. The lone Scout charges the PCS, killing the grenade launcher but losing out to the officer.End of the turn looked like this:

My Hellhounds loop towards the Long Fangs and the blob moves in for the kill. The CCS Brings Down one drop pod, while again scattering and pinging a hull point off another. The ML team is given the order to Fire on My Target on the Long Fangs, and they kill two. The advancing wave of blob kills the three Grey Hunters in the open, while the lone officer goes after the Speeder. He's understandably miffed when mortars go off target from the Grey Hunters and wreck it:
End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 4
Said lone officer is unceremoniously gunned down by Drop Pod stormbolter fire. The Long Fangs get a hit in on the advancing Hellhounds, but their smoke save stops it. The Wolf Priest and his Grey Hunters strike a menacing pose as they hope for a hail-Mary charge on the CCS:
They come very close, but don't make it.
End of the turn looks like this:

My blob moves up to go after the Grey Hunters, and my Hellhounds turn around and start heading in the same direction. FoMT and the ML teams spells the end for the Long Fangs, and the CCS Brings Down the other Drop Pod. With FRFSRF and something like 67 shots, my blob manages all of two unsaved wounds on the Grey Hunters. Guess they had their lasguns set to "Nerf" there. End of the turn looked like this:

TURN 5:
The Grey Hunters move in for my CCS, charge, and kill them without getting touched. After this Ron called it, as it was getting late and he only had about 6 models left on the table. End of the game looked like this:
And just for extra fun, with the lights out:

That was a really fun game! I wish I did something more useful with my Hellhounds, but my Missile Launcher teams more than made up for it. The Ironclad Dreadnought, a Razorback, AND the Long Fangs? That's MVP stuff right there! The CCS wasn't too shabby either, and did a lot of the heavy lifting with the lascannon and Master of Ordnance. I definitely over-committed on the left flank, but against a deep strike-heavy army I couldn't be too sure. I probably should have moved the mortar teams to block the assault on the CCS before he tried the failed charge, but it was a pretty solid victory already. We forgot to roll for Night Fighting, but it didn't seem like a huge deal.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the report!
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Valhallans vs. Space Wolves - 1500 points [pics]

Postby TheRhino » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:35 pm

SRM wrote:Image

All I can think of when looking at this pic is the two Marines in the downed speeder saying "Well, I never!" and "Oh bother, I believe I've rather broken my neck!"

Good report, though. :)
TheRhino

Postby SRM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:30 pm

They just quabble like an old, bullet-ridden married couple all day.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Valhallans vs. Space Wolves - 1500 points [pics]

Postby afeinman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

TheRhino wrote:All I can think of when looking at this pic is the two Marines in the downed speeder saying "Well, I never!" and "Oh bother, I believe I've rather broken my neck!"

"This is another fine mess you got us into!"

"I told you we shoulda made a left toin at Albiquoiqee!"

"But the GPS said the road was right here!"
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby NobleSavage » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:22 am

Good stuff, Campbell, and a fun game, too. Thanks for writing that up!
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Discussion Armies, Tactica, Battle Reports, and List Critique